none
Hyper-V Replication Issue 2012 R2 - Happens with large backlog of data

Pertanyaan

• We have a 2012 R2 Hyper-V Failover Cluster with Replica's to another 2012 R2 Failover Cluster.    Everything works as expected for the most part, we have over 100 VM's replicating and no issues starting the initial replication to completion.   BUT, we had 1, now 2 VMs which are having some weirdness.   Their replication will just stop working with a generic "One or more arguments are invalid (0x80070057)" Error.   It will always be 3 events in succession, Hyper-V-VMMS Errors 33680, 32086 and 32022.

I've narrowed down the specific circumstances of the issue, just not why it's doing it.   It happens whenever a VM happens to get a significant backlog of data due to a lot of changes happening all at once.  For one of the VMs (the first one that's been happening for quite a while and we've just lived with it), when it happened it was always at the start of the week right when the server started doing it's De-duplication job (on the VM, not the host), so this caused a lot of changes to occur quickly.   The other server just started happening everyday after a backup job writes about 600GB of data to it.   Usually when I go to resume the replication, it kicks it off again and works fine, though I've had occasions I've had to do it twice.     I'll go look at the HRL files on the host when this happens, usually they are 100-200 GB in size, and sometimes multiple files even just sitting there waiting (split into the 15 minute increments of time for the replication).   Again, it usually resumes fine as well.  It's not really a performance issue, as the system is able to finish the process when resumed.

I'm going to try setting the replication period to just 5 minutes and see if that changes anything, maybe it'll make the HRL files smaller so it won't get hung-up, but I wanted to post this for others who may have ran into the issue and found a fix.

Thanks for your time!

16 Mei 2018 18:49

Semua Balasan

• Hi

Thanks for your question.

Based on the complexity and the specific situation, we need do more researches. If we have any updates or any thoughts about this issue, we will keep you posted as soon as possible. Your kind understanding is appreciated. If you have further information during this period, you could post it on the forum, which help us understand and analyze this issue comprehensively.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding and patience.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

17 Mei 2018 10:51
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

For the current problem, would you please check the information below?

1.Do we have enough space on both primary and replica host?

2.Please check the sufficient bandwidth to replicate those changes. It is important to provide sufficient bandwidth to replica changes.

3.Please refer the article below to monitor those changes: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/virtualization/2014/02/02/hyper-v-replica-debugging-why-are-very-large-log-files-generated/

If there is any question, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

21 Mei 2018 10:43