none
How to rename an .ost file

Pertanyaan

• I recently upgraded from Office 2010 to 2016.  Not knowing I needed to, I didn't delete the .ost files when I did so.  When I opened Outlook, it saw the existing .ost files, and created new ones with the same name, but with "(2)" added to the end of the name.  This drives me absolutely batty, especially when the .nst files for those accounts still have the regular name without the "(2)".  Simple solution, I would assume, would be to delete the .ost files (both the old and new), and let Outlook recreate.  But when it does, it continues to add the "(2)" to the name.  If you attempt to rename the file from the Data Files dialogue or from the Email accounts dialogues, the filename is greyed out, the Browse button is deprecated, etc.  Turning off Cached Exchange mode further greys out the Outlook Data File Settings button.  No matter what I do, the file keeps getting recreated with the "(2)" added.

Creating a new profile would be one solution, but that approach blasts hours, and hours, and hours of Outlook settings that I don't care to recreate.

Now, the fact that Outlook is remembering this file name even when the file is deleted tells me that it has to be stored somewhere, which tells me there SHOULD be a registry setting.  Unfortunately, I can't find it.

Any ideas?

03 Mei 2018 5:33

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

Normally, there is no option to rename .ost files. For .ost files, we usually delete it and create a new one.

Do you delete the ost file when Outlook is running? Please refer to the following steps to see if it is helpful to you.

1. Go to File > Account Settings > Account settings.

2. Double click your Exchange account and uncheck "Use Cached Exchange Mode".

3. Restart Outlook.

4. Close Outlook. 

5. Delete your ost file and then restart Outlook again to check the result.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

04 Mei 2018 5:34
  • The ost-file is merely a cache, so why do you care so much what it is named?

Anyway, the process to rename it is similar to change its location only that instead of moving it, you rename it.

See: Move the ost-file to another disk or folder location

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info

04 Mei 2018 8:45
  • OST file is just an offline data of your Outlook and the name of OST file is the emails address you are using in Outlook. You just can't simply rename it.
    05 Mei 2018 7:29
  • Hi,

Just to check whether the replies above is helpful to you.

Please feel free to tell me if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

07 Mei 2018 1:10
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. If the above information was helpful, could you please help mark it as answer so it will be easy for other forum members who might have similar issues to find the useful one?

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

15 Mei 2018 6:28
  • Hi,

I found a very useful article which might help you. The below is a document with step by step guide which describes how to rename and recreate OST file in Outlook . 

https://blog.systoolsgroup.com/change-ost-file-name/

15 Juni 2018 6:19