none
How can I change SID and keep the exist user accounts after sysprep on windows 2008R2?

Question

• Hi all,
    We have a windows server 2008R2 on VM, we clone the VM and use sysprep to change the SID.
    After sysprep, we try to login with RDP, well login success, however, we find an issue about `Explorer.EXE error`.
    We guess the problem is the Group Policy (Users) missing the right SID. We try to remove `Windows\System32\GroupPolicyUsers`, `Windows\System32\GroupPolicy` and run `GPupdate /force`, but get failed after run.
    We try to check `gpresult /h` but get `access denied`. I have no idea what can I do.

Well, my question is how can I change SID and keep the exist user accounts after sysprep on windows 2008R2?

samedi 7 juillet 2018 09:07

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

Sysprep is used to remove computer-specific information such as installed drivers and the computer security identifier (SID)

>Even before you create the first user account on a system, Windows defines several built-in users and groups, including the Administrator and Guest accounts. Instead of generating new random SIDs for these accounts, Windows ensures their uniqueness by simply appending a per-account unique number, called a Relative Identifier (RID), to the machine SID. The RIDs for these initial accounts are predefined, so the Administrator user always has a RID of 500.

The Machine SID Duplication Myth (and Why Sysprep Matters):
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2009/11/03/the-machine-sid-duplication-myth-and-why-sysprep-matters/

As far as I know, we are unable to change user SID manually. We can only restore them from available backup.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

lundi 9 juillet 2018 07:57
    Modérateur
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

lundi 16 juillet 2018 03:43
    Modérateur