none
WebSite not created in IIS during creation of SP WebApplication

Question

• When creating new web application from CA with new AppPool on 5 servers (2 frontend, 2 search servers and 1 application server), on application server IIS Website is missing and AppPool has info that it consists of 0 applications.

Final result is 5 new AppPools on 5 servers in farm, and only 4 websites on 4 servers...

In a location C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\NewWebApplication80 on application server content is missing, other 4 servers has regular SP structure of files and folders.

Should I create WebSite on this server manualy? Should I expect more problems because of that action?

Thanks a lot

lundi 9 juillet 2018 10:04

Réponses

• Never create things manually. It won't work.

Is the Foundation Web service started on your App server?

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marqué comme réponse Vojin Vukovic jeudi 12 juillet 2018 09:59
    lundi 9 juillet 2018 14:49
    Modérateur
  • Hi Vojin,

I am glad that your issue is solved. Please remember to mark the replies which help you as answers.

About the new question, it should be based on your requirement. If you enable "SharePoint Foundation web application service" on a server, the server will be a WFE, so how many servers the service should be started is based on how many WFEs you want to have.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marqué comme réponse Vojin Vukovic jeudi 12 juillet 2018 09:54
    jeudi 12 juillet 2018 08:09
    Modérateur

Toutes les réponses

• Never create things manually. It won't work.

Is the Foundation Web service started on your App server?

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marqué comme réponse Vojin Vukovic jeudi 12 juillet 2018 09:59
    lundi 9 juillet 2018 14:49
    Modérateur
  • Hi Vojin,

The Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application service makes your SharePoint server behave as Web Front End Server. That is the server that is going to host your web applications in its IIS.

Please make sure this is not started on your Application Servers. If running on application servers, it will make them behave as Front End Server, and when you create web applications, they will get hosted on the Application Server as well.

More information, you can refer to:

https://redcrust.wordpress.com/2014/12/23/microsoft-sharepoint-foundation-web-application/

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

mardi 10 juillet 2018 07:02
    Modérateur
  • Dear Wendy, dear Trevor,

thank you for your answers, I think this is a problem...

Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application service IS STARTED on APPLICATION SERVER. I will try to remove web application and create it again, then I will let you know about results.

mardi 10 juillet 2018 07:34
  • Hi Vojin,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue.

Thanks,

Wendy

jeudi 12 juillet 2018 07:28
    Modérateur
  • I stopped/unprovision this service app server and one search server, so now this service is active on 2 frontend and one search server.

I saw some posts that this service can be started/stopped regarding of hardware resources. I still wonder why initial Farm settings were like this (5 servers has this service turned on). Developers (external company) do not give me information if there can be issues if these service is stopped on 3 servers.

I still do not know if developers made some source code (hardcoding) that can cause issues on SP farm, if this service is not active on App server. If this service can be safely turned on and off without problem, then I will leave it on 2 servers only.

So new question is how to determine/decide on how many servers should this service be started? (Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application service)

Web application is working OK.

Thanks again

jeudi 12 juillet 2018 07:53
  • Hi Vojin,

I am glad that your issue is solved. Please remember to mark the replies which help you as answers.

About the new question, it should be based on your requirement. If you enable "SharePoint Foundation web application service" on a server, the server will be a WFE, so how many servers the service should be started is based on how many WFEs you want to have.

Thanks,

Wendy

• Marqué comme réponse Vojin Vukovic jeudi 12 juillet 2018 09:54
    jeudi 12 juillet 2018 08:09
    Modérateur
  • For test environment I used your (Trevor's) instructions on page -

https://sharepointumar.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/restart-microsoft-sharepoint-foundation-web-application-service-stuck-at-stopping/comment-page-1/#comment-146 

It was usefull as workaround to surpress Provisioning and Unprovisioning status.

Thank you.

jeudi 12 juillet 2018 09:56