none
SQL Server and domain controller. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I can find articles where it's said it's not recommended installing SQL Server on a domain controller, mainly for security and/or performance purposes.

My company need to deploy it on a new domain (with very few servers and accounts on it).

So the security and performance won't be an issue.

The question is: will this be supported.

Thanks.

• Déplacé sudarshans1 mercredi 3 février 2010 20:53 Forums Consolidation (Origine :SQL Server - Installation)
    lundi 17 décembre 2007 11:51

Réponses

• Hi there,

it is supported even if not recommended.

just keep in mind the best practice regarding separate partitions/disks for DB and Transactional Logs, and such things.

even if you dont have that much traffic either in your AD nor in yous SQL tables, you should try to have them on separate disks so performance issues won't show if traffic becommes more consequent.

a good start would be to imitate SBS 2003 structures.

an even better one would be (if it suits your needs) to adopt SBS 2003 R2 Platinium...comes with all the bells and whistles you can expect from a single box solution! (my definitive favorite server edition for small structures, keeps things organized, small sized and efficient!)

best regards,

Pierre.

lundi 17 décembre 2007 19:43
  •  

SQL server is not supported on cluster noeuds when they are Domain controlers.
    mercredi 13 février 2008 22:41

Toutes les réponses

• Hi there,

it is supported even if not recommended.

just keep in mind the best practice regarding separate partitions/disks for DB and Transactional Logs, and such things.

even if you dont have that much traffic either in your AD nor in yous SQL tables, you should try to have them on separate disks so performance issues won't show if traffic becommes more consequent.

a good start would be to imitate SBS 2003 structures.

an even better one would be (if it suits your needs) to adopt SBS 2003 R2 Platinium...comes with all the bells and whistles you can expect from a single box solution! (my definitive favorite server edition for small structures, keeps things organized, small sized and efficient!)

best regards,

Pierre.

lundi 17 décembre 2007 19:43
  • Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

So i guess it's also supported if the SQL Server is part of a cluster... case where disks are separated because they're located on a SAN.

Kind regards,

Cédric.

lundi 17 décembre 2007 20:32
  • hi again,

i guess it's far beyond my scope of expertice, but a quick call to microsoft should have up out and running fast!

it's far better to give them a call and ask if there are any support issue while explaining your planned configuration and actual needs... they sure can tell if any of your configurations plan is out of their support scope. at least better than any of us here, i guess...

then again some pretty skiled up guys (and gals) run accross those forums so you can bet that if i'm out of line they'll give you a post Smile

Best regards,

Pierre.

lundi 17 décembre 2007 21:28
  •  

SQL server is not supported on cluster noeuds when they are Domain controlers.
    mercredi 13 février 2008 22:41