none
WSUS Install Failing - WinSer2016 - Installation on Non-Domain - Workgroup Only Server

Question

• Hi Folks,

I have been searching, but not yet been able to find an answer to this issue. I wonder if you can assist.

I have Windows Server 2016, running on a VM, logged into a workgroup. The reason we are doing this, is to publicly make available our WSUS Server, without interfering with the domain at all.

On trying to run the postinstall, it connects to the DB (SQL Hosted on the network), creates the content, but then fails thereafter with the following error:

System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException: The local computer is not joined to a domain or the domain cannot be contacted.
       at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetComputerDomain()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.GetMachineAccountInfo(Byte[]& binarySid, String& accountName)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.Configure()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.Run(String instanceName, Action`1 logWriter, Boolean contentLocal)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)

I don't want to join this to the domain, as it falls outside of the company requirements (we have our own WSUS Server for internal hardware), as this is an extra offering for customers hardware for example, we need it to be in isolation.

How do I force the install to occur on a workgroup machine? This is going to be the "original" server, which will subsequently allow downstream servers to download the updates, and allow me to control the releases, along with workstations connecting directly to it as their own "Windows Update Server".

mardi 10 juillet 2018 15:57

Toutes les réponses

• Hello jeebobjames,

Glad to help.

Maybe you could try to access your sql server remotely by using sql server management studio which is installed on your wsus server. Check if it works.

Hope this reply useful.

Best Regards,
    Ray Jia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

mercredi 11 juillet 2018 10:31
  • Hi Ray,

the connection seems OK, as the logs prior to this show working on the database perfectly well, adding Stored Procedures, adding tables, closing the connection and then it fails thereafter?

Its almost like something else after the process is starting which is causing the conflict?

mercredi 11 juillet 2018 11:07
  • Hello jeebobjames,

Thanks for your feedback.

My local experimental environment is not available, but I guess it may be due to permission issues. You can check if your WSUS computer and login account have the appropriate permissions on the SQL server.

Look forward to you feedback.

Best Regards,

Ray Jia

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

jeudi 12 juillet 2018 05:39
  • The DB was opened up with dual authentication. I could login to the DB fine, it could work on the DB fine, add the stored procuedures and modify the DB (our DBA's analysed and confirmed the changes where successful), but unfortunately, it then fails after it has closed gracefully the connections to the DB.

It doesnt in the logs though, show what it is trying to do at the point it attempts domain authentication

jeudi 12 juillet 2018 08:33
  • Hi jeebobjames,

Thanks for your feedback. I would do some research for this issue.

If there is any progress, feel free to feedback.

Best Regards,

Ray Jia

vendredi 13 juillet 2018 03:09