none
Maintenance Windows - Best Practices

Question

• One of the features of SCCM I've looked forward to the most are Maintenance Windows. The Best Practice Recommendations (in the Help File) suggests that:

"....you should create specific collections for this purpose rather than use the default collections"

If I want to implement Maintenance Windows accross the board, do I need to configure every collection that I create? Will the client get their Maintenance Windows settings as a result of an advertisement on a collection they're in? Or will they get the settings simply by being in a configured collection?

Finally, if I create an advertisement / deployment with, say a 2-week deadline, should I avoid Maintenance Windows for this scenario? The deadline won't override any Maintenance Windows will it?

vendredi 18 janvier 2008 16:00

Réponses

• As a best practice, we do recommend that you create new collections to manage maintenance windows, but use your normal collections for targeting of advertisements.

Clients will use the maintenance windows of ALL collections that they are membes of, not just the one the deployment is targeted to. So it is a union of them all.

Deadlines do not override maintenance windows. Once we hit the dealine, we'll try to deploy - if a maintenance window allows us to. If not then we have to wait for the next window.

In fact, nothing overrides maintenance window configuration, other than if the deployment is configured to ignore them :-) Not quite sure about what you are asking about avoiding maintenance windows for a 2 week deadline deployment. If you mean to ignore them, that certainly depends on your environment, but I don't think so. If you have windows defined, you want them adhered to, except in those zero-day/critical deployment scenarios. And then you can set the deployment to ignore maintenance windows.

vendredi 18 janvier 2008 16:53
  • Yes, clients see maintenance windows for any collection they are members of. This is something that not everyone understands, and you obviously need to, or you'll get deployments occuring, or not occurring, when you expected. There is the one report "Maintenance Windows Available to a Particular Client" you can run to see what windows are available to the client.

If you want users to have the ability to deploy updates/advertised software prior to the deadline, then stick with the windows, don't ignore them, and allow end user interaction.

vendredi 18 janvier 2008 17:24
  • I can't tell you what to do. However, trying to answer your previous post, I said you could do that. But if you tell the advert/deployment to ignore maintenance windows, then you are not adhering to them at all, and you may get deployments outside the time frame you intended.

If you want to deploy to users, and let them deploy independently, then you don't need maintenance windows at all. But if you want maintenance windows so that assignments are deployed at the deadline, but according to windows, then you have windows defined.

If an assignment is configured to allow end user to run independently of the assignment, then IF a user does that, it ignores maintenance windows. Windows are only adhered to by scheduled tasks, not optional ones that are user driven. So don't configure the assignment to ignore windows, as then it might deploy automatically at the deadline, at a time you didn't want on some servers.

Leave windows inplace, but if users run the advertisement or patch deployment on their own, we don't adhere to windows.

I'd probably look at two templates - one for users and one for servers. The user template would not suppress so the users could deploy manually (clicking the icon). The server template would suppress notifications, and just wait for the deadline, and the appropriate window.

Does that make sense?

vendredi 18 janvier 2008 17:48

Toutes les réponses

• As a best practice, we do recommend that you create new collections to manage maintenance windows, but use your normal collections for targeting of advertisements.

Clients will use the maintenance windows of ALL collections that they are membes of, not just the one the deployment is targeted to. So it is a union of them all.

Deadlines do not override maintenance windows. Once we hit the dealine, we'll try to deploy - if a maintenance window allows us to. If not then we have to wait for the next window.

In fact, nothing overrides maintenance window configuration, other than if the deployment is configured to ignore them :-) Not quite sure about what you are asking about avoiding maintenance windows for a 2 week deadline deployment. If you mean to ignore them, that certainly depends on your environment, but I don't think so. If you have windows defined, you want them adhered to, except in those zero-day/critical deployment scenarios. And then you can set the deployment to ignore maintenance windows.

vendredi 18 janvier 2008 16:53
  • OK, I think I understand. I could put my systems in a collection (without any advertisments associated with it) and the clients will see any Maintenence Windows that are configured for that collection.

I noticed in a nice posting on MyItforum ( http://www.myitforum.com/myITWiki/SCCMSU_DeplOpt_Schedule.ashx ) you can specify in the Schedule dialog to "Ignore maintenance windows and install immediately at deadline".

This looks like it would force any adverts to install, period, once the deadline date is reached. I personally think it would be better to deploy the updates and give users the option to install as soon as possible, at any time.

vendredi 18 janvier 2008 17:09
  • Yes, clients see maintenance windows for any collection they are members of. This is something that not everyone understands, and you obviously need to, or you'll get deployments occuring, or not occurring, when you expected. There is the one report "Maintenance Windows Available to a Particular Client" you can run to see what windows are available to the client.

If you want users to have the ability to deploy updates/advertised software prior to the deadline, then stick with the windows, don't ignore them, and allow end user interaction.

vendredi 18 janvier 2008 17:24
  • So you're saying I should stay with my windows but also give users the abililty to deploy updates? In other words, create adverts, as needed, and explicitly configure them to ignore the windows so users can interact with them?

vendredi 18 janvier 2008 17:31
  • I can't tell you what to do. However, trying to answer your previous post, I said you could do that. But if you tell the advert/deployment to ignore maintenance windows, then you are not adhering to them at all, and you may get deployments outside the time frame you intended.

If you want to deploy to users, and let them deploy independently, then you don't need maintenance windows at all. But if you want maintenance windows so that assignments are deployed at the deadline, but according to windows, then you have windows defined.

If an assignment is configured to allow end user to run independently of the assignment, then IF a user does that, it ignores maintenance windows. Windows are only adhered to by scheduled tasks, not optional ones that are user driven. So don't configure the assignment to ignore windows, as then it might deploy automatically at the deadline, at a time you didn't want on some servers.

Leave windows inplace, but if users run the advertisement or patch deployment on their own, we don't adhere to windows.

I'd probably look at two templates - one for users and one for servers. The user template would not suppress so the users could deploy manually (clicking the icon). The server template would suppress notifications, and just wait for the deadline, and the appropriate window.

Does that make sense?

vendredi 18 janvier 2008 17:48
  • Yes it does. Thanks for helping me think this out.

What I'm trying to do is take advantage of Maintenance Windows for non-critical updates like drivers and optionall installs but at the same time make sure that critical updates get installed regardless of any Maintenance Windows that apply to the client. From what I can tell, I can do this easily. SCCM pretty much seems to give us the latitude to do whatever we want. Thanks for building this in!

vendredi 18 janvier 2008 18:04
  • Will this apply if a collection is a member of another collection? Or only if the client is a member of two collections?

Exemple: If a client is a member of the collection CollectionA and that CollectionA is member of the collection MaintenanceWindow. Will the maintenance window of the collection MaintenanceWindow apply to the clients of the collection CollectionA?

Thanks.

• Modifié .Alex mardi 27 mai 2014 19:42 I mispelled a word.
    mardi 27 mai 2014 19:41