none
Lost abitiliy to use Remote Console and Run Reports

שאלה

• I rebooted my SCCM server and now I cannot connect to it from the remote console on my Desktop nor can I run any reports, from the server (I can launch IE on my desktop and they work). I noticed that when I run the reports it is trying to go to the Internet instead of the Intranet. We have not changed anything I am aware of and unfortunately I inherited this server so I am not sure about a lot of the configuration that went into it. When I rebooted again I got the following error in the server App log.

The SMS Fallback Status Point could not transfer messages from the staging folder to the outbox.

Possible causes: The outbox is not accessible or is an invalid location. The operating system reported error 3: The system cannot find the path specified

The error msg we get on the remote console is

The ConfigMgr console could not connect to the ConfigMgr site database. Verify that this computer has network connectivity to the SMS Provider computer and that your user account has Remote Activation permissions on both the ConfigMgr site server and SMS Provider computers. For more information, see "How to Configure DCOM Permissions for Configuration Manager Console Connections" in ConfigMgr Help.

I cannot find any logs on the server but I am still looking, and I am still going through the ones on my workstation since I am not sure which one will have what I need.

We did have one of our Exchange server’s crash which could account for the first message but I don't understand how it could have anything to do with accessing the reports from the server, or more importantly prevent Remote Console from accessing the server.

Thanks for any help or pointers

יום שלישי 16 אוקטובר 2012 12:46

תשובות

• OK don't know if I just missed this the first million times I was going through this but this was the problem

launch dcomcnfg and verify that “enable distributed com on this computer” is checked

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי Liesa123 יום רביעי 07 נובמבר 2012 15:42
    יום רביעי 07 נובמבר 2012 15:42

כל התגובות

• Here is what I would try... (emphasis on TRY)

- Confirm that your useraccount is in both the local "SMSAdmins" group, and the local "Distributed COM" group on that server.  See if that's enough for the remote console.  If not... then...

- Run through the CM07 setup.exe, and you are going to want to "Reset the Site", aka, a Site Reset.  That will normally take care of any missed permissions on regkeys, files or folders in your installation.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

יום שלישי 16 אוקטובר 2012 13:51
    מנחה דיון
  • HI Liesa

is your site database installed on the same server as your ConfigMGR site server? I'm going to assume that it is based purely on the fact that you started seeing this after you restarted the server.

First ensure that your SQL Services and SMS services are started.

I have seen the console connection issue numerous times and it is usually due to SQL connectivity.

SQL by default uses random ports for tcp access to the database, in order for services to identify which port to connect to the database on using remote tcp connections it relies on the Service Principal Name that usually gets registered in Active Directory.

This SPN registration occurs automatically when the SQL Services are started, if the SQL services for the SCCM instance are running under a service account you need to grant the service account permissions to update its own SPN in active directory, if its running under the local system account you need to grant the servers computer account permissions to update its own SPN. Once you have done this restarting the SQL services should force an update of the SPN and fix the issue (if this is in fact the cause of the issue)

Also ensure that the SQL Server Browser service is started (preferably set it to automatic) 

References:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb735877.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb735885.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms181087(v=sql.100).aspx

Kriss Milne | MCSE

*Please click 'Vote As Helpful' or 'Mark as Answer' if a post has helped you or answered your question*

• נערך על-ידי Kriss Milne יום שלישי 16 אוקטובר 2012 14:22
    יום שלישי 16 אוקטובר 2012 14:19
  • Thank you for the quick reply. I am still working through both sets of directions. I should have said that the SQL server is seperate from the SCCM server, but I can access the report files from my workstation, just not the server. When I go to acccess them from server it asks for my user name and password and after adding them I only get a blank ConfigMgr Report View page - if I copy the same link to my workstation goes right through. The database appears fully populated and i seem to be able to work with it - currenlty seeing if a piece of software will install on my workstation that I just pushed to it, it appears to be working although it has not finished installing. There were a couple of the SMS services that were not started and I started them (checked both servers) non of the SQL servers needed starting.
    יום שלישי 16 אוקטובר 2012 15:09
  • Thank you for the quick reply. I am still working through both sets of directions. I should have said that the SQL server is separate from the SCCM server, but I can access the report files from my workstation, just not the server. When I go to access them from server it asks for my user name and password and after adding them I only get a blank ConfigMgr Report View page - if I copy the same link to my workstation goes right through. The database appears fully populated and i seem to be able to work with it - currently seeing if a piece of software will install on my workstation that I just pushed to it, it appears to be working although it has not finished installing. There were a couple of the SMS services that were not started and I started them (checked both servers) none of the SQL servers needed starting.

יום שלישי 16 אוקטובר 2012 15:09
  • Have you reviewed the event log on the ConfigMGR site server?

