none
Windows 7 Startup Problem

Pertanyaan

• Hi All,

I am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit desktop<o:p></o:p>

I bought the desktop PC several years ago and since from several month ago, almost every day when I started my PC in the early morning, my PC will run into startup repair section wanted to check system problem. 

Sometimes it needed to hard reboot it several times until i could successfully log into it. Once it was able to log into Windows, everything run so fine and even I tried to soft reboot it several time also no problem. But when the next morning I started on the PC again, the problem would come back again and I re-did the same routine in order to get log in my PC.

I had tried to scan the hard disk with cmd command like chkdsk /r /f and its result detected was 0 bad sector, and tried to check the windows resource protection with sfc /scannow command and the result was Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations. I also had used the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to the check the main memory and it was fine also. Used Windows Startup Repair option to check the problem and the result was Startup Repair could not detect a problem.<o:p></o:p>

I also had changed my PSU to a new one but also no avail. I also had entered my bios to read the PC health status and everything was fine there.

I have no idea what is wrong with my desktop, every morning, it was very difficult to start up but once it was able to log in, everything will be fine.<o:p></o:p>

But today I accessed my disk management section and I found some dubious about my PC got two internal hard disks which are

Disk 0 and Disk 1

Where disk 0 got volume C & D and disk 1 got volume F & G

in Volume C the status is Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) 

<o:p>in Volume F, it shows the status is Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)</o:p>

But when i went to open my Computer ICON on desktop there and checked the C:\Windows folder, the folder got the following

System32 folder        Date Modified 23/04/2018 

SysWOW64 folder      Date Modified 18/04/2018

and in the drive F:\Windows folder got the following

System32 folder         Date Modified 05/05/2015

Since Volume F is the active partition, does this matter could cause problem to the startup matter.

Your advice is highly appreciated by me.

Thank you.

<o:p></o:p>

23 April 2018 3:43

Semua Balasan

• Open Command Prompt as Admin and type :

sfc /scannow and press Enter key.

If the above doesn't help then try a repair install.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

23 April 2018 22:21
  • Hi,

If you shutdown accidentally, it is possible that bring you to the repair screen.

Have you used dual systems? What if you choose normal boot mode? Make sure that the os is selected as the boot partition.

The error has been known to occur as a result of one or more of the following:

damaged or corrupted BCD settings, corrupted boot partition...

Here are some methods:

1.Go to BIOS and update it. Make sure your os is the first boot option in Bios

2.Change ATA hard drive setting to legacy in Bios.

3.Rebuild the bcd. 

Step1:Insert your Windows installation DVD into your PC’s CD-ROM drive,

Step2:Press any key when you see “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD..”

Step3:Click the link titled “Repair your computer” in the bottom-lefthand corner, after first selecting your language and keyboard options.Wait for Startup Repair to scan your PC for Windows installations, then select your install from the list it shows:

Step4:Choose “Command Prompt” from the list of available recovery options to begin:

Once the command line has launched, type in the following commands in the Command Prompt and hit Enter after each command:

bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old bootrec /rebuildbcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

If nothing helps, it is suggested that you can perform a in-place upgrade to fix the boot issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2255099/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-on-windows-vista-windows-7-windows

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

24 April 2018 3:08
  • 1) What is the status of the files on the computer?

2) Had you backed up important files?

3) Had you made a backup image?

4) Are you able to open file explorer and view the drives?

5) If you needed to perform a clean install would you be able to?

6) To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

7) Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:

8) Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

9) The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

10) Then use 7zip to organize the files and one drive or drop box to place share links into the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

11) This command will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, mini dumps, drivers, hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

12) Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

13) There is 1 file for you to find manually:  
    14) In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool opens click on the next page button so that each tab is opened > click on save all information > save to desktop > post one drive or drop box share link into the thread

15) Open disk management > widen each of these columns:  Status and Volume > make sure that the contents of each row are not cut off and that all letters are in full view > make an image with the snipping tool > post a one drive or drop box share link into the thread.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2503-disk-management-how-post-screenshot.html

16) Download and install:  Minitool Partition wizard:  

http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Free-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html

17) Use the snipping tool to make an image > post the image into the thread using a one drive or drop box share link

Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

24 April 2018 6:54
  • If you have any problems, please feel free to contact me.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

25 April 2018 8:42
  • Hi Vivian_Zhou

I don't know whether I did the right action or not, My PC got two internal hard disk label as disk 0 and disk 1

Where disk 0 it has drive C: & drive D: and the status for drive C: is Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) where drive D is just (Primary Partition)

and in disk 1 it has drive F: & drive G: and I found that the status for drive F: is Healthy (Active, Primary Partition) while drive G: (Primary Partition)

And when I went to see my drive C:\Windows folder inside the Computer Icon, I noticed that it has System32 & SysWOW64 folders there on latest date

While i opened the drive F: folder, it also has Windows and inside it also System32 folder there but the date modified is 05/05/2015.(Meaning to say it is intact). But since disk 1 drive F: was indicated as Active, does it means it is considered as System Partition and BIOS is wrongly searching for the bootmanager in drive F: there.

I have thought to rebuild my BCD or the set my drive C: as active, Do you think it is alright to do so?

Thank you for your advice

KM Chin 

25 April 2018 14:29
  • Hi S.Sengupta

I have run these commands sfc /scannow before and chkdsk -r -f even System Repair as well and all the results have shown my PC is no problem. 

I don't know whether I did the right action or not, My PC got two internal hard disk label as disk 0 and disk 1

Where disk 0 it has drive C: & drive D: and the status for drive C: is Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) where drive D is just (Primary Partition)

and in disk 1 it has drive F: & drive G: and I found that the status for drive F: is Healthy (Active, Primary Partition) while drive G: (Primary Partition)

And when I went to see my drive C:\Windows folder inside the Computer Icon, I noticed that it has System32 & SysWOW64 folders there on latest date

While i opened the drive F: folder, it also has Windows and inside it also System32 folder there but the date modified is 05/05/2015.(Meaning to say it is intact). But since disk 1 drive F: was indicated as Active, does it means it is considered as System Partition and BIOS is wrongly searching for the bootmanager in drive F: there.

I have thought to rebuild my BCD or the set my drive C: as active, Do you think it is alright to do so?

Thank you for your advice

KM Chin 

25 April 2018 14:36
  • Hi, 

1) What is the status of the files on the computer?

ans:- Once i able to log in the System, everything will run fine.

2) Had you backed up important files?

ans:- I did.

3) Had you made a backup image?

ans:- No

4) Are you able to open file explorer and view the drives?

ans:- Yes, I can

5) If you needed to perform a clean install would you be able to?

ans:- Yes, I can do it

6) To evaluate the computer environment please post logs for troubleshooting.

ans:- How do I evaluate the computer environment, I don't understand your meaning.7) Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:ans:- What command should i use because i don't see any command there.

8) Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

ans:- default language is English

9-17) I haven't run your instruction yet but i will do it later

thank you a lot of your helps.

KM Chin 

26 April 2018 1:24
  • Hi KM,

Thanks for your reply.

Here are some concerns:

1. Have you set up your system on F drive previously? Or have you copied the Windows folder to F drive?

2.Any other folder exist in F drive , like Program Files,Users?

3. Are there any option you can Continue to boot normally instead of repeat restarting.

The reason why you always boot to recovery mode is something wrong with the boot file. Or because the accidently shutdown, like you unplug the power. And from your description, although the F drive is Active but it can't be boot into. Otherwise, you have to choose where to boot instead of booting into Recovery mode.

Recommend you to repair the bcd first , below is the command:

bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup
    attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /scanos

In addition, you can boot into Winre and run the sfc /scannow offline

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\  /offwindir=d:\windows

26 April 2018 1:37
  • If it can help, good luck.

If it can't help, try to perform an in-place upgrade or clean install of you system after you back up important files.

Thank you for your time

26 April 2018 1:38
  • In the latest post you indicated that you can logon, open file explorer, and perform a clean install.

All of these provide many backup options:

1) system restore

2) startup repair

3) reset with save or remove files

4) in place upgrade repair

5) clean install

6) repair using safe mode with command prompt

7) repair using command prompt

etc.

When available please post the results of steps 7 - 17.

26 April 2018 8:37