none
HGS OS Requirements

שאלה

• Hello!

I have a test question that asks to what Windows editions you can deploy Host Guardian service. The answers are 1) Nano 2) Core 3) Standard 4) Datacenter.

The correct answer is 3 and 4 that corresponds to this article:

But this one recommends Windows Server Core edition:

So which artcle is correct???

Thank you in advance,
    Michael

• נערך על-ידי MF47 יום חמישי 17 מאי 2018 10:35
    יום חמישי 17 מאי 2018 10:34

כל התגובות

• There are really only two editions of Windows Server 2016: Standard and Datacenter.

The prerequisites article that you quote indicates that both are supported for Host Guardian Service. This is confirmed here.

Server Core or Nano are not editions.

From the blog, I would assume that Server Core is recommended because of the generally smaller attack surface. You can deploy Server Core with either Standard or Datacenter editons

I do not know if Nano is supported for Host Guardian Service, but I doubt it. It looks like only a few roles are supported in Nano.

Thomas

• נערך על-ידי ThomasIsr יום ראשון 10 יוני 2018 12:01
    • הוצע כתשובה על-ידי ThomasIsr יום ראשון 10 יוני 2018 12:01
    יום שלישי 05 יוני 2018 12:03
  • "

The prerequisites article that you quote indicates that both are supported for Host Guardian Service. This is confirmed here.

Server Core or Nano are not editions.

" - agree, I've formulated the question in the wrong way: my test questions (the answers to them) clearly state the HGS can be installed only to the full Windows Server 2016 (Standard or Datacenter), that's why this blog has suprised me greatly...
    יום שלישי 05 יוני 2018 15:17
  • I am confused. Where exactly does it say that "HGS can be installed only to the full Windows Server 2016 "? Please reference the source.
    יום שלישי 05 יוני 2018 15:36
  • By the way, reading the "main" article on the HGS prerequisites does not help in answering  the questions like

You want to minimize the attack surface... Wich image can be used to deploy HGS service:

1) Windows Server 2016 Standard/nano
    2) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter/core
    3) Windows Server 2016 Standard Full Installation
    4) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter/nano

From what document may I know whether HGS service is supported on nano/core editions?

Regards,
    Michael

יום רביעי 20 יוני 2018 15:53
  • Again: Server Core is not a separate edition from Standard and Datacenter.

You can deploy either Standard or Datacenter as Server Core. 

HGS is supported on Server Core.

You can do all of these:

Standard / Full GUI

Standard / Server Core

Datacenter / Full GUI

Datacenter / Server Core

I doubt that you can do Nano. HGS is not mentioned anywhere in the list of supported roles for nano, which I quoted previously.

יום רביעי 20 יוני 2018 18:00
  • "Again: Server Core is not a separate edition from Standard and Datacenter." - yes, I know.

My question sterms from the two facts:

1) I've never seen information regarding HGS on nano so I can't answer this question

2) The correct answer in my test is 3.

Regards,
    Michael

יום חמישי 21 יוני 2018 11:05