none
UAG and EXchange 2010 SP1 Rule Changes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Thought I would share what I did to get Exchange 2010 SP1 Owa to work on the UAG:

I added the following rules and ordered them correctly:

·         ExchangePub2010_Rule41 - /owa(/[a-z0-9._-]+@[a-z0-9.-]+)?/[0-9.]+/themes/resources/([a-z0-9_-]+\.(gif|css|wav|wrng|png|ico))

·         ExchangePub2010_Rule42 - /owa(/[a-z0-9._-]+@[a-z0-9.-]+)?/[0-9.]+/themes/resources/(default|black|base|1|2|3)/[a-z0-9_-]+\.(gif|css|wav|wrng|png|ico)

·         ExchangePub2010_Rule43 - /owa(/[a-z0-9._-]+@[a-z0-9.-]+)?/[0-9.]+/themes/resources/(default|black|base|1|2|3)/

·         ExchangePub2010_Rule44 - /owa(/[a-z0-9._-]+@[a-z0-9.-]+)?/[0-9.]+/themes/resources/

Regards,

Al
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Use this additional rule:

ExchangePub2010_Rule45 - /owa(/[a-z0-9._-]+@[a-z0-9.-]+)?/[0-9.]+/themes(/[a-z0-9_-]+)/([a-z0-9_-]+\.(gif|css|wav|wrng|png|ico))

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:41 PM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:12 PM
  • Hi, 
      We released a KB "Issues occur when you publish OWA in Exchange Server 2010 SP1 by using Forefront UAG" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2444842 that describes the required steps to properly publish OWA 2010 SP1 via via UAG.  These steps will not be required in the future as an upcomming update of UAG will include this functionality, but currently as of UAG Update 2 this functionality is not included OOB. 

Regards,
    Dan Herzog
    Microsoft CSS IAG/UAG Support

Monday, November 15, 2010 6:56 PM

All replies

• Thanks Al for sharing those information with the community. But just as an information:

The rules you've posted are working only for the base theme. That means, as soon as an user changes the theme (OWA look'n'feel), you have to add a bunch of additional rules. :-)

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:13 AM
  • Hi,

ExchangePub2010_Rule45 - /owa(/[a-z0-9._-]+@[a-z0-9.-]+)?/[0-9.]+/themes(/[a-z0-9_-]+)/([a-z0-9_-]+\.(gif|css|wav|wrng|png|ico))

• Marked as answer by Erez Benari Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:41 PM
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 12:12 PM
  • hi schmarrap - i added the rules, and owa2010 with sp1 works fine through uag! thx very much!
    gruss, jens mander aka karsten hentrup - www.aixperts.de - www.forefront-tmg.de - www.hentrup.net |<-|
    Friday, September 3, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Hi,

Can someone point me to where these rules need to be created, and how I would do it?

Thanks,

Matt

Sunday, September 5, 2010 11:57 PM
  • hi matt,

take a look @ the trunk settings - url set.

gruss, jens mander aka karsten hentrup - www.aixperts.de - www.forefront-tmg.de - www.hentrup.net |<-|
    Monday, September 6, 2010 7:34 AM
  • Can someone tell me what methods to use for these rules?

Thanks,

Rich

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:30 PM
  • Hi,

Get. I would suggest you use the existing exchange rules as exsample.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:54 PM
  • That worked. But I went to see if i could change themes and found another issue. Clicking on Options gave a pop up box with theme choices. the default one had a thumbnail, but the other themes had red X's. I clicked on one of the red X themes and now the entire page is not formatted at all. Text with no images. Cannot even switch back to the default theme.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 2:10 PM
  • hit the cas server directly and was able to switch back to the default theme, but other themes still not working through UAG
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Did you add the additional rule:

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Yes I already had that additional rule in place.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 3:01 PM
  • Check your rule order and double check you don't have typo.

It works for everyone else

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 3:04 PM
  • I was cutting and pasting from this forum so that i wouldn't have a typo. Turns out I needed to flip 2 characters in the regex of rule 45.

This is the one from this forum:

/owa(/[a-z0-9._-]+@[a-z0-9.-]+)?/[0-9.]+/themes(/[a-z0-9_-]+)/([a-z0-9_-]+\.(gif|css|wav|wrng|png|ico))

This is the one that worked for me:

/owa(/[a-z0-9._-]+@[a-z0-9.-]+)?/[0-9.]+/themes/([a-z0-9_-]+)/([a-z0-9_-]+\.(gif|css|wav|wrng|png|ico))

Characters flipped in bold. Working now. Thanks everyone!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:15 PM
  • Morning folks!

