I have configured SCEP 2012 in CM 2012. Some of the clients are not getting definition updates consistently.
My configuration looks like this:
- Custom Device client settings for SCEP2012 deployed to "All Desktop and Server Clients" collection (Default Client Settings is not deployed)
- Automatic Deployment rule configured to check for definition updates 4x daily (offset 2 hours from SUP sync)
- ADR Software Update Group deployed to collection containing all SCEP 2012 clients
- Custom Antimalware policies created and deployed to collections - all policies set to use only CM as definition source and set to check for definition updates every 4 hours
Some SCEP2012 clients stay current. Other clients are between 4 - 10 definition updates behind. The TechNet documentation does not detail how the SCEP 2012 client definition update process works. I have dug through the client side logs and have not found anything of use.
Can anyone describe the process for me so I can troubleshoot what is happening?
I had to shut the CM server and clients down a few days ago for server maintenance. Since I brought everything back online, all but 1 client has been successfully keeping up with the definition updates. I just uninstalled and reinstalled the SCEP client on the problem server. It pulled the latest update from CM after the reinstall. We'll see if it keeps up the definition updates.
I see that things appear to be clearing up in your environment, but wanted to share the process flow of logs that you could review when deploying defintion/software updates via Configuration Manager 2012 to your clients. Below are client-side logs that you can review. Many times, you can review the WindowsUpdate.log and/or the EndPoint Protection logs and decipher the issue, but wanted to provide the Configuration Manager logs as well.
Configuration Manager 2012 specific logs (C:\Windows\CCM\Logs):
Windows Update Agent log (C:\Windows):
- WindowsUpdate.log - shows download and installation of defintion/software updates
EndPoint Protection logs (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Support):
Hope this helps!