none
Does SharePoint supports Recover Point VM as DR

Réponses

• VM snapshots nor any similar mechanism is supported by SharePoint. These technologies cannot be crash consistent across an entire farm. There are two exceptions:

If there is a single SharePoint server that also hosts SQL (so an all in one farm)

If you shutdown all SharePoint services prior to snapshot/online backup activity

Outside of these two scenarios, Microsoft does not support any sort of VM snap, online backup, or rollbacks of VMs.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marqué comme réponse GaneshPat jeudi 22 mars 2018 00:46
    mardi 20 mars 2018 14:23
    Modérateur

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

In SharePoint your data are stored in Content Database, configuration will be stored in Config Database and services will be stored in Services Database. 

If the recovery point of VM covers OS, Server state and database - I believe you can use it for DR. However the next question is how often are you taking recovery point? And when you add RPO (Recovery Point Objective) and RTO (Recovery Time Objective) requirement into the calculation, then having VM recovery point for DR is not a good decision.

Usually you will prepare cold recovery point to support OS/Server state of the servers, and you will need database DR strategy to complement the VM.

Best regards,

Riwut Libinuko
    Principal Architect, Singapore
    Office Servers and Services MVP | Singapore
    Blog : http://blog.libinuko.com

mardi 20 mars 2018 13:42
  • VM snapshots nor any similar mechanism is supported by SharePoint. These technologies cannot be crash consistent across an entire farm. There are two exceptions:

If there is a single SharePoint server that also hosts SQL (so an all in one farm)

If you shutdown all SharePoint services prior to snapshot/online backup activity

Outside of these two scenarios, Microsoft does not support any sort of VM snap, online backup, or rollbacks of VMs.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marqué comme réponse GaneshPat jeudi 22 mars 2018 00:46
    mardi 20 mars 2018 14:23
    Modérateur
  • Thanks Trevor.

What could be the best DR strategy for SharePoint 2013 on prem then ?

Currently we do have separate DR farm in placed with Log shipping  every 30 mins

Is there any other DR strategy SharePoint Supports?

• Modifié GaneshPat mercredi 21 mars 2018 05:43
    mercredi 21 mars 2018 05:43
  • Log Shipping is not supported. AlwaysOn Async + a second farm in your remote location is what you'd be looking for; the deprecated Database Mirroring in high performance mode is also supported.

I would suggest reading through this: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff628971.aspx

Trevor Seward

mercredi 21 mars 2018 14:27
    Modérateur
  • Hi Trev,

I want to try out SRM with clean shut down prior snapshot.

Could you please let me know that stopping all SharePoint services and application pools are enough to make VM's at consistence state or do I need to shut down the servers and then take snapshot?

I have One Frontend, one Batch Processing and one OWA server.

Thanks,

Ganesh

• Modifié GaneshPat vendredi 18 mai 2018 04:24
    vendredi 18 mai 2018 04:23