none
View Access to a Room Mailbox in Exchange Server 2010

Question

• I created a Room Mailbox in Exchange Server 2010.  I want to grant some users view access only.  I ran the following command in the EMS:

C:\Windows\system32>Add-MailboxPermission -identity SoarianCal -User GuapoEL -AccessRights ReadPermission

When I try to open the calendar from the users Outlook account I get a message of 'no connection' at the top and no entries can be seen.  Am I missing something in the command I typed in?  And,  can access be controlled throught the EMC?

Thanks,

Hector

Thursday, April 07, 2011 9:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Hector,

The command you used is to grant users read permission on room mailbox, but  when you try to open the calendar from the users Outlook account, you need have permission on the calendar folder.

You should use command lie to grant the read permission. As far as I know, this permission cannot be granted in EMC.

Add-MailboxPermission

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124097.aspx

Before you open other user’s calendar in Outlook, please make sure you have permission on that calendar.

The calendar owner can grant  users permission on his calendar by this way(in Outlook 2010):

Right click “Calendar”->Properties->Permissions->grant corresponding permission to the users

Thanks,

Evan

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:18 AM
  • This permission is something that can only be controlled through the command line - not EMC.
    Another option would be to grant permissions on the calendar folder itself through Outlook.

Can you access the mailbox through OWA?

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:11 PM

All replies

• This permission is something that can only be controlled through the command line - not EMC.
    Another option would be to grant permissions on the calendar folder itself through Outlook.

Can you access the mailbox through OWA?

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:11 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  Yes,  I just tested it and I can get to it from OWA.

-Hector

Friday, April 08, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Hi Hector,

The command you used is to grant users read permission on room mailbox, but  when you try to open the calendar from the users Outlook account, you need have permission on the calendar folder.

You should use command lie to grant the read permission. As far as I know, this permission cannot be granted in EMC.

Add-MailboxPermission

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124097.aspx

Before you open other user’s calendar in Outlook, please make sure you have permission on that calendar.

The calendar owner can grant  users permission on his calendar by this way(in Outlook 2010):

Right click “Calendar”->Properties->Permissions->grant corresponding permission to the users

Thanks,

Evan

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:18 AM