none
SQL 2005 SP2 Mixed mode Authentication for SCCM 2007 RRS feed

• שאלה

•  

We had planned on using a separate SQL 2005 SP2 server for our SCCM 2007 database.  When we run the prereq tool on the SCCM server we receive the following message:

The SQL Server name specified is configured for SQL authentication security. It is recommended to configure the SQL Server to operate only  in Windows authentication security before continuing Configuration Manager Setup.

My question is:  Can the SCCM 2007 database work on a SQL 2007 SP2 installation with mixed mode authentication?  Is this supported and are there any issues?

Thanks, Brit 

יום שני 10 מרץ 2008 21:26

תשובות

•  

We only recommend configuring the SQL Server for Windows Authentication as a best practice, but don't require it. SCCM 2007 will only use Windows Authentication. There's lots of articles and blogs on this topic (SQL auth vs. Windows auth). So yes, you can use SQL 2007 running in mixed mode.
    יום שלישי 11 מרץ 2008 01:37

כל התגובות

•  

We only recommend configuring the SQL Server for Windows Authentication as a best practice, but don't require it. SCCM 2007 will only use Windows Authentication. There's lots of articles and blogs on this topic (SQL auth vs. Windows auth). So yes, you can use SQL 2007 running in mixed mode.
    יום שלישי 11 מרץ 2008 01:37
  • I have tryed to installing SCCM in a SQL 2005 sp2 database running in mixed security mode and when the installation comes to installing the "SMS Provider component", it fails.

Logfile shows

SQL Connection attempt timed out
    SQL Error: [28000][18456][Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

On the SQL server i get

Source: MSSQLSERVER

Event ID: 18456

User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON

Description: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'. [CLIENT: 192.168.100.40]

Do you have any links to the blogs, and articles you mentioned, that have discusses this subject. ?

As far as i can see SCCM creates a ODBC connection to the database, but it looks like it authenticates is self as anonymous as soon as it detect that the database is running mixed mode, is there any way of controling this ? 

יום רביעי 12 נובמבר 2008 23:14
  •  Spiff_21 wrote:
    Do you have any links to the blogs, and articles you mentioned, that have discusses this subject. ?

Sure. It's been discussed numerous times here in the forums. There even is a search function ;o)

Is it a remote SQL server? If so, check the SPN settings and if the computeraccount of your ConfigMgr server is part of the local admins group.

יום רביעי 12 נובמבר 2008 23:46
    מנחה דיון
  • I hav now ruled the Mixed mode security out of the equation by switching back to normal, and i still have the problem. so the the problem is not the Mixed mode.

I have checked the computeraccount of the sccm server is menber of administators on the database server.

the SQL service is running under Local System, but as far as i know this is normal and should not be a problem.

Thanks anyway.

יום חמישי 13 נובמבר 2008 00:08
  • I have now found the solution. another service account had also set the SPN for the server. Problem fixed

יום חמישי 27 נובמבר 2008 17:09