none
Block Email Address

Question

•  

I want to block specific email addresses but not specific domains.

I have create a rejected mailhost list with the addresses but they still get through?

Thanks

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:11 PM

All replies

• - There are 2 steps of creating a "Rejected Mailhost" Filter.  1st you will need to create your list located in the Filtering - Filter List page.  Afterwards you need to ENABLE your list from the Filtering - Mailhost Page and select the SMTP ScanJob and hi-lite the "Rejected Mailhost" option and select your List from step 1

- If the email addresses continues to bypass the "Rejected Mailhost" filter, make sure you view the header information of the emails and see if they are coming from the correct source

- The Rejected Mailhost filter can only recognise the following format:  user@domain.com or *domain.com 

Friday, December 28, 2007 9:42 PM
  • Hi John,

thanks for the response.

I have already done all that you have said but still gets bypassed, any thoughts?

Friday, December 28, 2007 9:44 PM
  • Open the Settings - General Options page and make sure the "Internal Address" field is correct located in the Scanning Section. 

Internal Address:  For the purpose of identifying “Internal Addresses,” administrators will need to enter the domain names that should be sent internal notifications in the field provided. Addresses should be entered as a semicolon delimited list: sybari.com;sybari.net;company.com. When entering a domain address, please be aware that sub-domains are covered by the entry (For example: domain.com will include “subdomain.domain.com,” “subdomain2.domain.com,” etc.). Alternate domains such as “domain.net” or “domain.org” must be entered individually. (For more information about Notifications, please refer to chapter 15.).

SMTP External Host  If you are using an SMTP gateway to route e-mail into your Exchange environment, you may enter the IP address of the gateway server so that Antigen will treat all mail coming from that server as “Inbound” when determining which filters and scan jobs to utilize for a message. If you do not enter the IP address of your SMTP gateway, Antigen will use its internal logic to determine if messages are inbound or internal. (You may enter multiple IP addresses in this field. Please separate each IP address with a semicolon. Do NOT use any spaces.) 

- Also within the Settings - General Options page of the scanning section.  Change the following:  SMTP Sender Information:  Change this to  "Use SMTP protocol MAIL FROM: and save.

Friday, December 28, 2007 9:48 PM
  • I am too experiencing the same problem and still is after following your instruction.

I'm using two Antigens: For exchange and Antigen for SMTP.

Any thoughts?

Sunday, March 30, 2008 5:43 AM
  • - Open the Forefront Administrator and view the Settings - General Options page.

- Within the Scanning Section, There will be an option called "Transport Sender Information".  Please change this to "Use Transport Protocol MAIL FROM:" and save

- Let me know the results

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 3:46 PM
  • Thanks John,

I've already had that setting on both Antigen for SMTP and Antigen for Exchange servers and email still coming through.

What else could it be?

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 7:22 AM
  • - Have you attempted to use the Sender-Domain filtering with Antigen?

- If not, use the following example:  *@domain.com   or user@domain.com  or  newsletter@*

- Make sure you input these into a list first located in the Filtering - Filter List page and then enable them located in the Filtering - Content page

- If both Sender-Domain & Rejected Filtering doesn't work, Please rename the ScanJobs.adb file to ScanJobs.old and restart 1 services called "AntigenService" and see if the workaround resolves your issue
    Thursday, April 03, 2008 10:03 PM
  • MS Ex 2007

I created a transport rule under the Org config for Block Sender Email Addresses.

When the From address contain  %email@addressyouwanttoblock.com%

silently drop message

See if that works....   I just did it today and I am testing it myself.

Friday, April 04, 2008 10:13 PM
  • Thanks John,

Sender-Domain filtering was it. Cheers.

Sunday, April 06, 2008 4:17 AM
  •  

Hello Mr. John,

my self is Raman and i am sending you this mail from India. I was trying to get the points which you had sent to the peoples.

I try but i had some confusion, if you dont mind can you send me the whole procedure that how to use this all how to block a email id. Example if i want to block a email id of waytosatya@hotmail.com then what will the procedure. If i will block it then he will came to know that i had done this thing.

Please make me clear, i will wait for your reply. Please mail me at raman_mdn@yahoo.co.in

Thanks a lot Mr. John.

I love that if you will teach me some thing like this.

Thanks A Lot. 

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 11:27 AM
  • Configuring sender-domains filtering:

Sender-domains filtering enables you to filter messages from particular senders or domains. Wildcard characters can be used to enable such filters as *@domain.com to filter all mail from a certain domain.

Note:
    Sender-domains filtering only applies to the From field in a message. It cannot be used for the To field.
    To configure sender domains filtering
    1. In the Shuttle Navigator, click FILTERING.

2. Select the Content icon. The Content Filtering pane appears.

3. In the upper work pane, select the Realtime Scan Job or the Manual Scan Job. (Content filtering is not available for the Transport Scan Job, but see Keyword filtering.)

4. In the Content Fields pane, select Sender-Domains, and then click the Add button in the Content Filters pane.

5. A text box appears. Type the sender or domain that you would like to filter. If you want to use a generic domain name filter, you must use an * (wildcard character) before the domain name.

Examples:   

A generic domain: *@domain.com

A specific sender: someone@domain.com

6. Press ENTER after you have typed the sender or domain. You may add as many entries as you like.

7. Enable the filter with the Filter field.

8. In the Action field, indicate the action to take if there is a filter match.

9. Indicate whether to Send Notifications if there is a filter match. The Content Administrators set up in the Notification work pane, located under REPORT in the Shuttle Navigator, will be sent a notification that a message was filtered. In addition, you must also configure the notifications (see E-mail notifications).

10. Indicate whether to Quarantine the item if there is a filter match. Enabling quarantine causes deleted attachments and purged messages to be stored, permitting you to recover them. However, worm-purged messages are not recoverable.

11. Click Save.

The scan job looks at both the display name and the e-mail address of the sender to match against sender-domains filters. It applies the filter against the display name of the mailbox first. If the display name and sender e-mail address are different, Forefront Security for Exchange Server also applies the filter against the sender e-mail address. If either matches, the filter action is taken. If you do not want to filter against sender e-mail addresses, set the registry value ContentFilterSMTPAddress to zero (0).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795087.aspx#ConfiguringSenderDomainsFiltering

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 3:45 PM