none
Error while installing kb4011696 at Product Configuration Wizard

Question

• Goodmorning all,

I have three SP2013 environments, and succesfully installed kb4011696 and ran the Product Config Wizard on the test environment. The following week it was time to patch the pre-production farm and had a lot of issues while patching. The following happened:

• I installed the patch
    • After restarting the 2 servers i started the Product config Wizard and it ran into all kinds of trouble at step 9 out of 10.
    • The errors i get are the following

Task upgrade has failed with a PostSetupConfigurationTaskException An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown.

I can find the following in the log:

SyncUpgradeTimerJob: SPTIMERV4 is not running anymore. Return -1.

The exclusive inplace upgrader timer job failed.

I tried all kinds of workarounds for a week or so:

• Clearing the cache
    • Running PSconfig (as administrator) with the comman, also running it from the "Bin" folder
    PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures
    • Checking if the account had all the right dbowner permissions, which it did.
    • Manually starting SP services while the psconfig was running:

I run once again the command „PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures“  in the “Bin” Folder as an administrator console session.

In the moment I saw the staus “Configurationtask 5 of 6 is executed” I start to run the command “net start SPTraceV4 & net start SPWriterV4 & net start SPAdminV4 & net start SPSearch4 & net start SPTimerV4” in a parallel administrator console session and after that the configuration task finished successfully.

• I restarted the farm a few times during that week also.

Then a week later i was starting to open a topic here, ran the config again to get the most recent errors for the topic and.... it ran perfectly and i was up and running.

I used this command: PSCONFIG.EXE -cmd helpcollections -installall -cmd secureresources -cmd services -install -cmd installfeatures -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -wait

Now the production farm is eagerly waiting to be patched, however i am not comfortable to patch it until i know what the problem was :-) Anybody got any idea?!

mardi 17 avril 2018 06:45

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

Please make sure that you have installed sp1.

Could you provide the error message in configuration log here? The path is: C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_xxx.txt.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

mercredi 18 avril 2018 07:18
    Modérateur
  • you should run configuration wizard before restarting servers.. so please install the CU again and run the configuration wizard without restarting the server...

Karim... Please remember to mark your question as answered, if this solves your problem.

mercredi 18 avril 2018 07:24
  • Hi there,

Thnx for the reply, i have SP1 already installed.

@Karim: when the update has finished it shows a message to restart to finish the update, so i have to ignore that, and run the config wizard next time before restarting?

Here are the errors i get in the PSCDiagnostics:

03/23/2018 15:13:16  20  ERR                                The exclusive inplace upgrader timer job failed.

03/23/2018 15:13:16  20  ERR                                Task upgrade has failed with a PostSetupConfigurationTaskException An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown.  Additional exception information:

03/23/2018 15:13:16  20  ERR                                An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown.  Additional exception information:

Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException' was thrown.

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.UpgradeTask.Run()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

03/23/2018 15:13:16  20  ERR                                  Task upgrade has failed

03/23/2018 15:13:16  20  INF                                  friendlyMessage for task upgrade is An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown.  Additional exception information:

03/23/2018 15:13:16  20  INF                                  debugMessage for task upgrade is An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown.  Additional exception information:

Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException' was thrown.

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.UpgradeTask.Run()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.TaskThread.ExecuteTask()

03/23/2018 15:13:16  1  ERR                                        Task upgrade has stopped and failed.  Total failed is now 1

03/23/2018 15:13:16  10  ERR                              Task upgrade SharePoint Products failed, so stopping execution of the engine

03/23/2018 15:13:16  10  ERR                              Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products.

03/23/2018 15:13:16  10  INF                              Entering function StringResourceManager.GetResourceString

03/23/2018 15:13:16  10  ERR                              Configuration of SharePoint Products failed.  Configuration must be performed in order for this product to operate properly.  To diagnose the problem, review the extended error information located at D:\Logs\SP Logs\PSCDiagnostics_3_23_2018_15_11_31_217_77258206.log, fix the problem, and run this configuration wizard again.

jeudi 19 avril 2018 06:09
  • Hi there,

Do you have any update for me? I provided the error message in the config file

thnx in advance :)

mardi 8 mai 2018 06:41
  • Hi,

Please make sure that you have installed sp1.

Could you provide the error message in configuration log here? The path is: C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS\PSCDiagnostics_xxx.txt.

Best Regards,

Dean Wang

Hi Dean,

I provided the errors a few weeks back, do you have any clue what went wrong at our Test environment?

Best regards,

Jorrit

mardi 15 mai 2018 07:17
  • karim is not correct. PSConfig should be run post-restart. However, your psconfig command is incomplete. See https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/stefan_gossner/2015/08/20/why-i-prefer-psconfigui-exe-over-psconfig-exe/.

You should also provide ULS logs of the failure. You've provided us with the setup log which won't provide enough details to help.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

mardi 15 mai 2018 15:14
    Modérateur
  • Hi there,

Thnx for the answer, which exact logs do you need from me and where can i place them?

best regards.

Jorrit

jeudi 17 mai 2018 13:07
  • ULS logs are located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS\ by default. There will be a series of logs with the servername and time. Run the Config Wizard and then check those logs at the failure time. You can correlate the PSCDiagnotic log for the failure time and correlate that to the ULS log.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

dimanche 20 mai 2018 17:48
    Modérateur