none
Session IDs not being released

Pertanyaan

• Hi,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to assist with this issue.

We are running several Windows Server 2008 R2 servers with RDS.  The issue we are having is that when a user logs off the server it is not releasing the SessionID.  Upon investigation I have found that for each of the session you see one or more svchost.exe process handles that have not been released

If I manually remove these processes it will release and reuse the session ID as expected.

(to remove I run handle -c xxxx -y -p pid - ie handle -c 1704 -y -p 1388)

Need to find a way to automate removing these process handles so that the SessionIDs are released and reused properly as these sessions are preventing other system resources from being released and causing other major issues for us.

I would note that a reboot releases all the SessionIDs but as soon as you log on and off the process starts all over again.

Thanks again for taking the time to review this and for any assistance provided.

Ryan

Jumat, 09 Maret 2018 22.22

Semua Balasan

• Hi Ryan,

To start, please determine which specific service is holding the handles.  If the svchost contains multiple shared services I would recommend you set all of the sub-services that are part of the "problem" svchost group to run isolated and restart the server so that it is easier to determine which one is involved.  You may do this using sc config commands in admin command prompt, similar to below example:

sc config UmRdpService type= own

You can view the group memership using Task Manager Services tab.

Thanks.

-TP

Sabtu, 10 Maret 2018 17.03
  • Hi TP,

I did what you suggested and it appears that the problematic service is wuauserv. Now need to figure out why it refuses to clean up the handle when the user logs off.  

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Minggu, 11 Maret 2018 19.29
  • Hi Ryan,

Did you ever find or receive a fix for this problem? I'm experiencing the same thing.

Thanks,

Bill

Kamis, 12 Juli 2018 21.28