none
Could not retrieve server initialization data (Project 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to connect to my Project Server (PWA) via my Project professional or vice versa, I am getting the error "Could not retrieve server initialization data". I am aware that there have been multiple threads on this error before but I have looked through them and tried their solutions but I am still getting the error.

I am trying to log in using the site administrator credentials and I have already double checked that the necessary permissions have been checked off.

Does anybody have any ideas what I could do to resolve this?

Extra Information (Not sure if any of this would help):

Using Windows Server 2008 R2, Sharepoint Server 2010, Project Server 2010 and Project Professional 2010.

EDIT: (There are a couple of services that I have noticed are stopped, not sure if any of these are relevant but I'm going to list them out just in case: SharePoint Foundation Search, User Profile Synchronization Service, Document Conversions Launcher Service, Document Conversions Load Balancer Service, Microsoft Sharepoint Foundatoin Sandboxed Code Service and Microsoft Sharepoint Foundation Subscription Settings Service.

Also, when checking the windows event logs I seem to be getting generic MSSOAP errors, hopefully that helps narrow down the problem.)

Friday, March 25, 2011 3:21 PM

Answers

• Are you logged into your computer with the Admin credentials?  If not, do
    you get prompted to enter them when you try to log in?  If no to that, have
    you gone into the security settings for IE and configured them to prompt
    on changing domains (or something like that - it's one of the options towards
    the bottom of the security settings.)

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    • Marked as answer by KmkLeung Friday, March 25, 2011 5:03 PM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 4:49 PM

All replies

• Are you logged into your computer with the Admin credentials?  If not, do
    you get prompted to enter them when you try to log in?  If no to that, have
    you gone into the security settings for IE and configured them to prompt
    on changing domains (or something like that - it's one of the options towards
    the bottom of the security settings.)

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    • Marked as answer by KmkLeung Friday, March 25, 2011 5:03 PM
    Friday, March 25, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Thanks for responding,

That was silly of me, that was the problem! I had it on prompt for logins on normal pages but not trusted pages. It was logging in with my current computer credentials.

Thanks!!!!

Friday, March 25, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Excellent... its working.. but willing to know how this option helped to resolved the problem, since i am already an adminstrator in my PWA..
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 11:30 PM
  • It is an authentication issue.

One possibility is the authentication methods on the sharepoint site do not match the authentication the client is expecting.

Sunday, June 7, 2020 2:17 PM