none
Error adding server to Server Manager

Question

• I installed the RSAT for Windows 10 and it added the Server Manager tool.

I was able to add 14 different servers (windows 2012 R2 and 2008 R2) without any issues but couldn't add 3 Windows 2008 R2 servers without getting an error message.

Error: An error occurred while trying to load the plug-in for 1. Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Windows.ApplicationServer.ServerManager.Plugin,Version=6.3.0.0,Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=....' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Two things:

These three servers that cannot be added can be added to my Windows 8.1 desktop and to a different Windows 10 desktop.

Also, the Windows 10 desktop that can add it was a fresh install but mine was an upgrade.

Any idea how to fix this without rebuilding the desktop? 

Heath

jeudi 20 août 2015 21:56

Réponses

• Using Regedit, find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ServerManager\Roles\1" and delete it (I would recommend backing it up first).  

If you expand all of those folders you will find that this is a plugin entry that is version 6.3.0.0 (Windows 10 uses 10.0.0.0).  It was apparently left behind during the upgrade with no associated file.

Joshua Shaw

• Modifié jshaw01 lundi 24 août 2015 13:23 typo
    • Marqué comme réponse Heath_Ramos lundi 24 août 2015 13:58
    lundi 24 août 2015 13:22
  • looks like uninstalling and reinstalling RSAT doesn't remove that key.

deleting it fixed the issue

thanks

Heath

lundi 24 août 2015 13:59

Toutes les réponses

• Hi Heath_Ramos,

Thanks for your sharing.

"The system cannot find the file specified. " Which seems to be the upgrade version has some files missing/corrupted.

Please take a further look at the this part:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Windows.ApplicationServer.ServerManager.Plugin,Version=6.3.0.0,Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=....' or one of its dependencies.

As the error is related with some specific system file, we may first run the SFC and the DISM command:

SFC /scannow;

Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Besides, uninstall the RSAT, then reinstall it to check the result.

In addition to rebuilding the system, we may consider take use of the install media to perform an Repair (upgrade) install.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

vendredi 21 août 2015 08:26
    Modérateur
  • Using Regedit, find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ServerManager\Roles\1" and delete it (I would recommend backing it up first).  

If you expand all of those folders you will find that this is a plugin entry that is version 6.3.0.0 (Windows 10 uses 10.0.0.0).  It was apparently left behind during the upgrade with no associated file.

Joshua Shaw

• Modifié jshaw01 lundi 24 août 2015 13:23 typo
    • Marqué comme réponse Heath_Ramos lundi 24 août 2015 13:58
    lundi 24 août 2015 13:22
  • looks like uninstalling and reinstalling RSAT doesn't remove that key.

deleting it fixed the issue

thanks

Heath

lundi 24 août 2015 13:59
  • This worked for me.
    jeudi 15 octobre 2015 20:06