none
Outlook 2016 flickering (Office 365)

Pertanyaan

• I have a strange issue where one user is complaining that his Outlook will start flickering on occasion. Seems to happen randomly. I've uploaded a clip below of the issue:

https://drive.google.com/a/cubexgroup.com/file/d/0B5_Ri3eDovkWNWlfMTU4RFFaREE/view?usp=sharing

So far nothing I have done has resolved it. Steps <g class="gr_ gr_35 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="35" id="35">taken</g>:

• Disable all un-necessary outlook add-ins. He doesn't want to run in safe mode for a few days so that's the best I can do.
    • Did a full online Office 365 apps repair via control panel
    • Set him up with a new Outlook profile
    • Made sure his Office 2016 was up to date.

Anyone see this before?

Kamis, 21 September 2017 15.35

Semua Balasan

• Hi pstoric,

I tried to open the link you shared above, but it requires permission. If possible, could you please share a new link or using OneDrive then our community members can have the access to view the file?

Does the issue only occur to Outlook?
    What's the version of the Windows system?

Based on my experience, I'd like to recommend trying the safe mode at the user's convenience to help troubleshoot the problem.

Besides, it is also suggested to select the Disable hardware graphics acceleration via File > Options > Advanced and see if there will be any improvement:

Any findings, please post back at ease.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jumat, 22 September 2017 05.23
  • Sorry about the link. I just made it public. As for the hardware acceleration, I disabled that last week and it’s still occurring

Jumat, 22 September 2017 14.21
  • Hi pstoric,

Thanks for the update. 

Does this problem affect other applications or programs?
    What's the version of the Windows system.

Please try to check the video driver and make sure it is the latest version from the manufacturer's website.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Senin, 25 September 2017 09.24
  • Seem to only happen to his Outlook app and the video driver is the most recent already. I updated them as the first part in troubleshooting this issue. His operating system is Windows 7
    Senin, 25 September 2017 14.42
  • Hi pstoric,

How about trying to perform a clean boot in Windows, then have a try and see if issue persists? 

This helps eliminate whether the issue was caused by any software conflicts.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Selasa, 26 September 2017 06.06
  • Hi Yuki,

It seems like the issue cannot be solved with "Disable hardware graphics acceleration".

I am an IT support of a company with around 3000+ workstations.

Some of the workstations are having the exactly same issue as Pstoris's case after we migrated from Office 2010 to Office 2016 in Oct this year.

And the issue spreads on different computer models and 90% of them are running Windows 7 32 bits with 4GB ram (CPU depends on different computer models, but most likely i5) .

I will say it is hard to preform a clean boot to check for the issue because as Pstoris said, the issue is only happens randomly and there is no way for you to catch it unless you are the end user.

Regards,

Pasumau

Senin, 06 November 2017 08.26
  • Just an update. The user who was having it occur most frequently had over 100k Inbox items and for Outlook 2016 that's over the performance limit. Last week I enabled the <g class="gr_ gr_246 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="246" id="246">1 year</g> retention policy and now he's down to about 60k Inbox items. Not sure if that will resolve it but I'll have to wait and see. I'll post back in a week or so to do another update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2768656/outlook-performance-issues-when-there-are-too-many-items-or-folders-in

Senin, 06 November 2017 14.45
  • Has anyone made any progress on this issue?  We are seeing this on multiple Windows 10 Office 2016 machines. There is no correlation with number of folders \ emails, the issue appears most often when replying to an email, but not always.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jumat, 17 November 2017 14.57
  • It seems like MS has no solution for this issue yet.

We have not got any feedback from Yuki since her last reply.

Senin, 20 November 2017 08.23
  • Same  issue with our users. Seems to have started recently. Updated to the newest Office 365 update, but still no luck fixing. Seems like a memory leak. 

Using Windows 7 and 10.

Office 365 Pro Plus 1705 Build 8201.2209

Rabu, 06 Desember 2017 21.46
  • Hello everybody,

I have a user in the company using windows 10 and office 2016 and the same issue.

Does any solution for this issue??

Hello pstoric,

Does it caused by over the performance limit??

Thanks in advance!!

Jumat, 08 Desember 2017 05.54
  • We got exactly same issue with windows 10 Outlook 2016 16.0.4591.1000

Does anyone has solution on that?

Senin, 11 Desember 2017 09.02
  • Just adding another instance - this issue started happening for our users around 2-3 weeks ago. It's affecting both Windows 7 and Windows 10, all running Office 2016 Click-to-Run, and most on disparate hardware so I don't think it's a driver issue.

We opened a case with Office 365 tech support and one bit of advice they suggested just for troubleshooting was to try the 64-bit version of Office. We've re-installed one user with 64-bit and so far the problem hasn't recurred for her, but it's only been about a half day, so too soon to tell.

• Diedit oleh WelchPM1 Senin, 11 Desember 2017 22.50
    Senin, 11 Desember 2017 22.49
  • The computer which I am facing this issue is 32-bits version office
    Selasa, 12 Desember 2017 01.23
  • I am having the same problem on a Surface Pro (2017), with 16 gig Ram run Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 build 16299.125.  Not only does it flicker, but then pieces of the User Interface disappear.  This seems to particularly manifest itself when trying to attach a file.  The Explorer window for the attachment becomes unreadable.  If anyone comes up with a fix, please post it.  I may try a clean install with the 64 bit version.  Currently running Office 365 Pro Plus version 1708 build 8431.2131.  The issue is intermittent, so it is difficult to repeat for technical support help. 
    Senin, 18 Desember 2017 12.36
  • My office has been seeing this issue for months, opened a ticket with MS as a result and did a lot of testing and a lot of troubleshooting. **Running office 2016 32 bit on win 7

- Disabled hardware acceleration

- Ran O365 diagnostic tools - sent logs back for analyzing

- Updated video card drivers - All newer Nvidia cards

- Updated windows

- Ran Outlook in safe mode - No result because end users need full functionality

- Changed "OfficeBackgroundtaskHadlnerLogon" and "OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration" in the Task scheduler to run under the user "SYSTEM" instead of as the logged on user and it seems to resolve it, until O365 updated and reverts the changes.

