none
Migrating data from Windows Server 2008 to 2016.

Question

• There is following link https://dilshansaminda.wordpress.com/2012/01/06/migrate-user-home-folders-to-a-new-file-server-with-all-security-permissions-and-bulk-changes-for-home-folder-paths/

First item is Backup Registry Share files and merges in to new server.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Shares from server1 and the importing of that resultant .reg file into server2.

However, the shares from server 1 include paths that are unique to server 1. There are paths like NETLOGON, Print$, SYSVOL, (Default) Server 2 would have the same paths. Seems I should keep Server 2 paths. Do I merge server 1 to server 2 then delete the duplicate paths?

On the robocopy. Server 1 Drive H: that has the data I want also has folders I assume should stay on server 1. Ex Recycle, System Volume Information. Do I copy the whole drive robocopy //source server/H: //destination server/H: then delete Recycle and System Volume Information or do I copy just the folders I need. Robocopy //source server/$H/folder //destination server/$H/folder as many times

This article mentions as a third step Admodify.net exe. This program does not seem to be available. Is there some other third step to be taken?  

lundi 25 juin 2018 15:31

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

Have a nice day! Thanks for your question.

This KB125996 backup and restore Registry Share files is recommended to process in the same version OS. Due to the migration is from 2008 to 2016, moreover, the shares from server 1 include paths NETLOGON, Print$, SYSVOL like a DC. On server 2, these paths may not be contained. Actually, we needn’t merge the paths if migrating the registry. The registry path would be replaced in server 2.

So, above operation is not recommended in this situation. Based on my experienced, it is recommended to re-configure the share permission to the share files in the new server.

Furthermore, we’ll suggest to migrate NTFS permission using Robocopy.

Regarding ADmodify.net, it is a third party tool, and not supported official. Surely, we could try it, here’s the link for your reference.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2004/08/04/admodify-net-is-here/

Hope above information can help you.  

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question and concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

mardi 26 juin 2018 07:45
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

jeudi 28 juin 2018 11:59
  • 1. How does one recommend reconfiguriing the share permission to the new share files in the new server? 2. Robocopy (and Xcopy) was not copying all the files and robocopy was getting denied access. 3. If ADmodify.net is not supported then do you have an alternate method: The link given has a date of 2004
    jeudi 28 juin 2018 12:57