none
VIEW ONLY permission setup for Sharepoint 2016

Question

• Hello,

Do you know where to find 'View Only' permission in sharepoint 2016 ?

Do you know how to enable the 'VIEW ONLY' option ? Many thanks !

Please take a look at the attached three pictures. I would like to grant end user to view document in the sites by web browser only, they are not allowed to download it.

Many thanks ! Ideas/Link/Suggestion are welcome.

I saw the below link, there is an option for VIEW ONLY, but do not know how to enable it ~~Many thanks.

https://lightningtools.com/permissions/sharepoint-2016-permissions-guide/

Create group

Group permission - No view only

ShowOption

• Modifié viabug mardi 15 mai 2018 10:50 Resize pictures
    mardi 15 mai 2018 10:45

Toutes les réponses

• You can create your own permission level and assign it to a SharePoint Group. Have you done that?

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

mardi 15 mai 2018 15:04
    Modérateur
  • Thanks Trevor Seward.

May I ask where to create my own permission level ? Thanks.

Regards,
    Via

mercredi 16 mai 2018 01:27
  • Go to Site Settings -> Site Permissions. Click on Permission Levels in the ribbon. From here you can create a new level or copy an existing level (and modify it as required). You can then assign your new permission level to a user and/or SharePoint Group.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

mercredi 16 mai 2018 01:57
    Modérateur
  • Hi viabug, 

I have done a  test in my SharePoint 2016, the "View Only" permission level is here, maybe someone delete the "View Only" permission level.

What is the template of your site?

For this issue, actviate "SharePoint server Enterprise Site collection features" and "SharePoint server Enterprise Site features" and compare the results. 

please create a new site collection in the SharePoint 2016 environment, then check whether "Vew Only" permission level is existing.

As a workaround, I suggest create a custom permission level which has same permission with "View Only".

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

mercredi 16 mai 2018 03:33
    Modérateur
  • Dear Lisa,

Thank you very much .

I am using sharepoint 2016 Standard client access license and cannot enable enterprise feature because absent of Enterprise license.

Therefore, I cannot activate "SharePoint server Enterprise Site collection features" and "SharePoint server Enterprise Site features" and compare the results.

You also suggested me to create a custom permission level which has same permission with "View Only" without download access right.

My files can be downloaded from end user. Could you suggest ways to select which option of below picture  so that end user cannot download the file ?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Via

Add permission Level Upper

Add permission level lower

• Modifié viabug mercredi 16 mai 2018 07:37
    mercredi 16 mai 2018 07:35
  • I have tried many combination between LIST PERMISSION and SITE PERMISSION in above post with screen capture, but file can be viewed in website and can be downloaded.

PDF file can be downloaded if it can be viewed in web browser.

Dear Lisa,

Could you capture your VIEW ONLY permission for me ?

Do you have any ideas for file  in website can be viewed only but not downloaded.

Regards,
    Via

Thanks in advance.

• Modifié viabug jeudi 17 mai 2018 01:41
    mercredi 16 mai 2018 09:15
  • Hi viabug, 

View only permission like the following:

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

jeudi 17 mai 2018 10:37
    Modérateur
  • Hi viabug,

Follow below article, create a new permission level by copying View Only permissions template and then apply!

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-to-create-and-edit-permission-levels-53c86040-07fa-4ea7-bc55-34ee96b437fe

Hope it helps!

-Ashok Yadala

Best Regards, A-Yadala Please remember to click "Mark As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

jeudi 17 mai 2018 10:53
  • Hi viabug, 

Is there anything update?

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

il y a 58 minute(s)
    Modérateur