I have created the 5 new rules and implemented then un the URL set but seem to be having the same issue.  are these rules replacing anything?  Should they precede any current ex2010 publishing rules?  Some guidance would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

Derek

Friday, September 10, 2010 12:03 PM
  • Hi, 
      We released a KB "Issues occur when you publish OWA in Exchange Server 2010 SP1 by using Forefront UAG" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2444842 that describes the required steps to properly publish OWA 2010 SP1 via via UAG.  These steps will not be required in the future as an upcomming update of UAG will include this functionality, but currently as of UAG Update 2 this functionality is not included OOB. 

Regards,
    Dan Herzog

Monday, November 15, 2010 6:56 PM
  • Hi, 

Regards,
    Dan Herzog

Cool, thanks for the KB!
    Jason Jones | Forefront MVP | Silversands Ltd | My Blogs: http://blog.msedge.org.uk and http://blog.msfirewall.org.uk
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:40 AM
  • Hello Dan

can you confirm the following:

how do the next UAG Update (I think SP1) will manage the workaround?

thanks

Senior Solution Architect Capgemini
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:20 PM
  • Hello again

for your information, if you are using SharePoint 2010 and your users have added the OWA webparts on their MySite (inbox, calendar...), you still have the event logged, even after applying the workaround which works fine for OWA itself

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft Forefront UAG
    Date:          25/11/2010 21:08:31
    Event ID:      67
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:     
    Description:
    A request from source IP address  on trunk portal; Secure=1 for application Outlook Web Access of type ExchangePub2010 failed. The URL /OWA/14.1.255.0/ClientBin/OwaSl.xap contains an illegal path. The rule applied is Default rule. The method is GET.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:07 PM
  • Thank you for the link!!!!!
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Hey,

How does UAG SP1 affect this if at all?

Cheers

Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Hello

UAG SP1 seems to include the updated rules :D

Sunday, January 16, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Hello again

for your information, if you are using SharePoint 2010 and your users have added the OWA webparts on their MySite (inbox, calendar...), you still have the event logged, even after applying the workaround which works fine for OWA itself

Computer:     
    Description:
    A request from source IP address  on trunk portal; Secure=1 for application Outlook Web Access of type ExchangePub2010 failed. The URL /OWA/14.1.255.0/ClientBin/OwaSl.xap contains an illegal path. The rule applied is Default rule. The method is GET.

The reason this event is still being logged is because both the KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2444842) as well as the update that fixes this in UAG both contain the same error with regards to ExchangePub2010_Rule42.  Both modify the URL set with a new ExchangePub2010_Rule42 that includes the following URL:

/owa(/[a-z0-9._-]+@[a-z0-9.-]+)?/[0-9.]+/clientbin/owasi.xap

This is incorrect!  When you look at the file in mixed case it looks like this might be the file name; however, the actual file on the CAS server is OWASL.xap, not OWASI.xap.  To resolve this error you should change this rule in the UAG rule set to use the following URL:

/owa(/[a-z0-9._-]+@[a-z0-9.-]+)?/[0-9.]+/clientbin/owasl.xap

I would recommend that Microsoft fix this in a future update to UAG.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:33 PM
  • Hello again

Computer:     
    Description:

The reason this event is still being logged is because both the KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2444842) as well as the update that fixes this in UAG both contain the same error with regards to ExchangePub2010_Rule42.  Both modify the URL set with a new ExchangePub2010_Rule42 that includes the following URL:

/owa(/[a-z0-9._-]+@[a-z0-9.-]+)?/[0-9.]+/clientbin/owasi.xap

This is incorrect!  When you look at the file in mixed case it looks like this might be the file name; however, the actual file on the CAS server is OWASL.xap, not OWASI.xap.  To resolve this error you should change this rule in the UAG rule set to use the following URL:

/owa(/[a-z0-9._-]+@[a-z0-9.-]+)?/[0-9.]+/clientbin/owasl.xap

I would recommend that Microsoft fix this in a future update to UAG.

Hi Christopher,

thank you for this solution. We were experiencing the exact same problem. Our last update is UAG SP1 incl. update 1 and 2 and still this little typo did not got fixed....

Regards,

Dennis

http://www.mrfreeze.nl
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 8:32 AM