none
SharePoint 2013 September 2017 CU failed with workflow error

Question

• Hi

I tried to upgrade my SharePoint 2013 farm to September 2017 Cumulative Update (CU) and got this error at step 9 of Configuration wizard.

this is the only error in the upgrade error log:

Error UpgradeWorkflowServiceActivities.  Run Copy-SPLocalActivitiesToWorkflowService manually to complete this action.  Error: Microsoft.Workflow.Client.WorkflowEndpointNotFoundException: Unable to connect to the remote service at http://servername:12291/SharePoint/. See InnerException for more details. Client ActivityId : a082b4e0-8060-4dad-bd91-f4aeb0344552. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 11.11.7.212:12291

I have search and followed some advices to re-register WFM and run PS suggested in the error but configuration wizard still failed with the same error.

My last resort look like is to remove WFM completely then run CU and then re-install WFM but I think there must be a reason and a better way to fix this.

If anyone have experience this error in your CU update and found the solution to fix this, please share.

Thanks in advance for your advises and comments

Swanl

• Modifié swanl98 vendredi 13 juillet 2018 20:20 change mage
    vendredi 13 juillet 2018 20:07

Réponses

• Hi,

Try running the following PowerShell cmdlets to keep workflow up to date in SharePoint Server, then check if it works.

$credential = [System.Net.CredentialCache]::DefaultNetworkCredentials

$site = Get-SPSite(<siteUri>)

$proxy = Get-SPWorkflowServiceApplicationProxy

$svcAddress = $proxy.GetWorkflowServiceAddress($site)

Copy-SPActivitiesToWorkflowService -WorkflowServiceAddress $svcAddress -Credential $credential -Force $true

Read Update Workflow in SharePoint Server for more information.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

mardi 17 juillet 2018 08:06
    Modérateur

Toutes les réponses

• Looks like SharePoint cannot connect to WFM. Is the SSL cert valid? Is WFM running (Get-WFFarmStatus/Get-SBFarmStatus)?

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

vendredi 13 juillet 2018 20:27
    Modérateur
  • Hi

I ran the those cmdlets and all return good and running.  SSL certificate are valid and not expired.

I re-registered and check again and still show WFM running and connected.

Thanks

Swanl

vendredi 13 juillet 2018 20:51
  • Hi Trevor

I also tested my workflows and they are working fine.  so I have to say  WFM are functioning OK..

Thanks

Swanl

vendredi 13 juillet 2018 21:16
  • Hi,

Try running the following PowerShell cmdlets to keep workflow up to date in SharePoint Server, then check if it works.

$credential = [System.Net.CredentialCache]::DefaultNetworkCredentials

$site = Get-SPSite(<siteUri>)

$proxy = Get-SPWorkflowServiceApplicationProxy

$svcAddress = $proxy.GetWorkflowServiceAddress($site)

Copy-SPActivitiesToWorkflowService -WorkflowServiceAddress $svcAddress -Credential $credential -Force $true

Read Update Workflow in SharePoint Server for more information.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

mardi 17 juillet 2018 08:06
    Modérateur
  • Hi

Yes, as mentioned I have tried that a couple of time and re-run Configuration wizard but still fail to complete.

Another source that I found suggested that when configuration wizard failed with an exception, do the following and this is what I did and get it to run.  I still don't know why this resolve my issue but this is what I did and the CU installed successfully now.

stop Timer job service

Clear Configuration cache

start Timer job service

wait till the cache files filled up

disabled Timer job service

Run Configuration wizard again and this time it finished successfully. 

Thanks you for your recommendation

Swanl

mardi 17 juillet 2018 15:16
  • Hi

Thanks for your suggestion.

I got this CU installed successfully now.

Swanl

mardi 17 juillet 2018 15:18