none
Network Printer shows offline RRS feed

• Question

• Print Server - Windows 2012 r2

Client - Windows 10 64bit

Issue: Client shows network printer to be offline but print server shows printer to be online and available.

Troubleshooting: Restart of spooler service corrects the issue for client, but it re-occurs at random (sometimes weeks in between events).

Nothing reported in the event logs referencing the spooler service.

Both server and client are patched up to date with standard security and OS patches.

vendredi 18 octobre 2019 18:37

Toutes les réponses

• HI

1 can you enter winver in command prompt on problematical win10 then look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    2 what's the issue printers model ?
    3 when the problem happen ,can you check if the printer spooler service still running ?
    4 when the problem happen ,is this issue happen on only one problematical printer and other window 10 build-in printers(Microsoft Printer to PDF etc) work fine ?
    5 when the problem happen ,if you ping the problematical printer on problematical win10 ,will it work fine ?
    6 if you deploy another printer to this computer ,will the problem persist ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

lundi 21 octobre 2019 03:23
    Modérateur
  • 1 can you enter winver in command prompt on problematical win10 then look the os version and os version number ? Microsoft Windows 10  1809 (OS Build 17763.737)
    2 what's the issue printers model ? HP MFP M880
    3 when the problem happen ,can you check if the printer spooler service still running ? Print Spooler service is still running
    4 when the problem happen ,is this issue happen on only one problematical printer and other window 10 build-in printers(Microsoft Printer to PDF etc) work fine ? Problem affects network printers
    5 when the problem happen ,if you ping the problematical printer on problematical win10 ,will it work fine ? printer is online and correctly connected to network. ping successful
    6 if you deploy another printer to this computer ,will the problem persist ? I have 14 printers deployed. problem is consistent
    lundi 21 octobre 2019 13:31
  • How are you setting up the connections?

Are you using the short server name or FQDN?

All Windows clients will first build this connection over IPv6.  This is the default protocol used.  If the network changes, is the print server still reachable over IPv6?

Are the Windows clients desktop, laptop, or both?

As you discovered, restarting the spooler with fix the issue.  This action will reinitialize the connection to the server.  Restarting the client spooler is the better method to fix the connection but ideally, determining what breaks done in your environment is the goal.

Alan Morris formerly with Windows Printing Team

mardi 22 octobre 2019 06:17
    Auteur de réponse
  • Yes, I am using FQDN to the print server and connecting to the desired printer to establish the printer on the client.

I disable IPv6 on my clients and servers (work environment). The client is an HP laptop.

I have established a task routine to reboot the print server once a week. I will monitor and see if the issue persists or if this is just a 'feature' of the 2012 Print server that is not big enough to get fixed.

mercredi 23 octobre 2019 13:53
  • HI

7 when the problem happen ,if you run the troubleshooter on problematical win10 ,what's the result?
    8 we can check below troubleshoot method ,i hope they will help you solve this issue or find new thread.
    Troubleshoot Printer Stuck in Offline Status in Windows
    https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/troubleshoot-printer-stuck-in-offline-status-in-windows/
    network printer shows offline
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-networking/network-printer-shows-offline/a0aeb50a-772d-4e8b-b61c-86e296c0b3f7

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

samedi 26 octobre 2019 15:08
    Modérateur
  • On the print server, in the Event Logs, check here for more information:

Event Viewer > Application and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Print Service

Look in both the Admin, and Operational Logs.

samedi 26 octobre 2019 17:16
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

mardi 29 octobre 2019 14:37
    Modérateur
  • No progress. With my weekly schedule of reboots, the issue has not presented itself again.

I did encounter an issue where SNMP was disabled on the printer config and that printer stopped reporting to the Print Server. I am currently trying to figure a work-around for this since SNMP1/2 are considered network risks now.

vendredi 1 novembre 2019 20:33