none
Options for search availability during re-partitioning

Question

• According to everything I have read online it appears that, if you have to add another index partition for scaling purposes (i.e. your volume increases past the recommended 10 million item limit), during the re-partitioning process SharePoint Search is effectively unavailable

Per this MS Document (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/search/manage-the-index-component),

The Search service application is paused during index repartitioning and cannot crawl or index content. Also, users will not be able to run queries.

Is this true?  Is there NO WAY to have search available to users while adding another partition? Maybe by pointing the search system to use the index replicas for searching while the index is being repartitioned?

Everything I have found so far talks about how to re-partition/scale out search components, but nothing discusses how to address the issue of system/search downtime during this process.  It is difficult for me to believe that there is no way to keep the system available and functional to users during this re-partitioning time (which could potentially be pretty long depending on the volume level of the index).  

Thanks

mercredi 27 juin 2018 01:00

Toutes les réponses

• Hi rtmystic,

It’s the default behavior that the search query cannot be used during index repartitioning since the search web application is paused.

We suggest customer to repartition index outside of business hours.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

jeudi 28 juin 2018 09:18
  • Hi rymystic,

Is there any update?

If the post helps you, you can mark i as answer.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

jeudi 5 juillet 2018 02:11
  • There is nothing to update -- it is the way it is as you said ... it's necessary to do this during "off hours".   Although that is ok for smaller systems, the concern is what if the re-indexing takes a very long time and requires the system to be offline during regular hours because there was not enough time to complete the process?  Currently this is not an issue but it could be a problem at some point in the future.

Thanks for clarifying.

mardi 10 juillet 2018 04:49