Powershell script to restrict access to a distributiongroup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on a Powershell script to restrict sending messages to certain distributiongroups. I'm reading the information from a CSV file and

the cmdlet is set-distributiongroup -identity $CSV.Group -AcceptMessagesOnlyFromSendersOrMembers $CSV.Accepts

the problem is that AcceptMessagesOnlyFromSendersOrMembers is a multivalued property. How can I put the separate smtp addresses into a variable, which is understood by the above cmdlet? Any samples?

regards, Richard Neuteboom
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

I would suggest you seek the solution in the Development Forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdevelopment/threads

Just for reference: It is easier if you can create a temp DG to include the mail addresses. The following cmdlets are to add all members of the tempDG to "Only senders in the following list" of restricted DG.

$DG = Get-DistributionGroup "restricted DG"

Get-DistributionGroupMember "tempDG" | foreach {$DG.acceptmessagesonlyfrom += $_.DistinguishedName}

Set-DistributionGroup "restricted DG" -AcceptMessagesOnlyFrom $DG.acceptmessagesonlyfrom

Please use AcceptMessagesOnlyFrom instead of AcceptMessagesOnlyFromSendersOrMembers.

Frank Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:22 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:17 AM

All replies

• how is the Accepts column in your csv file look like?

give a sample?

-join("74686979616775313440686F746D61696C2E636F6D"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",21|%{[char][int]"0x$_"}) www.myExchangeWorld.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 12:57 PM
  • you can update multivalue property like this:

Set-DistributionGroup "Group1" -AcceptMessagesOnlyFromSendersOrMembers user1@domain.com,user2@domain.com

-join("74686979616775313440686F746D61696C2E636F6D"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",21|%{[char][int]"0x$_"}) www.myExchangeWorld.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:01 PM
  • it looks like this:

Group;Accepts
    samplegroup;user1@mydomain.com,user2@mydomain.com,user3@mydomain.com

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Hi Richard,

I would suggest you seek the solution in the Development Forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdevelopment/threads

Just for reference: It is easier if you can create a temp DG to include the mail addresses. The following cmdlets are to add all members of the tempDG to "Only senders in the following list" of restricted DG.

$DG = Get-DistributionGroup "restricted DG"

Get-DistributionGroupMember "tempDG" | foreach {$DG.acceptmessagesonlyfrom += $_.DistinguishedName}

Set-DistributionGroup "restricted DG" -AcceptMessagesOnlyFrom $DG.acceptmessagesonlyfrom

Please use AcceptMessagesOnlyFrom instead of AcceptMessagesOnlyFromSendersOrMembers.

Frank Wang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:22 AM
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:17 AM
  • Hi Frank,

Thanks for your help. I have got the script working for a single group and reading the members from a csv file. the next time I will search the Developement forum. I need to enhance the script so that it can read the groups and members from a CSV file, because I need to migrate about 1400 distribution groups from a Unix Listserver.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:26 PM
  • Worked for me, super THX!
    Friday, September 8, 2017 6:08 AM