- Switched update channels from deferred to current because MS figured we were not getting the most recent patch releases but this also converts back to deferred automatically after updates are run.

Continuing to see this issue will less users now but still it is an problem.

• Diedit oleh SPC717 Selasa, 19 Desember 2017 15.01 added specs
    Selasa, 19 Desember 2017 14.58
  • Hi,

Just posting to flag that I too have this issue. Surface Pro, Windows 10 Pro (64), Outlook 2016 (V1705, build 8201.2213), Office 365 (E3); using Surface Pro + 2 x external monitors.

Would be great to know what the issue is. It hasn't affected any other program,just Outlook 2016.

Thanks

Alistair

Senin, 08 Januari 2018 18.13
  • Same behavior here and that video is what I get on almost a daily basis.

Close/reopen Outlook is the only band aid.

Anyone else?

- What add-ins are you running? (Here is a screenshot of my Outlook 2016 - 1708 Build 8431.2131)
    Rabu, 10 Januari 2018 12.02
  • We experience it as well. Very tricky to troubleshoot and running out of ideas. We have 70 identical laptops, with same (user)setup - and yet some has the issue, others not. I have tried disabling all COM add-ins - no difference.

Has anyone tried fiddling with the screen-resolution / scaling? 

Rabu, 10 Januari 2018 15.21
  • I have a same issue that Outlook start flickering.

I noticed that if this seems to happen Outlook is full screen mode.  If I reduce the size of Outlook, flickering stopped.

I've tried changing the resolution of screen to see if there is any relationship with resolution but seems not.

It looks like Outlook flickers in Full screen mode only.  I cannot solve this issue yet but can continue with Outlook by making it not full screen mode.

Can you possibly find solution for this issue from above symptom?

Kamis, 11 Januari 2018 04.01
  • Same issue and have tried turning off Hardware Graphics Acceleration, disabling various add-ins, and updating the graphics driver all to no avail. Microsoft, please fix this.
    Jumat, 12 Januari 2018 21.16
  • Same as jpyasuit, it only happens in full screen mode. I need to restart Outlook 5 times a day. Very annoying.

lmichon127

Sabtu, 13 Januari 2018 16.08
  • Same here. Been happening for a few months. Restarting 6 times a day is the only option. I've done all the fixes recommended here. I've had 100k+ inbox message for years so I know that's not a factor (I use flags only). It's definitely code/patch related. I've lived in Outlook daily for... far too many years.

Steve

• Diedit oleh shhoward Sabtu, 13 Januari 2018 22.08
    Sabtu, 13 Januari 2018 22.07
  • This might sound stupid

But when i right click on my email address on the left panel and select 'Sort Subfolders A to Z', the flickering stops

Senin, 15 Januari 2018 02.01
  • This might sound stupid

But when i right click on my email address on the left panel and select 'Sort Subfolders A to Z', the flickering stops

Senin, 15 Januari 2018 02.02
  • For how long does the sort Subfolders work for?  Can anyone tell me if having the the Scale and layout for display settings makes a difference?  I am currently testing this at 100%, as 125% does have issues from what I see.
    Rabu, 17 Januari 2018 19.36
  • The "Sort Subfolders A to Z" had no effect for us (it basically only stopped flashing as long as the right click menu was up), plus it happens some of the time in the Calendar, so clicking that is not even always an option.

Most of our users are at 100% scaling and we have definitely seen it at that factor, as well as 125%.

Jumat, 19 Januari 2018 12.51
  • Many of our users are experiencing this issue as well running Outlook 2016 16.0.4639.1000 32-bit and Windows 10 Pro v1709 on Dell OptiPlex 3040s.  We tried swapping in a new video card in case it was a driver issue but without success.  The only fix has been to close Outlook and re-open multiple times daily.
    Jumat, 19 Januari 2018 20.53
  • Yes, I have found out the scaling does not have any correlation to it as well.  We are also on windows 10 version 1709, we are on 1708 of Office 365 - Outlook 2016 16.0.8431.2110 32 bit.  This is happening to our Optiplex's 7050, as well as XPS 13, and Latitude 7460.  

Senin, 22 Januari 2018 14.43
  • Hi, everyone having this issue has Intel HD graphics controllers?  I am trying something else by going into power options, Advanced Power options, and Intel has its own header, I am going to try to  set it to high performance rather then balanced.
    Selasa, 23 Januari 2018 16.58
  • Intel HD 530 for one of our users, I just set it to high performance, let see what it does. I already did the Disable hardware acceleration and full office repair before to no effect. Looks like a graphics bug. Would MS please release an update to fix the last update, like they usually do...

Thread been open since September and still no resolution. 

Rabu, 24 Januari 2018 09.34
  • Have been seeing this on several Surface Pro 4 8Gb 256Gb Win 10 latest release of all OS, O365, Dynamics updates. Have disabled plug ins, re created profiles and followed all possible solutions. Agree that this needs resolving by MS, seems to be graphics issue and been on-going for moths. 
    Rabu, 24 Januari 2018 12.17
  • We have the Intel-specific power setting in our power plan set to Maximum Performance, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

In our case at least, while the flickering/flashing is occurring, Outlook.exe CPU usage is elevated (~15-20% on a quad-core). Is anyone else seeing that?

Rabu, 24 Januari 2018 13.03
  • I do see elevated CPU usage, I7-7700.  What about common add-ons for everybody?  I have Evernote, Box for office, ESET and Mimecast.  I haven't tried running in safe-mode all day to see if it fixes it yet.
    Rabu, 24 Januari 2018 14.18
  • In our org, we have Mimecast, as well as several others - Enterprise Vault, iManage FileSite, Nuance PowerPDF, Paynegroup Metadata Assistant. Disabling Mimecast has reduced or eliminated the problem for a lot of our affected users, but has not had a significant effect for others. We can't run without FileSite enabled for very long since it is business critical for us, but we have ruled out all of the others.