Kriss Milne | MCSE

*Please click 'Vote As Helpful' or 'Mark as Answer' if a post has helped you or answered your question*

יום שלישי 16 אוקטובר 2012 15:20
  • Yuppers and the only error I get is the one above about outbox and that is probably because we don't have it configured to send us emails. Went through all the system status information and all I get is the same information about the outbox. I have confirmed that it can push software and I am trying a reimage right now, it kicked off and I have some checking it to make sure there are no hang-ups here in a little bit. I would say "patches" as they always seem to cause issues but we have two networks and only one is having issues plus the patches actually were not put on until after the issue started and they are on both networks.

יום שלישי 16 אוקטובר 2012 15:49
  • OK I tried the other stuff last week before going out of town since this looked like something I should not do before a 5 day weekend. I looked around all the accounts on the servers I could find, keep looking though just in case there is anything else I missed, and found that neither of our servers (two different networks) has anyone as member of The "Distributed COM" group and since the other one is working I am thinking this is not the problem. Before I started to "Reset the Site", since I didn't the initial setup I am wondering if this is going to be easy to follow or are there some directions out there? I can tell from the errors that this is a permissions issue so it sounds like something I want to do next, but they might get a little testy if I break the server.
    יום שני 22 אוקטובר 2012 18:09
  • Additional information

Last week I rebooted our SCCM server and when I did so we lost the ability to use the remote consoles. We get access denied. I have verified that the Site Server and the SMS Provider are the same server, with SQL being on a separate server. I can access the database from the server so I know that connection is good, but I cannot run reports from the server, but I can run queries, image computers, and it seems everything else I have checked. When trying to run the reports it asks for credentials and when you put them in the Report Viewer comes up but the page is blank, except for the top which only shows that you are in the ConfigMgr Report Viewer.  (there is a log at the bottom of all this for those interested but please note it appears the same as others but the solution for other did not fix)

I have checked the DCOM settings and it did not have SMS Admin but it does have Administrators and all the users trying to access it are part of that group. I have added SMS Admin and given it the Remote Launch Allow – and it still is not working. I checked on the SMS Admin account and it has no one as members but we have two networks and the working one also has no member so I am thinking they set it up so that the Admin account does what the SMS Admin account is supposed to do, and the users are in there. I made sure none of the SMS or SCCM accounts are locked.

I have read over several recommendations and I have done a “site reset”, reinstalled the “SMS Provider”, as I did not do the install and don’t know a ton about it these appear to me to be the same process I did notice this second time that the following two items at the end showed as “not started”

Reset permissions for CongfigMgr related directories

Verify permissions for ConfigMgr related directories

I found this as a possible solution – ran it and the screen just went away, not sure if I should try the recompile or not

For troubleshooting this issue

•          Go to start ->run -> Wbemtest
    •          Cick to Connect to root\sms --> Enum Classes-->Select recursive- -->Select
      SMS_ProviderLocation () Click on instances
    •          In case you find that there was no entry for this, Please re-compile smsprov.mof using the command mofcomp smsprov.mof

Note: if mofcomp has to run the path needs to be set to C:\Windows\System32\wbem. SMSprov.mof will be inside the bin folder where you had installed the SCCM \program files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\i386

Here is an excerpt from the SMSAdminUI.log which seems almost exactly like some I have seen on line giving the “DCOM permission” fix and that is not working.

Is there another place the DCOM permissions could be messed up?

[9][10/25/2012 9:04:34 AM] :Insufficient privilege to connect, error: 'Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))'\r\nSystem.UnauthorizedAccessException\r\nAccess is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))\r\n  at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)

at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()

at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()

at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)\r\n

[9][10/25/2012 9:04:34 AM] :Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.SmsConnectionException\r\nThe ConfigMgr Administrator console could not connect to the ConfigMgr site database. Verify your user has read permissions to the ConfigMgr site and then try to connect again.

\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.BuildTreeWorker()\r\nAccess is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

\r\nSystem.UnauthorizedAccessException\r\nAccess is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))\r\n   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)

at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()

at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()

at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.Connect(String configMgrServerPath)

at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)\r\n

[3][10/25/2012 9:04:37 AM] :Failure while loading required 'WQL' query engine, console cannot connect

connect

יום שישי 26 אוקטובר 2012 11:43
  • OK don't know if I just missed this the first million times I was going through this but this was the problem

launch dcomcnfg and verify that “enable distributed com on this computer” is checked

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי Liesa123 יום רביעי 07 נובמבר 2012 15:42
    יום רביעי 07 נובמבר 2012 15:42
  • - Confirm that your useraccount is in both the local "SMSAdmins" group, and the local "Distributed COM" group on that server.  See if that's enough for the remote console.  If not... then...

Thank you Sherry! fixed it for me!

יום חמישי 24 מאי 2018 10:35