RDS Remote Desktop Services License Usage Report Automation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, 

I am looking for an efficient way to automate a report of the usage of RDS licenses on the respective license server.

The usual generation of the report is NOT the problem here. I do understand that I can manually generate one at any time following the instructions as described here (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754625.aspx).

What I am looking for is automating that process as I have to keep track of several different RDS Servers in different environments. Has anyone ever attempted that and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Wanda

mardi 16 janvier 2018 14:38

Réponses

• Hi Wanda,

Below is a code sample to help you get started.  It needs to be run in an admin powershell prompt on the 2012/2016 RD Licensing server:

$fileName = (Invoke-WmiMethod Win32_TSLicenseReport -Name GenerateReportEx).FileName
    $summaryEntries = (Get-WmiObject Win32_TSLicenseReport|Where-Object FileName -eq $fileName).FetchReportSummaryEntries(0,0).ReportSummaryEntries
    $summaryEntries|ForEach {Write-Host $_.ProductVersion $_.TSCALType "Installed:" $_.InstalledLicenses "Issued:" $_.IssuedLicenses}

-TP

jeudi 18 janvier 2018 01:22

Toutes les réponses

• Hi Wanda,

What is the operating system of the RDS server? And based on my research, I found a PowerShell script which may meet your needs, for your reference:
    Get RDS-CAL statistics in PowerShell
    http://www.citrixguru.com/2015/06/14/get-rds-cal-statistics-in-powershell/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If you need further help, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Albert Ling

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

mercredi 17 janvier 2018 06:18
  • Dear Albert,

thanks for your swift resonse. The OS Versions are 2012 and 2016. From what I gather in the link you posted the script dies not work on 2016? Any clue on that as well, as you really seem to know you stuff?

Cheers

Wanda

mercredi 17 janvier 2018 07:48
  • Hi Wanda,

Below is a code sample to help you get started.  It needs to be run in an admin powershell prompt on the 2012/2016 RD Licensing server:

$fileName = (Invoke-WmiMethod Win32_TSLicenseReport -Name GenerateReportEx).FileName
    $summaryEntries = (Get-WmiObject Win32_TSLicenseReport|Where-Object FileName -eq $fileName).FetchReportSummaryEntries(0,0).ReportSummaryEntries
    $summaryEntries|ForEach {Write-Host $_.ProductVersion $_.TSCALType "Installed:" $_.InstalledLicenses "Issued:" $_.IssuedLicenses}

-TP

jeudi 18 janvier 2018 01:22
  • Hi TP,

that is very good start indeed. It works on 2012 (test on 2016 still outstanding) and gives the number of installed licenses and the number of issued licenses.

Unfortunately, for proper licensse managment I still need the exact user accessing and expiration date. But step 1 is already very helpful. Thank you very much for that.

If you have any ideas on how to get further detail from that report it will be greatly appreciated.

In any case, have a wonderful weekend

• Modifié Wanda201 vendredi 19 janvier 2018 11:02
    vendredi 19 janvier 2018 11:02