none
Intermittent VPN Connections RRS feed

• שאלה

• Hi

I have a VPN server running Server 2012 with VPN and NPS configured. I have inherited this system and have an intermittent issue where sometimes VPN connects and other times it doesn't. Recently i decommissioned and old DC, so wondering if this could be related.

Can someone point me in the direction of where to start looking at this issue.

Thanks

Shane

יום שלישי 30 אוקטובר 2018 11:22

תשובות

• This issue turned out to be a Windows 10 bug when connecting to VPN in the notification area on Windows. If you use the start menu and search for VPN, then it connects every time.

Thanks

Shane

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי Shane W יום שני 15 יולי 2019 15:36
    יום שני 15 יולי 2019 15:36

כל התגובות

• Hi,

what was the error message when the problem occurred, both on client and VPN server.

Make sure your network connection is in good condition. 

Have you checked the DC performance after you decommissioned the old DC.

Best regards,

Travis

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

יום רביעי 31 אוקטובר 2018 03:23
    מנחה דיון
  • In server 2012 RRAS role has its logs in event viewer, track RemoteAccess events.

In client side, there is always logs available in event viewer, probably RemoteAccessClient or RemoteClient.

MCSE Mobility 2018. Expert on SCCM, Windows 10 and MBAM.

• הוצע כתשובה על-ידי yannara יום שני 05 נובמבר 2018 05:46
    • הצעה כתשובה בוטלה על-ידי Shane W יום שישי 01 מרץ 2019 13:46
    יום חמישי 01 נובמבר 2018 10:51
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Travis

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

יום שישי 02 נובמבר 2018 09:37
    מנחה דיון
  • Hi

Thanks for the replies. Apologies for the delay, the issue went away so i was working on other things. 

So the issue returned, only affecting two people, 7 other people were connected and working over VPN when this happens. This has always been the case, a number of people are connected fine with only a few affected.

Below is an error found on the server

Any ideas?

CoId={C735926C-4A98-4DAD-BE61-598EB35076FF}: The user connected to port VPN3-126 has been disconnected because the authentication process did not complete within the required amount of time.

יום שלישי 20 נובמבר 2018 13:55
  • My first bet is, that user or computer certificate is missing, out dated or some other problem with certs.

יום שלישי 20 נובמבר 2018 15:25
  • Ive never used a windows VPN server before. If it was a cert out of date or missing, would it not work at all for all users? or would this cause intermittent issues?

Where do i check what cert its using?

Thanks

Shane

• הוצע כתשובה על-ידי yannara יום שלישי 20 נובמבר 2018 15:53
    • הצעה כתשובה בוטלה על-ידי yannara יום שלישי 20 נובמבר 2018 15:53
    יום שלישי 20 נובמבר 2018 15:39
  • I ment certs which are enrolled to machines and users. Not a server cert. In my test lab, I already witnessed some scenarios, where VPN connection can't be established because EAP auth errors, and by deleting and re-enrolling the same cert from CA, problem is solved.

יום שלישי 20 נובמבר 2018 15:54
  • OK, i will investigate this. Thanks for the advice.

I have just noticed the below on the client in event viewer.

יום שלישי 20 נובמבר 2018 16:43
  • Your VPN server should be enrolled with Web Cert which has that public vpn.service.domain adress registered. But I guess you already done it, if it works for main of the client amount.

Probably those single clients has wrong certs, or too much certs in local store...?

יום שלישי 20 נובמבר 2018 17:07
  • This issue turned out to be a Windows 10 bug when connecting to VPN in the notification area on Windows. If you use the start menu and search for VPN, then it connects every time.

Thanks

Shane

• סומן כתשובה על-ידי Shane W יום שני 15 יולי 2019 15:36
    יום שני 15 יולי 2019 15:36
  • Hi,

Good to hear that you have solved this issue by yourself. In addition, thanks for sharing your solution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,

Travis

יום שלישי 16 יולי 2019 05:56
    מנחה דיון