Given the variety of add-ons mentioned in this thread, it seems like some might exacerbate the problem, but there are a few people who have said they are running no add-ons or only the in-box Office 2016 add-ons.

Anyone have good enough level support with MS that they will look at a dump file taken when Outlook is flashing? The CPU is doing SOMETHING strange while it's happening, so I would think that would be a good place to start analysis.

Rabu, 24 Januari 2018 14.59
  • Having this issue with Office 2013 here with a few users - also use Mimecast.  I'll have to try it with it disabled and see if that helps matters.
    Rabu, 24 Januari 2018 15.07
  • We have the same problem, since moving to 365 (Office 2013 32bit) many cloud users have the same problem.

I found resizing the window to not be full screen and turning OFF the preview pane stops the problem, but users don't want to work that way.

Also logged a ticket with Ms and they suggested all the above which doesn't solve the problem. 

Re-installing office works for 2-3 weeks then it starts again.

Rabu, 24 Januari 2018 15.12
  • Setting the intel power settings to high performance didn't do anything. Removed o365 and reinstalled afte reboot, let see if issue comes back. 
    Jumat, 26 Januari 2018 20.15
  • Hey, I wanted to let everyone know: 

There is a Mimecast thread in their community center about this, it looks like a Mimecast Employee posted and sounds like they accepted this to be an issue.  I am actually just removing Mimecast from my troubled users for the next few days, this issue has bombarded me these last few days.

Jumat, 26 Januari 2018 20.22
  • I am also having the issue with one User on Office 2016 and Windows 10.  He didn't have the issue when using Office 2013 but then experienced a different set of issues.  We are also using Mimecast.  I will try disabling that to see if it makes a difference.
    Jumat, 26 Januari 2018 22.12
  • I am seeing this issue as well. We running Win 7 32 bit and Office 2013 32 bit. We also have Mimecast installed. We have found that in most instances disabling Mimecast usually fixes the flashing. However, I have also seen the flashing on 4 - 5 users sessions whilst Mimecast has been disabled. Has anyone tried uninstalling the last few months Windows updates? Feel's like an update is the root cause and Mimecast is one of the main triggers.
    Minggu, 28 Januari 2018 21.32
  • We are seeing the same issue on our workstations and laptops. Two hardware types from two vendors. Same image deployed via SCCM. The issue is random and cannot be re produced. Issue started October 2017. Windows 7 x64 with Office 2013 x86. Several addins installed in Outlook. Seems to be Windows update related. Has anyone heard from Microsoft about a fix for this issue?
    Senin, 29 Januari 2018 05.11
  • Happens to me. O365 with Outlook 2016.  Using Dell Latitude 7285.  From my experiments it seems worse when operating extended screen and not duplicate screen to an external monitor...but nothing has totally resolved this from removing add-ins, new profiles, reloading Outlook or disabling graphics acceleration.

Microsoft - please fix this.

Senin, 29 Januari 2018 14.48
  • While this may or may not be Mimecast related, the fact that it keeps coming up a lot may point to it being the trigger.  I would highly recommend anyone with this problem and Mimecast to submit a support case so they can have as much information as possible.
    Senin, 29 Januari 2018 16.41
  • I'm getting the same issue with a user using Dell Lattitude 5470 Windows 7 64 bit. tried all the steps suggested but no help
    Rabu, 31 Januari 2018 05.35
  • I also have a user experiencing this issue. Windows 10, Outlook 2016 O365 32-bit. Disabling hardware graphics acceleration seems to have mitigated the problem, but it's still happening.
    Rabu, 31 Januari 2018 16.17
  • This exact same issue started happening to 3 people in our Sales department. All 3 are using Surface Book Pros and were using the 32 bit version of Office. It started happening for them shortly after doing OS updates. I've since installed the 64 bit version of Office and haven't had reports from them that it continues to happen. Been a couple weeks now.
    Rabu, 31 Januari 2018 20.00
  • We have also seen this occur for c6 months or more.  Running mimecast MSO too v7.4.2151, but recon v6 was also causing this (if it is this at fault?!)

Where is the mimecast kb article on this?

Tried enabling graphics acceleration (as we disabled this years ago for other problems)

Kamis, 01 Februari 2018 09.59
  • YES!!! Thank you. I turned off preview and now I can finally work. Thanks for posting.

Steve

Kamis, 01 Februari 2018 11.26
  • I am also reciving this exact issue on a MS Surface Book, connected to a MS Surface Dock, using MS Outlook 2016 32 bit.  This was not happenieng until the January 2018 Updates.
    Kamis, 01 Februari 2018 19.40
  • I also have this issue on Lenovo Yoga 910 and a colleague on MS Surface 4.  We too run MIMECast.  I will disable plugin and see if that resolves the issue.  I don't use preview pane.
    Jumat, 02 Februari 2018 10.36
  • Been having the same issue for some time now.  Latest today; have to restart outlook to stop it for a while.  Using a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 i5, Microsoft Windows 10 1709 fully patched, Microsoft Surface Dock, Microsoft Office 365 Click-to-Run 1708 (been happening for many updates now)..  

Logic tells me its a Microsoft Issue :)  Either, Windows, Office, Driver or combination of all three!!

It's also happening on various, Dell's, Lenovo's and the odd HP..  

