none
Having problems pasting Visio 2013 Drawings into Word 2013

Question

• Hello I am having issues pasting Visio 2013 drawings into Word 2013. For some reason when I select and copy the visio drawing into Word 2013, a portion of the drawing is cut-off and I cannot resize it to fit the entire drawing. I can double-click the drawing but it only gets me back into Visio. I just want the entire drawing to show up correctly when I paste into Word. Never had this problem with previous versions! Please help!!!
    vendredi 11 juillet 2014 17:33

Réponses

• Hi,

Could you please tell us how do you past Visio 2013 drawings into Word 2013?

Generally, we can select the entire drawing by pressing Ctrl + A, then copy the entire drawing.

Or we can insert Visio 2013 drawings into Word by Insert > Object > Create from File.

Note: Make sure tick the option of Link to file.

Feel free to post back.

Regards,

Greta Ge CHN
    TechNet Community Support

lundi 14 juillet 2014 03:24

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

Could you please tell us how do you past Visio 2013 drawings into Word 2013?

Generally, we can select the entire drawing by pressing Ctrl + A, then copy the entire drawing.

Or we can insert Visio 2013 drawings into Word by Insert > Object > Create from File.

Note: Make sure tick the option of Link to file.

Feel free to post back.

Regards,

Greta Ge CHN
    TechNet Community Support

lundi 14 juillet 2014 03:24
  • I think to recreate the issue the OP has is,

1. Do the process to insert the drawing as Mario suggested.
    2. Then edit the Visio document in Word.

Note that the canvas is always the same size. Any operations which go outside the canvas are clipped by Word.

The real question is, how can one resize the Visio canvas and subsequently resize the drawing in Word?

William Wegerson (www.OmegaCoder.Com)

vendredi 9 janvier 2015 16:46
  • I was running into the problem that after using the Word 2013 Insert, Object, From File, for my Visio 2013 diagram, word would show it clipped.

It turns out that I missed the 'Crop' option that appears above the mouse when right-clicking on the visio diagram. After finding that, I was easily able to update the cropping boundaries of the visio diagram.

Finally figured this out!!!

Hoping this post can help others that might not also see that almost hidden 'Crop' option.

• Proposé comme réponse urgetosplurge mercredi 1 juin 2016 14:55
    mercredi 10 juin 2015 19:24
  • This is stupid ridiculous!  By default it should show the whole diagram, then allow the user to crop if desired.
    jeudi 6 août 2015 20:01
  • Wow, thanks for pointing that out.

A few months back, I went from being able to copy and paste perfectly from Visio to Word to having this issue. Almost overnight. Did not realise it was auto-cropping.

I'd like to think the auto crop is something we're able to turn off, but it doesn't look like it.

Regards, Jason Dunbar

lundi 23 novembre 2015 11:45
  • How is this in any way the answer?

Regards, Jason Dunbar

lundi 23 novembre 2015 11:46
  • Thanks so much for your answer: it's precisely what I was looking for.  Been struggling with this hair-tearingly annoying issue all day - never spotted the 'Crop' option above the context menu until you pointed it out.
    mercredi 1 juin 2016 14:57
  • Thanks for this.   This approach does not work when copying an item from Visio to Powerpoint. Any ideas?
    mercredi 26 octobre 2016 22:02
  • Yes - I had this problem, nothing suggested so far solved it, but finally solved it today.  

I used CTRL-A in visio 2013, then CTRL-C. ALT-TAB to Powerpoint, Paste Special -> Enhanced Metafile. It was always cropped. In fact it cropped even if I pasted it as a metafile into Visio... so it's lost in the copy, not the paste. Almost as if it's not copying the same pixels that are displayed...

I was using a laptop, displaying out to a monitor over VGA, at a different resolution (1920x1200). I unplugged the laptop from the monitor, so it was displaying at native resolution on the laptop (in my case 1920 x 1080). I tried it again exactly as above, and it worked. Perfectly. No crop.

So if you are displaying to a different monitor, try unplugging it. I tried changing the monitor to the same resolution as the laptop, that did not work. I had to unplug the monitor and use the laptop screen. It worked for me, good luck.

p.s. yes this is terrible of visio etc. and just a work around, it does not excuse Visio 2013 from needing a bugfix!

• Proposé comme réponse Hemsey mardi 1 novembre 2016 10:35
    mardi 1 novembre 2016 10:33
  • This is the actual resolution to the issue.
    • Proposé comme réponse PGMeadows jeudi 1 décembre 2016 21:20
    jeudi 1 décembre 2016 21:20
  • I had the same problem (though pasting from Visio 2010 to Word 2013), and to my surprise unplugging the large screen monitor worked. This sounds like an utterly ridiculous bug! Of course I would like to be able to use my large screen when working on Visio. Has a fix been released yet?
    mardi 13 décembre 2016 13:53
  • Greta's reply is an explanation of possible ways to paste, but does not address the failure.  Hemsey is correct in that the issue lies with the display.  When you have an embedded object from another application, it produces the Metadata of an image so that it can display on the screen and when printing without having to go to the original application. It is this process of generating that image that is at fault. I suspect that it uses the display driver to do this.  Somewhere the display is identifying the DPI to the application so that it can scale the image correctly when placing it into the document.  However I suspect that Anilij's driver is mis-reporting the information, presumably giving the DPI of the native display instead.  I have had this same issue for a very long time (years perhaps) and a search shows this to be the case for others.  My specific case is a DisplayLink driver. I would be curious for others which driver they are using to see if this is only related to a specific vendor/version etc.
    • Proposé comme réponse gshipe mardi 8 août 2017 02:32
    mardi 28 février 2017 00:22
  • Same here - On DipslayLink Driver as well - I have had this issue on and off for years, but never used Visio often enough to realize it only happened on a particular screen setup. Mystery solved - thanks!
    vendredi 3 mars 2017 20:12
  • Hello,  I too have this issue and have tried everything that I can find on blog's etc. including this one.  Still get only a partial image of a flowchart that I want to place into a Word document.  This is now 03-22-2017 and I guess it is still a problem!  In the past it was as simple as lasso the image then copy and paste and it worked just fine.  This is really aggravating to say the least.  Long time user of the original Visio and MS office products.

