none
Visio 2016 Hangs/Crashes on File Menu when Office 2016 GPO Enabled

Question

• Hi All, 

Not sure if this is just affecting me. But when the "hide all office-provided templates on the office start screen and in File|New" located in "User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Microsoft Office 2016>Tools|Options|General|Web Options"  is set to Enabled. Visio Hangs for up to 30 seconds when trying to open a new document and also crashes occasionally. 

This is Visio 2016 installed via Click to Run with Volume key licensing

It looks like Visio does not handle not being able to utilize the templates well, other applications behavior normally and expected. 

Thanks

Barry

jeudi 22 février 2018 10:56

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

What is your Visio and Windows build number?

>>Visio Hangs for up to 30 seconds when trying to open a new document<<
    • By this, does the “open a new document” means when you open a Visio file that already exists? Or when you create a blank Visio file via Blank Drawing or Basic Diagram on the Visio start screen or via File->New ?
    • Does Visio hangs every time when you try to open a new document?

Does this issue still exists after you disable that Group Policy setting?

I also tried to reproduce this issue in both 32bit and 64bit version of Visio 2016(Build 9001.2171). I don’t get this problem in my environment.
    Enable policy:

Then open Visio, choose Basic Diagram with no hangs:

Drawing randomly without Visio crashes.

In the meantime, you can try these troubleshooting steps:
    1. Install the latest updates

2. To confirm whether the issue goes away if you run Visio 2016 in safe mode. Run Visio 2016 in safe mode via the steps in the article to see the outcome. If the problem does not occur in safe mode, this issue might be related to third-party add-ins. Disable the add-ins and start Visio to see whether the problem continues to occur. To disable the add-ins, follow these steps:
    Start an Visio.
          a. On the File menu, click Options, and then select Add-ins.
          b. Click Go next to the Manage field that displays "Com-in Add."
          c. Check whether there are any add-ins, and then clear the check box to disable them.
          d. Close the Visio and restart it.
    If the problem does not occur after unchecking the add-ins, repeat the procedure and select one add-in at a time. Restart Visio, and continue to add check marks until the issue reappears again. The last add-in that was rechecked should be disabled.

If the issue still exists in safe mode, try step 3.

3. Repair Visio. Here is how:
    1. Right-click the Start button and select Apps and Features on the pop-up menu.
    2. Type Visio in the search bar, and select Modify.
    3. In How would you like to repair your Office Programs, select Online Repair to make sure everything gets fixed, and then select Repair. (The faster Quick Repair option is also available, but it only detects and then replaces corrupted files.)
    4. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the repair.

Please check if this method will help. Any updates on your side, feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Aaron Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

vendredi 23 février 2018 07:37
  • Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

• Windows Build: Windows 7 Pro 7601
    • Office Build:  Visio 2016 CTR 1801 (VLK)

The Behavior is whenever you click FILE on the GUI a 20 second pause and not responding then opens to the normal new screen. Sorry i have pictures but i cannot post them need to verify.

This issue is affecting all deployed visio installations ( around 50) so i suspect it could be another GPO in conjunction with the problem GPO or a windows 7 thing. on that note  i did disable the "disable web templates" GPO that we also have enabled with no change to the beahviour when enabling the "disable office templates".

Safe Mode - Behavior remains unchanged.

Repair - I will attempt shortly however the issue is affecting all installed instances.

Thanks you again for your help. I will also duplicate the GPO and disable all other office settings to isolate the changes against a test machine. 

Thanks

Barry

vendredi 23 février 2018 15:01
  • Hi,

Thank you for the update.

I tried to reproduce this issue in my Win7(7610)&Visio professional 2016(Build 9029.2167)(installed via Click to Run with Volume key licensing) environment. I got no lucky to reproduce this issue in my environment.

If you haven’t authorized for posting pictures in this forum yet, you could upload the screenshot to OneDrive and share the link or you could send the screenshot to our email address:
    ibsofc@microsoft.com
    Note: Please add the URL of the case in the email subject or body, please make sure that you have hidden your private information

>>I will also duplicate the GPO and disable all other office settings to isolate the changes against a test machine.<<
    >>Repair - I will attempt shortly however the issue is affecting all installed instances.<<
    --Any update on your side, feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Aaron Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

mercredi 28 février 2018 03:21
  • Hi,

It has been a while since your last reply. I am checking the status of this issue.

Any update on your side, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Aaron Zhang

vendredi 2 mars 2018 01:54
  • Hi, I had a similar problem where visio would crash when you clicked File or save, and it was caused by a 32 bit versio of Visio installed on an 64bit operating system, I had to uninstall office and visio and install the 64 bit version of both.
    vendredi 27 avril 2018 09:06