Jumat, 02 Februari 2018 12.25
  • I am experiencing this same issue in my Outlook myself, i have several users who get this issue daily, we are running Windows 7 64bit and office 2016 32bit. We have Mimecaste installed but this doesn't seem to be the main contributor to the issue for use, it's mostly caused by the Virtual Cabinet COM addin, which we can't disable because its business essential. I have been trying to resolve this issues for months now and i have has endless calls with Microsoft (who are useless by the way), all to no avail, i'm at a total loss on how to resolve this issue.
    Jumat, 02 Februari 2018 15.49
  • I've also been battling this issue across my fleet of Dell Optiplexes since rolling out Office 365 Pro Plus mid-to-late last year. We're on Windows 7 64 bit with 32 bit Office dual monitors, and have Mimecast (v7.4 R1) amongst our list of Outlook add-ins. Disabling Mimecast has alleviated the issue for some users but hasn't completely stopped the flickering. Our other 3rd party add-ins are iManage FileSite and Email Management, and DocsCorp pdfDocs. Other things we have tried with limited or no success include:

• Disabling add-ins
    • Adding RAM
    • Adjusting virtual memory settings
    • Disabling hardware graphics acceleration
    • Updating graphics drivers
    • Turning off preview pane
    • Turning off all unnecessary animations
    • Rebuilding OSTs

Late last week we put a number of PCs onto the Monthly channel after which they updated to Version 1712 (Build 8827.2148). Previous to that update I could consistently trigger the flashing by selecting around 40-50 emails from the Inbox, right-clicking and selecting Open. The flickering would always start before they all opened. After the monthly update the same set of emails open just fine - no flicker. The users that I pushed the latest updates to are reporting that their Outlook has stopped flickering.

Has anyone else had any success with latest updates?

Senin, 05 Februari 2018 05.31
  • We have also seen this occur for c6 months or more.  Running mimecast MSO too v7.4.2151, but recon v6 was also causing this (if it is this at fault?!)

Where is the mimecast kb article on this?

Tried enabling graphics acceleration (as we disabled this years ago for other problems)

So mimecast saying its not their problem.  Its an outlook issue.

Improves if i have preview off and do not open emails fully.

Senin, 05 Februari 2018 14.36
  • Has anyone tried removing the Office September 2017 patches as a test? We started getting this issue in October 2017, but looking at the first post date for this thread, it obviously started before the October 2017 patches.
    • Diedit oleh Blue_Craig Senin, 05 Februari 2018 16.40
    Senin, 05 Februari 2018 16.40
  • Has anyone tried removing the Office September 2017 patches as a test? We started getting this issue in October 2017, but looking at the first post date for this thread, it obviously started before the October 2017 patches.

I have removed all of my cumulative updates on my PC which goes back to October.  The problem is I am on Windows 10 1709 - there wasnt any updates worthy for me to uninstall in September since this is when the OS came out.  I have tried mutiple versions of Office 365 older and newer on the business channel that seem to do the same.  

I hope Baracass is right and the newest version of O365 fixes it.  If so then Microsoft didnt care to announce there was a problem as people with Office 2013 even had the issue.  I can only hope the semi-annual channel gets an update released on patch Tuesday.

• Diedit oleh Exhaust Selasa, 06 Februari 2018 13.47
    Selasa, 06 Februari 2018 13.46
  • Adding to the ongoing list here of affected users.

Outlook will flash the screen continuously until I either close outlook, or close a window that belongs to outlook (if 5 are open, if I close 1, sometimes it stops flashing). If I resize the main screen - sometimes that works to stop the flashing. 

Targus Docking Station + two new 22" Element Monitors (it did it with my old HP monitors as well)

HP Elitebook G40 G3 - Intel Core i7-6600U @ 2.60 Ghz

• 16 GB
    • Intel HD Graphics 520
    • Video BIOS 1036.0
    • Driver date 7/1/2016 
    • Version 20.19.15.4483

Selasa, 06 Februari 2018 17.16
  • I just found an update for my video driver - 10/19/2017 version 21.20.16.4839

Going to try it and keep my fingers crossed.

Selasa, 06 Februari 2018 17.22
  • Also experiencing the same flickering issue since April of 2017 Running O365 Business.

-PC: HP z400/z600/z620/z640

-Video Cards: Nvidia and Matrox 

-16+GB Ram

- Dual Quad core processors

This is not a PC performance issue, it seems like a memory allocation issue within Microsoft office.

The only long term bandaid we have found is running an online repair, this will get you a 2-3 week buffer before it starts again.  We have performed every single change and update mentioned in the above thread and are still battling this for close to a year.  Multiple tickets have been opened with Microsoft and it always comes to a dead end, going to reopen the ticket but they want us to run in safemode and its just not possible over an extended period of time!

*** We also use Mimecast and this was an issue prior to install.
    • Diedit oleh SPC717 Selasa, 06 Februari 2018 22.31
    Selasa, 06 Februari 2018 22.30
  • Same issue but only if I am using my laptop display (Dell XPS 15). If I use external monitors I don't have the issue. Looking forward to MS resolving this issue.
    Win 10
    Office 2016
    Dell XPS 15

Kamis, 08 Februari 2018 16.18
  • Latest on this from Mimecast:

I have been advised that the flickering issue has been narrowed down to the september update of Office. Since this update, outlook users have been experiencing the flickering. This is not related to/caused by the Mimecast for Outlook plug-in. If you have installed the september updated on your office, is there a way you could roll back on a test machine and see if this still occurs. Ultimately this is a Microsoft issue.

So if its this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4011091/descriptionofthesecurityupdateforoutlook2016september12-2017 which i dont have installed then who knows..

Jumat, 09 Februari 2018 11.04
  • baracass is this still the case for you when upgrading to the monthly channel?  I am showing 

February 7, 2018
    Version 1801 (Build 9001.2144) as the latest now.  Still no documentation about a fix for this in the notes...

Jumat, 09 Februari 2018 15.19
  • Yes, still looking good. I have had 8 x machines running 16.0.9001.2138 for the best part of two weeks. Those users report that their Outlook has stopped flashing.
    Senin, 19 Februari 2018 05.25
  • I have applied the February 2018 patches for Office 2013, but with no luck.
    Rabu, 21 Februari 2018 16.22
  • Tried it - but not successful. Still flickering, despite "A-Z".
    Kamis, 22 Februari 2018 07.35
  • All of our reported users are running dell hardware.  I've not seen this occur on HPs, not that we have as many.
    Kamis, 22 Februari 2018 10.55
  • Known issue for years. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2768648/display-issues-in-office-client-applications

I would try to roll back to older display drivers to see if that clears the issue. Otherwise play with some of the display and monitor settings.

