"A storage transient failure has occurred during content conversion." RRS feed

• Question

• Configuration:

Two Multi Roled servers running Exchange 2010 SP3 on Server 2012 Standard setup in a DAG

These are new servers that will be replacing our existing two servers

Only my mailbox is hosted on these servers

Two Multi Roled servers running Exchange 2010 SP2 on Server 2008 R2 Standard setup in a DAG

These are our existing production servers

Hosts all production mailboxes

Issue:

Upon configuring the Hub Transport role on the two new Exchange servers, allowing email to flow through them, I noticed messages getting stuck in the submission queue. Looking at the Queue Viewer, I saw the same error for each stuck message:

"A storage transient failure has occurred during content conversion."

So far it seems like this issue only affects messages sent as RichText (Containing Winmail.dat). I tested this by composing a new message from my corporate email account within Outlook 2013, formatting the message as RichText and sending it to my personal external account. When the Exchange SP3 Hub Transport servers processed the message, it got stuck. When one of the Exchange SP2 Hub Transport servers processed the message, it sent without a problem. It's only with these two new servers where the issue exists.

Some users online have mentioned that they experienced this issue with Exchange 2013 and that CU1 fixed the issue. I have not been able to find a fix for this issue for Exchange 2010 SP3 running on Server 2012. Is this a known bug? Is there an undocumented hotfix by Microsoft?

Also - any suggestions on how I can test Hub Transport servers without them being used by other users? 
    Configuring SubmissionServerOverrideList seems to restrict which HT's the mailbox servers can use, but how do I prevent other HT servers from using the problematic HT servers? The last thing I want is for legitimate email to get stuck again and be lost (I'm not aware of a way to export/save messages from the Submission queue).

Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:48 PM

All replies

• To add to this:

The new servers are virtualized with iSCSI attached storage.

The old servers are physical with direct attached storage.

One observation I've made:

The iSCSI attached storage shows up as removable within Server 2012. I've read that this can cause unexpected problems as mentioned in the blog post below. Does anybody know if this could cause a problem with Exchange?

http://www.briantist.com/errors/server-2012-vmware-esxi-permissions-errors-removable-storage-auditing/

Thursday, May 23, 2013 5:56 PM
  • Hi

Have a try to set TNEFEnabled to true

Get-RemoteDomain | Set-RemoteDomain -TNEFEnabled $true

Cheers

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Zi Feng
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 24, 2013 9:01 AM
  • Hi

any update on this issue?

Cheers

Zi Feng

Monday, May 27, 2013 3:07 AM
  • I was able to release the messages by setting TNEFEnabled to $false. The messages included the winmail.dat as an attachment. After the messages were released, I set the value back to $null and disabled the Transport service on both servers until I can figure out the cause of this issue.

Question - If I set TNEFEnabled to $true, does this mean all messages (i.e. HTML) will be converted to RTF when sent to external domains?

One thing that I have done since my last post was disable HotAdd/HotPlug capability on the two virtualized Exchange servers running on Server 2012. I'm going to re-enable the HT services tonight and see if the issue still exists.

Reference: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012225

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Hi

If set to true, TNEF encoding will be used on all messages sent to all remote domain.

Cheers

Zi Feng

Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:16 AM
  • I've opened a support case with Microsoft.
    Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:03 PM
  • Update: This has been accepted as a bug by Microsoft.

Friday, June 14, 2013 11:09 PM
  • any news about this? i have Exchange 2010 on a 2012 server and i have random meeting invites that get this

exact error..

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:58 PM
  • The last update I received from Microsoft is that their development team has accepted the bug for a fix and are targeting Exchange 2010 SP3 RU2, which is about 3 months out. I imagine they'll have a fix much sooner in which case an Interim Update could be requested.

I'm now looking into deploying Exchange 2013 CU1 on Server 2012.

Monday, June 24, 2013 4:41 PM
  • hmm, thanks for the info. is it possible that this error is due to Exchange 2010 on a 2012 server?

i have a Exchange 2010 on a 2008 r2 server and never have had this problem.

i guess i have to try the TNEFEnabled to $false as a workaround for now :-(

Monday, June 24, 2013 8:38 PM
  • The bug exists with Exchange 2010 SP3 on Server 2012. Exchange 2010 SP3 on Windows Server 2008 R2 doesn't seem to be affected according to Microsoft. This same bug existed in Exchange 2013 and was fixed with CU1.

Monday, June 24, 2013 8:42 PM
  • OK, so what do you Think about the workaround i mentiond earlier? TNEFEnabled to $false

atleast the messages wont get stuck in submission..

