Line length too long. DATA Communication Failed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    I'm looking for some advice for a third party that had trouble sending us inhouse created emails using Office 2003 products.
    I tracked the problem to our Watchguard firewall SMTP Proxy rule > line length excceded 1000 characters (we have since increased that limit to allow these emails through). This was true in the internet headers Thread-Index field. This seems to be a violation of RFC 821 "Text line."

The user wants to know how to fix this or likely not. I thought it might have something to do with the way the user sends the emails. I'm not sure how the Thread-Index is created and what variables are involved?

They create the HTML email in Word2003 (as the default editor of Outlook 2003) then send via outlook using a distribution list in the BCC field.

Any insight would be great to hear.
    Thanks
    Barry
    • Edited by Bazagee Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:29 PM additional info
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:26 PM

Answers

• Hi James,

Sorry for the late reply. 

The problems is solved by adjusting the rule on the Firewall to allow more than 1000 bytes or characters as stated in the first message above. 

This request/post is more a "How does the Threas-Index field work"? And, if it might have anything to do with the way that the user creating these emails in Office as discribed above.

I'm wondering how the Thread-Index field charater string is generated.

To answer some of your questions:
    Yes we use one Exchange 2003 server 6.5 Build 7638.2 SP2 in our trusted side The recipients did not recieve the emails because of Our WatchGuard Firewall SMTP Proxy rule. The user did get a Data communication error message - which lead me to finding that error in the IIS SMTP logs of our sending MTA.

Thanks for the replay and again sorry for my late responce.

Cheers
    Barry
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:55 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:08 PM

All replies

• Check info:

1.      Do you use exchange? If so, what are the product version and the topology?

2.      What’s the symptom for this mail sending trouble? The recipients in your domain won’t receive the mails, right? What about the sender side? Do they receive any generated NDR? Does the message stuck in anywhere?

3.      Does the issue still occur if you disable the firewall temporarily?

4.      Does the issue happen to all incoming mails, or just this specific 3rd party sender domain?

5.      Does the issue happen to all incoming mails from this specific 3rd party sender domain? Please try to ask for a simple text test mail from this domain

Friday, October 23, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Any update?
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 1:09 AM
  • Hi James,

Sorry for the late reply. 

The problems is solved by adjusting the rule on the Firewall to allow more than 1000 bytes or characters as stated in the first message above. 

This request/post is more a "How does the Threas-Index field work"? And, if it might have anything to do with the way that the user creating these emails in Office as discribed above.

I'm wondering how the Thread-Index field charater string is generated.

To answer some of your questions:
    Yes we use one Exchange 2003 server 6.5 Build 7638.2 SP2 in our trusted side The recipients did not recieve the emails because of Our WatchGuard Firewall SMTP Proxy rule. The user did get a Data communication error message - which lead me to finding that error in the IIS SMTP logs of our sending MTA.

Thanks for the replay and again sorry for my late responce.

Cheers
    Barry
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, October 29, 2009 12:55 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:08 PM