Kamis, 22 Februari 2018 15.18
  • I have a fleet of HPs and it happens with ours as well.  Running an online repair of Office and turing off the preview pane seems to help, but not a feasible fix.
    Kamis, 22 Februari 2018 19.29
  • It may sound weird... but changing the default printer driver that is being used by the OS (not office) might help you on it. Why? well... I can't give you a good explanation but just try to change the "default" printer driver to a Microsoft one. It seems that the Office programs use the printer driver to render the graphics that you see on screen. 

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Set-the-default-printer-5eb81e64-fb72-4cfd-894d-0291e0ca44fb

I resolved the issue with this workaround.

Rabu, 28 Februari 2018 11.32
  • I had the same flickering issue on my brand new Latitude 7480, it is working much better since I selected on Outlook>View> message preview> 3 lines . Not  sure what it has to do with the problem but it may help others 
    Rabu, 28 Februari 2018 13.38
  • I have exactly the same problem on my Surface Pro and Outlook from latest Office365. Is there any working solution to deal with the problem available?
    Kamis, 01 Maret 2018 10.37
  • Dos not work for me. Any other ideas/tipps?
    Kamis, 01 Maret 2018 10.37
  • I use all the latest drivers/W10/Office365. 
    Kamis, 01 Maret 2018 10.38
  • I have about 8 to 10 mail-accounts open in Outlook. Might this be the reason for flickering/redrawing?
    Kamis, 01 Maret 2018 10.40
  • Same symptoms on my Surface Pro, too.
    Kamis, 01 Maret 2018 10.41
  • Dos not work for me. Sorting "A-Z" dos not help.
    Kamis, 01 Maret 2018 10.43
  • For me turning off the preview pane dos not help.
    Kamis, 01 Maret 2018 10.45
  • We have a user on a site that gets this problem every few days. We have changed the PC 3 times now and even went with a Dell Core i7 with a 2Gb Graphics card instead of the HP 490 Core i7 she had previously. I believe this issue is specific to the user rather than the hardware\software they are using. This particular user would have access to various shared calendars so I think might be the cause of the issue. We have tried Outlook 2016 connecting to Office 365 with and without the caching file and the problem occurs in both scenarios. I haven't tried the 64 bit version of Office 2016, has anyone had any joy with this version?
    Kamis, 01 Maret 2018 15.59
  • We have a user on a site that gets this problem every few days. We have changed the PC 3 times now and even went with a Dell Core i7 with a 2Gb Graphics card instead of the HP 490 Core i7 she had previously. I believe this issue is specific to the user rather than the hardware\software they are using. This particular user would have access to various shared calendars so I think might be the cause of the issue. We have tried Outlook 2016 connecting to Office 365 with and without the caching file and the problem occurs in both scenarios. I haven't tried the 64 bit version of Office 2016, has anyone had any joy with this version?

Hi Shayboy72,

I have seen some people say that it has fixed the issue for them when moving to 64 bit Office. If you can try this to confirm that would be great and then feedback into this thread.

Jumat, 02 Maret 2018 11.30
  • Hi Blue_Craig, We will give it a go. Problem can take 1-2weeks to happen so I will report back once we have seen a recurrence or if it happens to resolve.
    Minggu, 04 Maret 2018 18.41
  • Hi,

It looks like there was a problem reported here and looks like it worked after disabling Cortona.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_outlook-mso_win10-mso_2016/the-calendar-in-outlook-2016-is-blinkingflickering/07c3ca0f-4b38-4ad9-857e-f7d486d6e9b1

Rabu, 07 Maret 2018 09.20
  • This is on behalf of a Mimecast forum member called Andy Fisher:

Just came off the phone from a 2 hour long call with Microsoft regarding Outlook flashing.

They say that the underlying problem is due to the way that Outlook addresses memory.  They advise that Outlook 32bit can only address 4GB of system memory whereas the add-ins can address 8GB.  When the add ins try to address more than Outlook can handle it starts to flash / crash.

The overall fix is basically to use 64bit Office as it has more capacity for memory than 32 bit office...  but updates have been released for Office 2016 32bit Click-to-run to address the problem by Microsoft. The fix is known as Large Addressing Aware (LAA)...  So supposedly people on latest C2R office should be patched.

https://www.adamfowlerit.com/2017/12/outlook-2013-2016-blank-screens-crashing/

Microsoft  also provided a link to the below article, which relates to the Outlook Flashing issue generally and their roadmap...

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/outlooking/2017/09/06/32-bit-outlook-interface-elements-unexpectedly-render-in-black-white-or-blank/

One fix or way to “mitigate” suggested in the blog is to ensure that “hardware graphics acceleration” is enabled...  The is something that we turned off before Christmas as it was a suggested fix for screen flashing within Citrix.  I am going to get that box unticked again and see what happens... It may well be that a combination of that box unticked and mimecasts latest add-in will work for us - we live in hope!

The article also suggests the following...

"

For impacted users that cannot go to 64-bit Office for one reason or another, and for whom the previous steps do not fully resolve the rendering problems, there are other options to relieve memory pressure. To this end, some or all the following may help:

• Restart Outlook regularly
    • Change DPI settings to greater than 200% on high-res monitors
    • Modify your Outlook workflow
      • Keep fewer Outlook windows/messages open
      • Disable or remove unneeded Outlook COM Add-ins
      • Remove PST files from the profile when not used
      • Avoid touch-scrolling through messages
      • Avoid multiple monitor use with Outlook

"

We have already been working on add-in removal which hasn't really helped and things like monitor dpi settings and avoiding multiple monitors don't work for us due to the way we work - everyone has 2 screens.  Other than that it is basically don't have too much open in outlook at any one time...

