none
VPN access from Windows 10 not able to access some folders

Question

• I have Server 2008 R2 and I am using the Active Directory Home Holder to set each user a Private Folder that only they can access, the Documents, Music and Pictures all sync okay, but one user on Windows 10 is unable to Access the Private Folder, this is just a standard folder with permissions for only that user, It all works in the office but not remote on VPN

If I copy the folder to my laptop I can access it without issue, when the user clicks on the folder they get an error "Location is not available - This file is currently not available for use on this computer"

Also manually mapped drives do not appear on VPN but work okay in the office

I have enabled slow connection via GPO as I thought this was a slow connection problem and it was using offline mode

The VPN is also setup on GPO

The user vpn logon is set to use Windows logon, so automatically connects them when the select vpn access

I am based remote from the office so physically seeing the laptop in question is not easy

jeudi 14 juin 2018 12:59

Toutes les réponses

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

We'll need to verify the specific user's permission first. Please check the specific folder's properties > security > Advanced > Effective Permissions if it correctly granted permission to the specific user as the following figure.

Hope this helps. I look forward hearing your good news.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

samedi 16 juin 2018 09:48
    Modérateur
  • Thanks for the reply,

All the permissions are correct.

She can access the folder when physically in the office without issues, only when connected via VPN does she get a problem.

dimanche 17 juin 2018 07:25
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Did you set VPN connection policy within NPS server for VPN clients who can access to the sharing resources?

Besides, we'll turn off the client's firewall for testing purpose.

Meanwhile, we could try another VPN account to access the sharing folder.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

dimanche 17 juin 2018 13:01
    Modérateur
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

VPN is setup on GPO, Computer Configuration, Preferences, Control Panel Settings, Network Options, VPN Connection (All Users)

Other VPN accounts work, including my own, I can access the folder without issues

Roy

dimanche 17 juin 2018 19:25
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

Could you use IP address to access the share folder by the problematic user? Please check it so shat we can exclude DNS cause.

Hope this helps. I look forward hearing your good news.

Best regards,

Michael

mardi 19 juin 2018 08:57
    Modérateur
  • Thanks for the reply,

What i have tried is from within the office, disconnect the laptop from the wifi and connect it to a mobile phone and then connect through the vpn, this way I can access all the folders and drives, so I am now at a loss as another laptop can access vpn from the home location?

Is this something to do with a slow connection and using offline mode?

I will try the ip address when I am in the office next

Roy

jeudi 21 juin 2018 05:45
  • Just tried this again and the files in the (Server 2008 r2 HOME HOLDER that is set in AD) are showing a grey cross, all other files in the shared mapped drive all work, its only files within the HOME FOLDER set in AD that are not accessible

Roy

vendredi 22 juin 2018 11:00