none
How to setup FPE content filter to make Outlook blocked senders lists to work correctly?

Question

• Hi,

I have Exchange 2010 EDGE server with The Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server (FPE). All messages coming through FPE content filter receive SCL:-1 and that means Outlook Blocked Senders Lists are not applied on them.

I found this in FPE documentation:
    Configuring content filtering
    FPE does not assign SCL ratings between SCL: 1 to SCL: 4. Messages that fall into this category are assigned SCL ratings of SCL:-1 or SCL: 0.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd639396.aspx

But I see only SCL:-1, not a single SCL:0 mail. That does not make sense to me. I don't understand why to shoot yourself in the foot and provide only 2 values (-1; 0) instead of 6 values [-1;0;1;2;3;4]? 

How are the Outlook blocked senders list supposed to work if all emails receive -1 and not 0? How can users block senders from unwanted newsletters, too chatty senders or other sources that are not general mass spam but just something they don't want to have in their inbox?

Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:20 AM

Answers

• I found it

[PS] > New-FseExtendedOption –Name CFAllowBlockedSenders –Value true

[PS] > Get-FseExtendedOption –Name CFAllowBlockedSenders

Name                                                        Value

----                                                        -----

CFAllowBlockedSenders                                       true

after services restart messages receive SCL: 0 instead of -1 and blocking senders in Outlook starts to work. I suggest this should be documented in official Technet documentation.

Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:31 AM

All replies