The man from Microsoft has gone off to see if there is anything else he can find out or suggest, but ultimately he said if an add-in is causing it and it doesnt happen if there are no add ins loaded then we will have to engage with that add-in provider to resolve... and there we are back in the loop with Microsoft blaming Mimecast and Mimecast blaming Microsoft.

Based on what I was told there may be hope for people on 32 bit C2R office if they ensure the LAA updates are installed.

But you guys on the forum may have other experiences.

I don't know if that helps anyone - again if I hear any more I will post back.   Really the only fix I have to try on my environment is to re-enable hardware acceleration as my office is not click-to-run and is already fully patched.

• Disarankan sebagai Jawaban oleh GleninNJ Rabu, 14 Maret 2018 19.50
    Jumat, 09 Maret 2018 15.12
  • I have this problem and don't use Mimecast. The only addins I have are Microsoft Office Configuration Analyser Tool and Microsoft Azure information Protection.

No one seems to have mentioned this but I think it occurs with certain HTML emails.

Case in point just 5 minutes ago. Outlook behaving fine and I get a HTML formatted message from screwfix.com. Not sure if this is relevant but it went into Clutter and I have screwfix.com as a safe sender hence it downloaded the hosted content.

Preview the message and no issues.

Open the message and I get the flicker/screen redraw.

Right click in the main office window and whilst the context menu is open, no flicker. Cancel the menu and the flicker restarts.

Whilst still flickering, I closed the message window and the flicker stops.

Open the message again and the flicker started again - HOWEVER, whilst typing this with the message still open behind this browser window, the flicker in the main Outlook window stopped and now opening and closing the message doesn't result in flickering. It felt like Outlook was processing/analysing the content of the message and when finished the flickering stopped.

I then restarted Outlook and reopened the screwfix message but no flicker.

Opened a different HTML message and no flicker. Opened another UNREAD screwfix.com message from my Deleted Items and no flicker. Admitted, it did have different marketing content.

Using Office 365 ProPlus 1708 Build 8431.2215 CtR

Rabu, 14 Maret 2018 08.47
  • Honestly I believe Blue_Craig dropped the mic on this whole topic.  (I have been following for nearly 2 months now) The answer seems to be move to 64bit, or use build 1709 or later (Which still isn't out for business channel).  Its a memory addressing issue, which is why it seems to occur when if outlook is open for longer periods of time and you have add-ons, many emails, large emails, etc.
    Rabu, 14 Maret 2018 11.47
  • Well, we have users on 1709 x64 Ent and 64 bit Office 2016 and still have this issue with nearly everyone, so I don't find the answer that either of those or a combination thereof, to in fact be a solution. 
    Kamis, 15 Maret 2018 12.06
  • Hi, WBrady1965, is there plenty of available memory still on the affected machines when the flashing occurs?

Have you tried vmmap to review the virtual memory when the issue occurs?

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askperf/2010/01/28/vmmap-a-peek-inside-virtual-memory/

Jumat, 16 Maret 2018 09.09
  • Use VMMAP to check the memory utilization and proc dump. If both the data confirm the issue is due to memory exhaustion than update you outlook client.

For more info:-

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/outlooking/2017/09/06/32-bit-outlook-interface-elements-unexpectedly-render-in-black-white-or-blank/

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/large-address-aware-in-outlook-2016-ea0913e4-2917-4456-b0ea-935dbd57ef02

Chetan

• Diedit oleh Chetan JS Senin, 19 Maret 2018 05.30
    Senin, 19 Maret 2018 05.05
  • I installed X64Bit O365 on my PC over a month ago and have not had any flashing!  The only hurdle has been plugins like enterprise vault, Bloomberg, etc, have had some hiccups.

I recommend testing the upgrade.

Senin, 19 Maret 2018 20.47
  • Latest from Mimecast: https://community.mimecast.com/community/service-updates/blog/2018/03/09/statement-regarding-microsoft-outlook-2013-and-2016-user-interface-flashing

Is everyone running Exchange online mailboxes or on premise or both!?

Selasa, 20 Maret 2018 16.55
  • Hi Blue Craig, Sorry to report that the problem has happened again with the 64 bit version. It seems to be linked to the fact that this user is connected to multiple calendars. The flickering has occurred when she has tried to access these calendars through the Office 365 portal online.
    Selasa, 20 Maret 2018 18.33
  • Hi,

We have been using W10 - 1607 with Office 2016 (16.0.6741.2071) (1700 PCs - Surface Pro3, SurfacePro4, Thinkpad X1 Carbon i7, Thinkpad X1 Yoga i7. Since migrating to W10 1709 (10.0.16299), multiple users reported the flickering issues in Outlook. We opened a case with MS and haven't found a solution yet (since january). But the problem is clearly coming from migrating to 1709.

Rabu, 21 Maret 2018 18.58
  • Did this issue come back on 64-Bit?
    Rabu, 21 Maret 2018 19.12
  • The issue did come back to haunt me yesterday even after moving to 64Bit. 

It took a lot longer to occur (3 weeks), one thing i noticed was that it happened after i changed my windows password and did not update it in Mimecast Outlook plugin.  After i updated my password in the outlook plugin, the flashing problem dissapeared.

Kamis, 22 Maret 2018 16.05
  • I too have been struggling with this problem. Using Outlook 365 ProPlus Version 1708 (Build 8431.2215) on an HP Envy laptop.  Many of the recommended solutions revolve around finding the "fly in the ointment" or the app, add-in, etc. that is sparking the behavior.  I have a bare-bones install, and notice this problem typically when popping out an email, and/or replying to it.

Today I tried something new.  In the Nvidia Control Panel there is a Manage 3D setting tab.  In this tab, you can select a particular application (i.e. Outlook) and select the preferred  graphics processor to be used by the application.  I toggled Outlook from Integrated Graphics (intel) to the Nvidia Processor, and the flickering went away.

