Hyper-V TAPE device VM device manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have recently virtualised my SQL Server 2005 and it works fine.

On my physical machine is attached an internal TAPE device for Backups
    (internal HP Ultrium 448 Tape device connected to the motherboard using a SAS Cable to the host SAS controller card)

It's recognised on the physical machine's device management console.

Now I have a Hyper-V role enabled Win 2K8 Server on witch I've a Win 2K8 server VM running SQL server 2005.
    -> In  the VM's devmgmt.msc i noticed that no Tape device was listed !!

Can I emulate that device ?
    Is there some iSCSI initiators ?

I'm searching different solutions in parralel such as powershell scripting or host (parent partition) based Tape Backup tool
    but the best solution if it exists on my case would be to directly access the TAPE from the VM so that I could lunch the backups
    from the SQL mgmt console....

Thanks.
    • Déplacé Thierry DEMAN-BARCELÒMVP dimanche 11 octobre 2009 21:25 (Origine :Café des usages)
    • Déplacé ashawani_dubey jeudi 4 février 2010 05:43 Forums Consolidation (Origine :Virtual Server)
    mardi 6 octobre 2009 21:50

Réponses

• Hello,

you are on a French forum!!! But we will try to answer you.

It should be possible to have some specific hardware usable in Virtual Machine in the future HyperV (in Windows 2008 R2), but I have not seen that at this moment.

So, no iSCSI will not help you to access the Tape device.
    You will have to dump SQL databases on files, and then save them from the parent partition.

Bye.

Thierry DEMAN. MCSE+MSI, MCDBA, MCITP SQL2K5,SQL2K8,EXCH2K7,W2K8 ADM&ENT, MCTS OCS2007. Exchange MVP (http://www.faqexchange.info) LE PERMIS INFORMATIQUE.
    dimanche 11 octobre 2009 21:24

Toutes les réponses

• Hello,

you are on a French forum!!! But we will try to answer you.

It should be possible to have some specific hardware usable in Virtual Machine in the future HyperV (in Windows 2008 R2), but I have not seen that at this moment.

So, no iSCSI will not help you to access the Tape device.
    You will have to dump SQL databases on files, and then save them from the parent partition.

Bye.

Thierry DEMAN. MCSE+MSI, MCDBA, MCITP SQL2K5,SQL2K8,EXCH2K7,W2K8 ADM&ENT, MCTS OCS2007. Exchange MVP (http://www.faqexchange.info) LE PERMIS INFORMATIQUE.
    dimanche 11 octobre 2009 21:24

• So, no iSCSI will not help you to access the Tape device.

Bye.

Bonjour Thierry DEMAN-BARCELÒ,
    en effet, c'est exactement ce que j'ai fait quant j'ai réalisé que les VM's sous Hyper-V do not recognize Tape Devices...
    Plus de détails Ici :
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverpowershell/thread/b5be5c71-247f-4af3-945b-7bbb482a36aa

Merci.
    mercredi 14 octobre 2009 08:58