none
SharePoint 2016 - List's LeftBar-Filtering/Nav-Pane not showing

Question

• Hello,

we are testing SharePoint as an option for collaboration and team management. 

We have a Document-List in our team site and enabled Managed Metadata.

Afterwards I created Promoted Links with metadata filtering enabled.

After some changes to the look and feel of this site the left bar for metadata filtering is not showing in this list anymore.

All needed site features are enabled and I am able to configure "Metadata navigation settings" in the Library Settings. 

I don't know how to get this feature back. 

A CSS was recently added to this site which disables the Share-Buttons.

Content:

/* CSS to hide the various Share buttons and links */
    /* from TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com             */
    /* Use at your own risk. Batteries not included.   */

/* Hide Site Share button (page top right) */
    #ctl00_site_share_button  {
     display:none !important;
    }

a[id$=site_share_button] {
        display: none !important;
    } 

/* Hide library toolbar (QCB) Share button */
    .js-listview-qcbShareButton {
    }

/* Hide the Share in the ... popout */
    .js-callout-actionsMain span:nth-child(2) {
    }

/* Hide the Share in the ... ... menu */
    a[title="Share"] {
    }

/* Hide the INVITE PEOPLE button in Create Folder */
    #csfd_invitePeopleBtn {
    }

/* Hide the Share button in the FILES ribbon */
    #Ribbon\.Documents\.Share\.ShareItem-Large {
    }

/* Hide the Invite People button in the Shared With dialog */
    #lnkShrItem {
    }

This is the only change done on source code level, and it's working properly. 

Removing the CSS does not solve this problem.

Perhaps anybody has any idea why that could have happened, or how to get it back ?

Thanks in advance

André

lundi 11 juin 2018 14:01

Toutes les réponses

• Hi André,

To troubleshoot the issue, check things below:

1. Reset to site definitions. Go to site settings->site actions->reset to site definitions->select” Reset all pages in this site to site definition version” and click “Reset”.

2. Use IE F12 developer tool to check if there is error in the page in the document.

More reference:

Set up metadata navigation for a list or library.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/set-up-metadata-navigation-for-a-list-or-library-c222a75d-8b18-44e2-9ed8-7ee4e0d23cfc

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

mardi 12 juin 2018 09:21
    Modérateur
  • Hej Sara,

thank you for your response.

I am able to see the left pane as soon as the site is reset to site definition.

When I set the CSS (Disable Share Button) the left pane disappears instantly. After removing the line the Share-Button is available again but it does not revert the effect regarding the left pane. Neither does using an older version of the oslo.html-file.

I add the following line to the oslo.html

<head>

<link href="../../SiteAssets/sharepoint_share-button_disabled.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" />

</head>

The content of the CSS is in my first post.

With developer options in IE I get these Console events (before reset):

After reset (left pane is now visible):

Best regards

André

mardi 12 juin 2018 11:12
  • André,

What masterpage are you using ? if its oslo, then try and set it for Seatle one.

Seatle does have the left Nav panel.

P

mardi 12 juin 2018 11:27
  • P,

using Seatle instead of Oslo brings back the metadata filtering pane also with Share-Button disabled. Also resetting Oslo to the site definitions bring the Key Filter back on the left.

Unfortunetly it is absolutely not useful to use Seatle. We use navigation for many links and therefore have to scroll extensively. The Seatle Masterpage is very unhandy. 

André

• Modifié André897 mercredi 13 juin 2018 08:35 Sentence was not proper.
    mercredi 13 juin 2018 08:34
  • André,

I would go from a point where you have the left nav bar and then add the changes, css etc..

The CSS above, can't make this happen. Something else must be in place.

when you say "This is the only change done on source code level, and it's working properly.", do you mean source control ? if so, just fund the previous version and compare it.

Other thing is, is the HTML markup rendered ? is it just display none ? or its not rendered at all ?

P

mercredi 13 juin 2018 09:46
  • P,

I edited oslo.html (as well as seatle.html) and added just the line described in my previous post. I cannot answer your question regariding rendering. I used SharePoint Designer to change the oslo.html.

I am with you that a simple CSS should not have that effect but I am able to reproduce it.

After reset it is visible (in Oslo). I add CSS to oslo.html I'm not able to see Key Filter in the left pane anymore. Removing the <style> from oslo.html or going back to older version of oslo.html does not revert that.

As the problem does not occure in Seatle with the CSS implemented it is hard to understand why it occurs in Oslo.

If at all possible I would like to avoid changing to Seatle.

André

mercredi 13 juin 2018 10:44
  • The rendering part is

press F12 on the browser or open dev tools.

On the HTML, are the left nav bar elements present ? 

you can compare the HTML itself

Reset the site, open the page save the HTML, repeat after the Sharepoint designer change to inclue de CSS

Compare both saved files, something other than the css change must be there.

P

mercredi 13 juin 2018 11:16
  • Hi André,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

lundi 18 juin 2018 08:33
    Modérateur
  • P,

Thank you. 

So after reviewing the pages before and after:

• A total of ~180 lines are missing including: 
    <input type="hidden" name="ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizerWidth" id="ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizerWidth" value="205">
    <input type="hidden" name="ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizerHeight" id="ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizerHeight" value="0">

function forceInitLoadNavResizer()
                { ... }

function _spNavigateHierarchy(nodeDiv, dataSourceId, dataPath, url, listInContext, type) { ... }

function initNavResizer(){var resizer = new Microsoft.Office.Server.Ajax.NavResizer('ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizerWidth','ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizerHeight','idKeyFiltersContainer','idKeyFiltersContainer','ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizer');}

function loadNavResizer()
    { ... }

<span id="ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizer">
    </span>

For testing I just added a comment (no CSS) to the html. Result is the same, all those lines are missing.

Do you know whether I have other possibilites to publish this CSS to the design without using SharePoint Designer ? Possibly SharePoint Designer is causing this behaviour ?

André

lundi 18 juin 2018 10:53
  • Hi Sara,

I wasn't able to investigate until today.

I can see now, that these elements are missing in the html but I still don't know why or how I can avoid that behaviour.

Best regards,

André

lundi 18 juin 2018 10:57
  • P,

Thank you. 

So after reviewing the pages before and after:

• A total of ~180 lines are missing including: 
    <input type="hidden" name="ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizerWidth" id="ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizerWidth" value="205">
    <input type="hidden" name="ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizerHeight" id="ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizerHeight" value="0">

function forceInitLoadNavResizer()
                { ... }

function _spNavigateHierarchy(nodeDiv, dataSourceId, dataPath, url, listInContext, type) { ... }

function initNavResizer(){var resizer = new Microsoft.Office.Server.Ajax.NavResizer('ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizerWidth','ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizerHeight','idKeyFiltersContainer','idKeyFiltersContainer','ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizer');}

function loadNavResizer()
    { ... }

<span id="ctl00_PlaceHolderLeftNavBar_ctl01_NavResizer">
    </span>

For testing I just added a comment (no CSS) to the html. Result is the same, all those lines are missing.

Do you know whether I have other possibilites to publish this CSS to the design without using SharePoint Designer ? Possibly SharePoint Designer is causing this behaviour ?

André

Regarding SharePoint Designer ...

I open the site in SharePoint Designer, open "Master Pages" > Check out "oslo.html" > Edit that file in "Advanced mode" and save it > Check in > Reload page

André

• Modifié André897 lundi 18 juin 2018 11:00
    lundi 18 juin 2018 11:00