Jumat, 23 Maret 2018 21.02
  • Have been having this issue for a few months now and the solutions I have are to restart Outlook 2016 or take out of full-screen which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't or just wait a while and it may stop.

For me this issue comes at random times and actions.  I might be writing a brand new email and try to paste in an image then the flashing begins.  I might be replying to an email then the flashing begins after I hit reply.  It is all different email sources and nothing is consistent.

I only have one email account in Outlook now and I only have 15 items in my inbox.  Email account is Office365 running ProPlus v1708 Build 8431.2215 CTR Outlook 2016 32-bit hardware graphics acceleration disabled.  My machine is i7-4790 w/8GB RAM 64-bit Win 10 Pro v1709 Build 16299.309.

The Add-ins include Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint Server Colleague Import, Nuance PDF, OneNote Social Connector 2016, Skype Meeting for Microsoft Office 2016 and TeamViewer Meeting.

I have so far concluded this is just another Microsoft programming error hopefully to be resolved in future patches.  I have no time for uninstall/reinstall/upgrade and all the other ridiculous suggestions to troubleshoot this but at least wanted to share this information because it's clear upgrading to 64-bit is not a fix, removing certain Add-ins is not a fix, changing machines is not a fix. Microsoft fixing the software would be a good fix!

For my last flashing experience, I closed the draft email I was working on, took Outlook out of full-screen and it stopped flashing, then I re-opened the draft email, completed, sent and returned Outlook back to full-screen.  No flashing since and I have sent and received another 20+ emails and the flashing has not returned YET... although I am pretty certain it will be back.

Selasa, 03 April 2018 08.04
  • We are rolling out Office 2016 to our 1400 users in the next few week, I will have to postpone this till I see a fix.

I've been on it for the last 2 months and I experience the flickering about 2 times a day. It happens normally when and email has multiple images in the content.<style data-keeper-edited="yes"><br_moz_dirty=""/></style>

Selasa, 03 April 2018 15.22
  • I've been on site at one of my clients today who are running Office 365/2016 on a variety of laptops but mainly Thinkpads. This fault is become an epidemic with nearly all users reporting the problem and that it seems to be getting worse. I've just been called over on three occasions through the day. I've captured a video of one of them. Closing and re-opening Outlook does fix it. All of them are using their laptop as a second screen plugged into a monitor. 

Looks like a memory/resource leak and needs fixing ASAP. 

Kamis, 05 April 2018 17.06
  • >Is everyone running Exchange online mailboxes or on premise or both!

My client is pure Exchange online via Office 365.

Kamis, 05 April 2018 17.09
  • I've been on site at one of my clients today who are running Office 365/2016 on a variety of laptops but mainly Thinkpads. This fault is become an epidemic with nearly all users reporting the problem and that it seems to be getting worse. I've just been called over on three occasions through the day. I've captured a video of one of them. Closing and re-opening Outlook does fix it. All of them are using their laptop as a second screen plugged into a monitor. 

Looks like a memory/resource leak and needs fixing ASAP. 

Same issue here with some co-workers and their Lenovo Yoga X1 G1/G2. Also Running Office365/2016 32-Bit on Windows 10 (1709). I did however suggest to one user to disable a CRM add-in and report to me if that helped. Also running Exchange 2016 on prem as hybrid with O365 but haven't moved any mailboxes to O365 yet.
    Selasa, 10 April 2018 12.57
  • I did a big writeup on this problem, https://www.adamfowlerit.com/2017/12/outlook-2013-2016-blank-screens-crashing/

Awaiting the LAA patch which will hopefully be out in the next few months. I have no immediate fix to offer if you need to keep using Office 2016 MSI 32 bit :(
    • Diedit oleh AdamFowler_ITMVP Selasa, 17 April 2018 08.06
    • Disarankan sebagai Jawaban oleh Roberto Glez Selasa, 17 April 2018 19.15
    • Saran Jawaban dibatalkan oleh Roberto Glez Selasa, 17 April 2018 19.15
    Selasa, 17 April 2018 08.05
  • Hi,

Did someone test with o365 1803 ?

We recently have read this article that talks about in Office 365 1709 https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Large-Address-Aware-in-Outlook-2016-ea0913e4-2917-4456-b0ea-935dbd57ef02?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

• Diedit oleh Roberto Glez Rabu, 18 April 2018 18.37
    • Disarankan sebagai Jawaban oleh EdouardAudet Kamis, 26 April 2018 15.13
    Selasa, 17 April 2018 19.18
  • After reading this post, I checked and noticed I had three calendars in addition to the main one I use.  When I tried to access them, the error "The set of folders cannot be opened".  So I looked up the that solution online and found this fix:

Reset Navigation Pane

In this solution, we will reset the navigation pane settings in Outlook. Close all applications.

Hold Windows key and press R. In the run dialog, type

Outlook.exe /resetnavpane

and press Enter. If Outlook starts fine, you’re good. Close and Re-open normally.

Those inaccessible calendar folders are no longer there.  I will see if this stops the flashing on my computer.

Selasa, 17 April 2018 20.24
  • OK, I went a whole 2 days without flickering/flashing after doing the resetnavpane instruction above.  And the first time I scheduled a meeting that included reserving a "room", the flickering returned upon leaving the calendar view and returning to the folder/inbox view.  Shayboy72 is correct; multiple calendars are related to this issue.

The issue started after Windows 10 had a major update about 2 months ago.

Kamis, 19 April 2018 20.23
  • Happening on my Surface Book 2, also.  Running 64-bit W10 Pro 1709 with 8 GB and 2.6GHz.  MSO is 32-bit ProPlus 1708 (16.0.8431.2242 C2R).

I'm seeing it happen with no discernable pattern.  And today I was replying to an email and the preview pane simply blanked out.  I saved the email, closed Outlook, reopened, and the email (saved in Drafts) was fine.  It happened a second time and I hit "send" anyway and the email was intact.

