none
Is This Email Really Microsoft? "[Microsoft Spam Fighters] Help us stop junk e-mail!‏" RRS feed

• Question

• Today I received an email that I wonder if it is really from Microsoft.

It appears real.  However, I notice the email address listed is "SpamFightersProgram@hotmail.com"

Why does Microsoft use a Hotmail account?

If anyone can confirm this email is really from Microsoft, I would appreciate it.

SUBJECT: 

[Microsoft Spam Fighters] Help us stop junk e-mail!‏

From:  Microsoft Spam Fighters (SpamFightersProgram@hotmail.com)
    Sent: Mon 8/15/16 11:28 AM
    To:
    This message is safe. It's from the Spam Fighters program, which actually helps eliminate junk email.
    Microsoft Spam Fighters
    We hate junk e-mail as much as you do!
    Helping is easy–every once in a while we'll simply re-send one of your email messages and ask you if it's junk or not. One click and you're done.
    This helps us fine-tune our junk email filters to better protect you and everyone else. The messages we send you are real messages that were addressed to you. We'll only send you one message a day at most, and you can quit at any time.
    By clicking the button above, you agree that Microsoft can ask you about your email messages and use your responses to help stop junk email.
    To stop receiving messages about this program, click here.
    Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our online Privacy Statement.
    Microsoft Corporation | One Microsoft Way. Redmond, WA 98052

Monday, August 15, 2016 9:34 PM

All replies

• No way that can be Microsoft. I would never click the button. I would delete the email.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Monday, August 15, 2016 9:40 PM
  • It's real, it has to be from a hotmail account because your using a hotmail account, I clicked the link when I got this email and every once in a while when I get an email from somewhere, I'll get another email about 5-10 mins later from them asking if the enclosed copy of the previous email is spam or not, when you click on spam or not, it loads to a website, says thanks for your input(it's a Microsoft website) and then the email deletes itself, only Microsoft can do that. And if it was spam, the original email gets put in your junk folder as well as any other same future spam emails, it's actually been helping out for one of my emails, now I'm looking to add my other hotmail emails to this to help clean out its spam
    Friday, October 28, 2016 1:22 AM
  • Correction. It is not real. Delete never works. The spam and junk continue to pour in and Spam Fighters does nothing. Hasn't worked in a year. 

Sunday, February 19, 2017 12:23 PM
  • You are absolutely correct. In a year Spam Fighters has not removed a single piece of spam. Your advice is perfect. Just delete the email.
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 12:25 PM
  • If it is a Microsoft why does it not work. "One click" does nothing. Best advice is in the following comment: Just delete the emails.
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 12:27 PM