Monday, June 24, 2013 9:15 PM
  • So, Is there any way rather than CU1 update on Exchange 2013.? ( Anyway we will shoot it, but for the time being we need a solution.. )

I have tried with TNEFenabled $false for the particular external domain and still it is not working :(

Monday, July 8, 2013 8:57 AM
  • If you call Microsoft they should be able to provide you with an Interim Update to correct the problem.
    Monday, July 8, 2013 4:07 PM
  • I found this thread after researching bounce message "#550 4.4.7 QUEUE.Expired" on a new deployment of Exch 2010 SP3 RU1 on Windows Server 2012.  I tried the workaround in this thread, however it did not work for me.  

I contacted Microsoft Product Support Services last night and they explained there was no hotfix available and that it would be fixed in Rollup 2 in September.  

Microsoft provided me with a slightly different workaround then the one here.  I wrote a blog post explaining what I was told during the call and also the workaround, I hope it helps others:
    A storage transient failure has occurred during content conversion

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Windows servers 2012 with Exchange 2010 SP3

Running the command suggested release the 2 emails from the submission queue after few minutes without restarting any services.
    Get-RemoteDomain | Set-RemoteDomain -TNEFEnabled $true

Thank you

Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:40 AM
  • Hi,
    This problem has been solved in Exchange 2010 SP3 RU2 that was released a few days ago.

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2863310

Martina Miskovic

• Edited by Martina_Miskovic Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by swi_als Tuesday, December 22, 2015 8:43 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Please add a working answer, this answer is everywhere but isn't a solution. This a workaround to get our organisation in deeper problems.
    When TNEF is true all the receivers who doesn't have a exchange receive an winmail.dat or no attachments.
    So all apple users, gmail users, hotmail users etc etc will not receive the mail propperly.
    I getting tired of this problem, every day we have te release the stucked mail by setting TNEF on true. When a user send an email the receiver will receive winmail or no attechement like I said earlier. This is no way to work, it is realy frustrated!
    So please people, who has the answer?? No TNEF settings please, it isn't the solution. The exchange 2013 worked perfect for a few months, than suddenly the mail got stucked in the submission and won't leave. 
    What I have to mention: The disk was full at a moment, we cleaned and give it more space (virtual disk)
    After this the shit went to our necks and mail get stucked in to the submission. Every disk has 50GB + of space over. Please HELP!

Friday, June 6, 2014 7:17 AM
  • Hi, we have the same problem, nobody has an solution. Setting TNEF to true ins't a solution.
    When the setting is true everybody with no exchange get a winmail.dat
    No solution to find, and we search for a month now. Many IT organisation looked at it and can't find a solution. I getting tired of this crappy product, paying a lot of money to get problems, thanks Microsoft! Maybe Microsoft want to pusch us to the cloud and release a crappy product?
    I don't know, the only thing I know is the fact I got 3 years older in one month!
    Please a solution to this, we have:

Exchange 2013
    All disk has more than 50GB + space
    It is all virtual
    A problem with this product

Friday, June 6, 2014 7:25 AM
  • Please add a working answer, this answer is everywhere but isn't a solution. This a workaround to get our organisation in deeper problems.
    When TNEF is true all the receivers who doesn't have a exchange receive an winmail.dat or no attachments.
    So all apple users, gmail users, hotmail users etc etc will not receive the mail propperly.
    I getting tired of this problem, every day we have te release the stucked mail by setting TNEF on true. When a user send an email the receiver will receive winmail or no attechement like I said earlier. This is no way to work, it is realy frustrated!
    So please people, who has the answer?? No TNEF settings please, it isn't the solution. The exchange 2013 worked perfect for a few months, than suddenly the mail got stucked in the submission and won't leave. 
    What I have to mention: The disk was full at a moment, we cleaned and give it more space (virtual disk)
    After this the shit went to our necks and mail get stucked in to the submission. Every disk has 50GB + of space over. Please HELP!

This exact problem has started to happen to us in our Exchange 2013 mail system. It was working fine with Exchange 2013 CU3 and we upgraded to CU5 and the problem with mails getting stuck in the submission queue has started. We are running Windows 2012 fully patched all virtual. Anti-virus ruled out and no third party transport agents present.

We have a ticket open with MS support and I have just provided them with a sample e-mail that gets stuck every time that it gets sent from the Outlook client in RTF format, so hopefully we will have some answers soon.

I will provide an update if I have one.

Friday, July 11, 2014 12:16 AM
  • Please check with disclaimer(that is signature) cut off while sending the meeting request. 
    Monday, July 14, 2014 10:46 PM
  • disable the disclaimer and check
    Monday, July 14, 2014 10:52 PM
  • disable the disclaimer and check

Thanks for the suggestion, but tried disabling and enabling the disclaimer already and it made no difference. Hopefully support will come back with something soon as this really is causing us a problem.

Monday, July 14, 2014 11:11 PM