The only 'pattern' that I can come up with is during navigation.  Between folders, different emails, or to different tabs (have only seen it happen relating to the calendar once, though).

Thankfully, I'm only restarting Outlook 2-3 times a day.  I'm going to upgrade to MSO 64-bit and see if it helps.

Jumat, 20 April 2018 15.26
  • We found the flickering issue affecting specific type of laptops (Lenovo Think Pad X1 Yoga 1st Gen, Lenovo Think Pad X1 Carbon 4th Gen, Surface Pro 4 Intel i5-6300U) with W10 1709. We made a test with some users updating Office to 1803. Since the update, no more flickering issue in Outlook. 

Kamis, 26 April 2018 15.14
  • I have not seen any more flashing after recent updates in 32 and 64 bit.

Mimecast did cause an issue one time on my 64bit machine, i noticed i was not logged into the plugin and outlook started to flash.  Maybe the cache builds up and cannot dump for some reason when Mimecast isn't authenticated but as soon as I logged in the flashing was resolved.

Rabu, 02 Mei 2018 14.37
  • Im assuming most users mailboxes are hosted with MS?
    Kamis, 03 Mei 2018 13.41
  • Looks like Microsoft have now released LAA for Outlook 32-bit version of Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2013 which should resolve the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4022148/update-to-enable-large-address-aware-for-the-32-bit-version-of-outlook

• Disarankan sebagai Jawaban oleh Blue_Craig Jumat, 04 Mei 2018 07.59
    • Saran Jawaban dibatalkan oleh Blue_Craig Kamis, 17 Mei 2018 08.50
    Jumat, 04 Mei 2018 07.59
  • Im still seeing this issue even with KB4022148 installed, using Citrix XenApp 6.5 with Dell Optiplex 3020/3040s
    Selasa, 15 Mei 2018 15.29
  • I am still seeing this issue as well on Citrix XenDesktop even with the latest patch that enables LAA for Outlook 2013
    Kamis, 17 Mei 2018 08.51
  • same here usually occurs when we have lots of applications or specifically browsers and tabs open, almost feels like a system resource issue, citrix xendesktop windows 10, office 2016 off premise but mastered onsite, we've increased video ram, set a page file. have the latest patch installed.
    Kamis, 17 Mei 2018 09.04
  • We hadn't set the following reg key, so make sure you do this as well as install KB4018376. Just only pushed this reg key out, so can't say if it has fixed the issue or not.

Outlook 2013

Install the May 1, 2018, update for Outlook 2016 (KB4018372).

After you install the update, set the following registry subkey value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\ReserveHighAddressRange

DWORD value: 0 (zero)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4022148/update-to-enable-large-address-aware-for-the-32-bit-version-of-outlook

Kamis, 17 Mei 2018 20.11
  • Just throwing this out there in the spirit of helpfulness, since all kinds of other things have been tried. My users are on Dell E7450 Latitudes with Outlook 2013 32 bit/Win 7 64 bit SP1, 16 GB RAM so YMMV, you may find equivalent settings to tweak on Win 10.

For the recent user I helped with the blinking issue, I tried a number of things that have helped with other Outlook issues:

In Outlook, change the Navigation options to "Compact Navigation" mode - that disables the calendar popups/previews, which helps kill some of the resource draw for animation.

I set the users' Personalization to Win 7 Basic theme and set System Properties -> Advanced tab -> Settings... ->Visual Effects tab to "Adjust for best performance", then only click on Enable desktop composition, Show translucent selection rectangle, Show Windows contents while dragging, Smooth edges of screen fonts, Smooth scroll list boxes, Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop, and Use visual styles on windows and buttons. This eliminates more animation.

As mentioned by someone else, I've also had the user keep less windows of messages open at a time as well.

This combination seemed to help the issue for him, without resorting to regedits, Outlook safe mode, disabling addins, and so forth. We are starting to have more users with the problem, so I will have to see if this helps with them as well.

Kamis, 07 Juni 2018 21.24
  • try unchecking "Hide When Minimixed" flag.
    • Diedit oleh JotPrabh Jumat, 15 Juni 2018 04.46
    Jumat, 15 Juni 2018 04.45
  • Just a quick update - After installing the Hotfix it was a bit better but still issues with flashing, after including the Reg key mentioned in the fine print and by Blue_Craig that I over looked we haven't had any flashing issues for 2 weeks. Hopefully that's fixed it!!

The Regkey in question is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\ReserveHighAddressRange

DWORD value: 0 (zero)

Jumat, 15 Juni 2018 13.33
  • I had a similar issue on multiple PCs, so different hardware and changing to  Office2016 (o365) did not resolve the issue. It would occur 2-3 times a day. Changing the display drivers helps a little but not make the issue go away totally.

Changing the visual effects to "BEST" performance resolved my issue.

Rabu, 20 Juni 2018 09.48
  • I have had the same issue.

it comes and goes.

i have tried some shot-gun fixes.

nothing to do with outlook setup per se.

the things i have found that help most is

1. reduce the number of emails associated with my account.

i normally keep just about everything i get or send in email... but there is a bunch of fluff there too... i have zapped those emails.

2. watch memory consumption

i am a developer and tend to have many things going on at the same time with my box...   one of which is running RDP's and VM's on my box.   i have found that if i close an RDP or restart a VM this resolves the problem.

very anecdotal, but this is what helped me.

• Diedit oleh CASorter Jumat, 24 Agustus 2018 17.31
    Jumat, 24 Agustus 2018 17.28
  • It seems that removing some shared calendars solved the issue for me. 

Thanks!

Rabu, 29 Agustus 2018 09.31
  • Upgrading to Windows 10 and Office 2016 64 bit has resolved the issue for us.
    • Disarankan sebagai Jawaban oleh Blue_Craig Minggu, 02 September 2018 09.04
    Rabu, 29 Agustus 2018 16.04