none
DA in Windows Server 2019

Question

• I´m curious, will the DA still be present and supported in 2019 version? At autumn Ignite 2017 I heard first time the DA is no longer being developed, but in 2016 it is still fully supported.

Please remember to mark my post as an answer, if I really helped you out, or vote if usefull. Thank you!

vendredi 6 avril 2018 06:52

Réponses

Toutes les réponses

• Hard to say.

DirectAccess is currently available in the 2019 Tech Preview but no more info is available.
    Imo, the feature may stay as part of the Remote Access role but I doubt it will receive improvements.

Gérald

lundi 9 avril 2018 17:08
  • Yes its there in the 2019 Preview version and no mention to remove it which means it will have another 5 years main stream.

I think no plans for major enhancements but its fully supported, working and covering areas not covered with other solutions

mardi 4 septembre 2018 09:02
    Modérateur
  • Hey Yannara, you already know my views but I'll just add them for anyone else visiting this post :)

I mostly reflect the same as Gerald and Ahmed (hey Ahmed!). Yes, DirectAccess is still in the latest Server 2019 preview, and at this point it would be incredibly surprising to find that it was removed for RTM. Out in the wild at this moment in time I find that most Microsoft remote access rollouts continue to be DirectAccess-centric. Improvements are being made to Always On VPN, and I am excited to get to work with it more and more as it progresses, but as of right now DirectAccess is still available, still supported, still stable and secure. It continues to be actively rolled out by many companies.

mardi 4 septembre 2018 12:21
  • Agreed. If you need fast & secure remote solution project, and your infrastucture is DA compatible (applications, home users) maybe DA would still be valid selection. If you dont have the budget to renew everything in next 2-3 years or if you think about the future, go with VPN ALO. That's my opinion.

I would also be supprised if 2019 RTM would be shipped without DA role :D

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10 and MBAM.

• Modifié yannara mardi 4 septembre 2018 12:28
    mardi 4 septembre 2018 12:27
  • To add to that, I am working with a number of people who plan to run DirectAccess and AOVPN side-by-side. They can both run on the same remote access server, and they can definitely be a "better together" story.

Many folks are rolling out DirectAccess today for their everyday production connectivity, but we are making sure that we setup that DA server in a way that VPN can be easily enabled on it down the road. As long as DA is setup properly, then the DA server will be ready to accept both DA and VPN connections. Some are even enabling VPN right away, even if they don't plan to use it right away. Then once their clients are in a position to test Always On VPN, the server-side is already sitting ready to go, and all they have to do is roll out the client-side settings in order to start testing it in parallel to their production DirectAccess that is still up and happily running.

mardi 4 septembre 2018 12:43
  • To add to that, I am working with a number of people who plan to run DirectAccess and AOVPN side-by-side. They can both run on the same remote access server, and they can definitely be a "better together" story.

Yea, I was thinking about this too, but sense the DA troubleshoting is complex in some cases, I would avoid to add any addional components on the server. I think it would add additional risk to the functionaly. By default, when DA is enabled, VPN role is installed but it is disabled.

I probably do some test scenario for this at some point...

mardi 4 septembre 2018 13:22
  • Not sure, is this a joke, but these screenshots are so much alike from 2016.

https://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2018/05/how-to-install-vpn-on-windows-server-2019/

In fact, 2019 has different server manager.

Anyone else has any news yet?

lundi 1 octobre 2018 10:59
  • DA is present in 2019 AS-IS, no change.

• Marqué comme réponse yannara jeudi 4 octobre 2018 09:51
    jeudi 4 octobre 2018 09:51