none
Sizing Guide for SQL Server and SSIS 2012

Question

• Dear all,

For those who has experience developing a data warehouse system using SQL Server and SSIS, can you pls advise the proper way to size the server hardware?

Thank you very much!

Regards,

SJ

mardi 31 mai 2016 01:25

Toutes les réponses

• Hi SJ,

yes. If you have no idea how to size data warehouse hardware for a data warehouse you are building the proper way to do so is to find someone who knows how to do what you do not and pay them to help you.

In the mid 90s people started coming in to the DW space who had no idea what they were doing. I proposed that we have some standards, like certification or licensing, to stop these people giving us all a bad name.

Here we are, 20 years later, and BI has a pretty bad name because more than 50% of projects fail.

The #1 reason they fail is because the people doing them have no idea what they are doing and it shows.

I really do wish people would value the skills of those of us who bothered to learn how to build data warehouses and actually build more successful data warehouses.

More successful data warehouses would actually be good for everyone. Wouldn't it?

And the other thing that happens when question like this are asked is the next question occurs...like "now i have bought the hardware how do I build a data warehouse"?

And people wonder why we have so many failures.

I suggest if this is the level of question you are asking you go back to your manager and say that one of the most experienced BI people in the world suggested he allocate some budget to get some help. Ok?

The endless procession of failed data warehouse projects does not only affect the people who failed.

It also affects the rest of us.

Best Regards 

Peter 

Peter Nolan

mardi 7 juin 2016 14:48
  • Peter Nolan:  why did you bother to reply?  You obviously don't have a clue how to help anyone but yourself.

~gw

vendredi 23 mars 2018 19:54