none
Connectors don't stick to shapes anymore

Question

• Hello,

I have been working on a visio diagram with many pages. After a while, the connectors don't stick to the shapes anymore. i.e. I have two squar shapes and using an arrow to connect them (flow chart). Up to this point the arrows (connectors) were sitcking on both ends to the shapes and if I move the shapes arrow adjusted itself too. Now the arrow end stays where it was when I move the shape.

Auto connect option in the advanced menu is on. This has happened to me in the past also, after working on a document for a while this annoying issue came abut. BTW, this is visio 2010.

thank you for your help.

mercredi 13 avril 2011 19:53

Toutes les réponses

• Hard to say. If you glued the connectors, then turned off glue somehow, the glued connectors should still stay glued.

If you selected a bunch of connectors, and then nudged them using the arrow keys, that would break the glue, but the connectors would still appear to be coming into the boxes as if they were glued.

Other than that, not sure. Which template are you using? Do you have a very large number of objects on the page? Have you done anything with layers?

Chris Roth Visio Guy (http://www.visguy.com)
    • Proposé comme réponse Paul Herber jeudi 1 mars 2012 19:38
    jeudi 14 avril 2011 09:16
  • Hi,

I understand what you're saying with using arows to move the object, but that's not the case.

I do have a large number of objects on each page of my flow charts, but I have not used the layering.

What I have been doing to remedy this, is to open a brand new Visio document, copy/paste my current diagram onto it, which works fine and then copy it back to the master document...

Thank you

jeudi 14 avril 2011 16:00
  • Hmm. Very strange. I wonder if Visio is somehow being overwhelmed, OR if it is a refresh problem. When the connectors stop gluing, try changing the view by zooming out. See if the connectors update. If that doesn't work, save and close the drawing, then re-open. See if the moved shapes are connected after all.

Chris Roth Visio Guy (http://www.visguy.com)
    jeudi 14 avril 2011 21:19
  • Thank you for those suggestions. I have used them in the past and they have not helped me.

I have many projects that I use similar diagrams for. So what I typically do is copy an existing file from a past projet to my new project folder, rename it and delete the pages I don't need and then start building on top of what I have. everyday that I work on this file I rename it to something diferent so I can maintain a trace of my work and changes; i.e. Proj-X-04142011, next day it would be named Proj-X-04152011 and so on.

Do you think reusing an existing file and modifying it may cause my problem? As I mentioned before, if I copy the diagram that is not sticking to a new Visio file, then it works and sticks.

thank you

vendredi 15 avril 2011 13:03
  • I was having a similar problem:

First I checked that AutoConnect was enabled

1) File - Options - Advanced - Enable AutoConnect

2) View - Visual Aids - Check "AutoConnect"

and the kicker was:

3) View - Visual Aids - click on the little arrow for more options - Check "Snap" and "Glue"

Sorry to dig this one up but it came up in my search. Hope this helps someone in the future.

• Proposé comme réponse Nick Grivas jeudi 17 novembre 2011 11:11
    • Modifié Nick Grivas jeudi 17 novembre 2011 11:18
    jeudi 17 novembre 2011 11:11
  • Your solution worked great! Thanks for posting Nick.
    mercredi 29 février 2012 15:48
  • Nick, your answer just took care of my issue also.  Great documentation.  Thanks!
    samedi 3 mars 2012 01:15
  • I am having the same exact issue, except the fix for automatic connections does not work. On some objects where I created a connection points, and copied those objects worked like a champ then some ceased to even highlight when hovering a connector over the point.

What I have resorted to doing, and is a pain, is to find a object that has continued to show a glue attachment point, and copy that object - replacing the defective object. However, as a peculiar observation, this has happened to me in earlier versions of visio; and then it seemed to be regional on the page - in some areas connections work with out a hitch, while in other zones - nada.

I use layers extensively and have checked to make sure the objects are not locked and active.

I turned off automatic connections and back on several times and compared properties in the shape sheets for like items.

It's not a show stopper, but frustrating - help would be greatly appreciated.

dimanche 15 avril 2012 03:42
  • It works very well, thank you so much!
    mardi 7 août 2012 20:31
  • Hello everyone!

Playing around with this issue I have found true someones remark that this problem occures when the region of page you are in is overhelmed with connection points. Removing some of them makes shape to start gluing again, so be careful with a number of cennector points in your shapes!

I think the maximum number of connectors per page can be changed somewhere in the registry. I have seen this for the Visio 2007. Does anyone have an idea how to do it with Visio 2010?

mardi 22 janvier 2013 12:25
  • I am having the same problem.  I have all of the recommended things checked.  I have even uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times.

Its really frusterating as there are weird connections everywhere and when I try and expand a band in my cross functional flow diagram I lose all my connections.

Very Very frusterating.

Help!

jeudi 24 janvier 2013 17:02
  • YOU ROCK!! THANKS!!
    mardi 20 août 2013 15:32
  • Thank you so much Nick. You saved me.
    vendredi 27 septembre 2013 13:03
  • and the kicker was:

3) View - Visual Aids - click on the little arrow for more options - Check "Snap" and "Glue"

Sorry to dig this one up but it came up in my search. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Nick - thank you so much... this has solved my issue and saved me having to copy and paste all my flows into a new document!!

Thank you Nick! :-)

jeudi 21 novembre 2013 11:16
  • Nick,

You're a life saver!  The little arrow Glue setting was the ticket for me too!

lundi 8 juin 2015 19:58
  • Me too!!

Thanks, Nick.

mardi 7 juillet 2015 02:12
  • I had this same problem... but Auto-connect was checked and the "View - visual aids" menu also had everything checked.  S

Then, on the Home tab, I click Layers - Layer Properties and found MORE check boxes for snap & glue.  Somehow, mine were unchecked... once I checked them the connectors started working again!  I know I didn't change it, so I wonder if an accidental hotkey press is causing this?

mercredi 19 août 2015 14:42
  • That worked for me as well. Thanks!
    dimanche 23 août 2015 19:45
  • I was having the same issue and this solution worked.  Thank you!
    vendredi 13 mai 2016 17:26
  • That was very helpful. Thanks.

Enabling the autoconnect + snap & glue options worked. :)

jeudi 26 mai 2016 03:11
  • Thank you.  That solved my problem.
    lundi 7 novembre 2016 15:57
  • This solved the issue for me.  Thanks Nick!
    mardi 17 janvier 2017 14:59
  • THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!! YOU SAVED MY DAY ! This problem was driving me crazy! :P
    mercredi 19 juillet 2017 15:27
  • Thank you so much, this worked great.  Now my concern is how did the document ever become "unglued" to begin with?
    mercredi 18 octobre 2017 18:49
  • Each document have own 'glued' settings ! If you need change these settings in some document, you need write macro or add-in
    mercredi 18 octobre 2017 23:03
  • View - Visual Aids - click on the little arrow for more options - Check "Snap" and "Glue"

check snap ON

snap to connection points

check Glue ON

and check Glue to connection points

jeudi 15 février 2018 18:17
  • Snap and Glue worked for me. This appears to be a per drawing setting - you need to check it for every drawing you open. 
    lundi 30 avril 2018 13:07