Howto Restore VSS Functionality on Windows 2012 Server with SQL 2012 and Sharepoint 2013 installed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have a custom Installation with Windows 2012 Server and SQL 2012 SP1 CU3 and SharePoint 2013 Foundation with PU March.
    After the complete Installation of these products on a single physical machine, Windows Server backup fails to backup the systemstate.

I tried all that VSS System writer tricks from the Microsoft Support pages to restore the function.
    But this doesn´t work.

The Problem ist caused by

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL dirctory with more than 1180 elements.

The system writers internal implimentation can only Support enumerating 1000 subfolders in order to build the file list for the metadata XML file of a given System
    directory.

When will Microsoft fix this Problem?

lundi 25 mars 2013 15:08

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

In the case of ASP.NET applications you may be able to clear the application file cache within IIS or configure the application file cache to store it's temp files in an alternative location. This configuration may be application specific.

Otherwise backed up and remove the temp files and subfolders located under  C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\ . This will allow the system writer to complete the OnIdentify() function successfully. 

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

mercredi 27 mars 2013 07:16
  • Hi,

the problem is not the file cache or ASP.NET applications.

The folder is the GAC_MSIL Folder with 1185 folders. I talked to 3rd Level Support from Microsoft.
    It´s by design, the System writer is not able to enumerate more than 1000 files ...
    This is by design and will not be changed.

The Problem exists in Windows 2008 R2 and still in Windows 2012 Edition.

Microsoft recommends to install Windows 2012, SQL 2012 and TFS 2012 on one machine.
    And install SharePoint on a different Server!

mercredi 27 mars 2013 07:58
  • I guess we are facing yet another stupid limitation from Microsoft (like many others). Probably they were thinking (like they usually do) "who would need to have more than 1000 subfolders?". Ironically Microsoft itself need to have more than 1000 subfolders. Anyway I guess those stupid limitations were somehow inherited from Bill Gates who told in the past that nobody will ever need more than 64 Kbytes of RAM memory :).
    vendredi 29 mars 2013 22:36
  • We have similar situation, server 2012 and sharepoint 2013. Contacted MS support and they point me to the just released  hotfix (couple days ago) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2807849/en-us . We applied it in our dev machine, rebooted, and after it boots up the system writer is available.  Tested the backup of system state using MS server backup role and it was successful.
    vendredi 17 mai 2013 19:43
  • We havesimilar situation too, Serv2012 std, SQL2012 and Sharepoint 2013. The folder is the GAC_MSIL Folder with 1258 folders We donwloaded the x64 file of this site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2807849/en-us.

But the after execute de fix, we received this error:

Windows Update Standalone Installer - The update is not applicable to your computer-I will appreciate any help.

Thanks

vendredi 22 août 2014 20:47
  • We have Server 2012 R2 Standard, same issue. KB 2807849 didn't help - the installer claims it doesn't apply to my version. My server has relatively little installed - just SQL 2008R2 and a couple small applications.

I can't back up my server!

vendredi 19 décembre 2014 19:10
  • We have Server 2012 R2 Standard, same issue. KB 2807849 didn't help - the installer claims it doesn't apply to my version. My server has relatively little installed - just SQL 2008R2 and a couple small applications.

I can't back up my server!

for you and all the others, I suggest Hyper-V and use separate instances of Windows Server for each major role. this will allow you to use server manager to make snapshots etc for backups etc.

SharePoint and IIS are OK together, SQL server is better off as a separate VM

VSS I believe is  source safe from Visual Studio and that can also be a separate VM

MSFT Signature

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!
    Vegan Advocate How can you be an environmentalist and still eat meat?

samedi 20 décembre 2014 15:35