Regards, Peter at Panasonic Avionics Corp.

mercredi 22 mars 2017 21:44
  • Made my day. I was almost getting crazy. I had the same issue when trying to export to a PDF. Parts on the right and bottom of the Visio drawing where permanently missing. After plugging off my external monitor and repeating the same steps on my notebooks primary display only - everything works like a charm.
    lundi 24 juillet 2017 16:00
  • Same issue but even worse solution, Windows 10 issue as no problems when I was on Windows 7.

As I use Citrix Receiver the DPI on all monitors needs to be the same otherwise the mouse pointer offset is incorrect. So setup DPI to 100% on both laptop & external. So now Citrix works okay.

Now try to copy & paste diagram from Visio to Word, fails top,side,bottom cut off.

Okay so I unplug external monitor, same issue still not letting me paste without cropping most of the image.

So now I set the DPI to 150% on laptop monitor the recommended. Now I can copy paste between Visio 2013 & Word 2013. 

Welcome to the future, need to unplug external monitor and change DPI settings to copy & paste :-(

lundi 14 août 2017 14:31
  • I have the same cropping problem when cutting and pasting from Visio 2016 to PowerPoint 2016 or to Word. This is a huge issue. I will lose all the graphics produced for my lectures over last 15 year. 

After trying for hours, no solution found, apart from falling back to bitmap screen captures. Bitmaps are not acceptable in this age. Smooth, scalable vector graphics is the reason for using Visio in the first place.

I have high display resolution, so increasing that won't help. Changing the font scaling to higher % from Windows 10 Display Properties reduces the cropping somewhat, but arbitrary parts of every Visio page are still lost.  In any case, display resolution should have nothing to do with vector graphics objects. PowerPoint and Word are able to crop more, but they cannot make the already cropped parts visible.

This clearly is not a new bug. Is there any hope? 

mercredi 27 septembre 2017 22:36
  • me too. Word and Visio on Windows 10. New problem for me! unbelieveable. 

PS no "auto crop" appears anywhere that I can see in Visio

lundi 4 décembre 2017 08:48
  • You have got to be shitting me. This worked.

Been trying for over an hour now.
    Thanks so much for posting this, that bug still exists in Visio 2016 to PowerPoint 2016.

lundi 29 janvier 2018 10:04
  • This is pathetic.  I need to use my big monitor in order to do the detailed graphical work.

Fix this!

samedi 17 mars 2018 18:52
  • Totally agree. Creating additional steps to allow an image to be rendered in its original form is counter-intuitive. Cropping and other steps should only be needed if the user wants to select part of the diagram.

I finally cried 'uncle' and used Snipping Tool to take a screen shot and pasted that.

VERY poor development from Microsoft.

Pamela

jeudi 22 mars 2018 22:22
  • Creating additional steps to allow an image to be rendered in its original form is counter-intuitive. Cropping and other steps should only be needed if the user wants to select part of the diagram.

I finally cried 'uncle' and used Snipping Tool to take a screen shot and pasted that.

VERY poor development from Microsoft - but not surprising given the development teams don't seem to talk to each other.

Pamela

jeudi 22 mars 2018 22:23

With Win 7: no problem, or only very long ago.

With Win10: silly problem drives me crazy after each and every update the ridiculous implementation of cut&paste behaves differently or does not work due to this problem.  This week, it adds a border to the right and at the bottom.

Hey, Microsoft: We are in the year of 2018! People dream of AI - but not even this feature works as expected!!

jeudi 19 avril 2018 20:14

===

With Win 7: no problem, or only very long ago.

With Win10: silly problem drives me crazy after each and every update the ridiculous implementation of cut&paste behaves differently or does not work due to this problem.  This week, it adds a border to the right and at the bottom.

Hey, Microsoft: We are in the year of 2018! People dream of AI - but not even this feature works as expected!!

The only way to get it work as expected on a Laptop with external monitors

1) Edit the drawings with the best resolution possible.

2) Display all screens only on local laptop monitor

3) Do all the copy-and-paste work -- for me it worked as expected.

Really, really poor implementation (Office 2016 Professional)

jeudi 19 avril 2018 20:41
  • Thank you, this works. Crop the pic first and then resize to fit the margins.
    samedi 28 avril 2018 13:57