none
Memory exhaustion on Win10 Pro via RDP

Pertanyaan

• Hello, I'm using freerdp to check RDP availability of a Win10 virtual machine running under Proxmox 5.2 (kvm). The command used is: /usr/bin/xfreerdp /cert-ignore /auth-only /u:$USER /p:$PASS /v:$HOST Every time this command is launched, the svchost.exe process related to "TermService" grows around 8MB in its "private bytes" memory. That amount is reduced to around 5MB if you set the display size in freerdp to 1x1 (/size:1x1). That memory is never returned to the system and in a few days some messages related to "resource exhaustion" are logged and eventually RDP stops working. At that time, that svchost.exe process has more than 10GB of "private bytes" (VM has 20GB total memory). Win10 needs to be restarted for RDP to work again, as restarting TermServices service does not help. Adding memory or a bigger pagefile to the VM only delays the time when RDP stops working, it will eventually fail anyway. I dont know if this is caused by FreeRDP shutting down the connection without notifying the RDP Server properly or if it is a Windows issue or a configuration issue. It's very easy to create a DoS to a Win10 Pro RDP server if you have valid credentials. I haven't tested any other Windows version nor any other virtualization environment. Luckly, it doesn't happend if you dont have valid credentials. Please, give it a look to find out what could be causing this behaviour.

Thanks a lot

Rabu, 11 Juli 2018 08.36

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

Both the software and the command lien you had mentioned are 3rd party product which are manufactured by company that is independent of Microsoft. 

I am afraid that I am unable to re-product such production, and suggestion just for your reference:
    As you had mentioned that, if memory exhaustion problem only happens when launching the command, we can suppose that there may be process compatibility problem.

If possible, please build another Windows 10 with same OS version and build, confirm that if similar problem happens again.

Also, on problematic system, we can try to check/install available update, patch the system fully, it would be helpful for resolving some known issues and improving the performance and check the result. 

Please open cmd and type “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Kamis, 12 Juli 2018 08.04
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Senin, 16 Juli 2018 03.23
  • Hello,

I have just finished installing another VM with the same OS version and installed all updates. Also did a couple of runs of "sfc /scannow": the first one found some errors and corrected them, the second one found none.

Anyway, the same problem happens with this new VM.

I understand that "freerdp" isnt a Microsoft product, but the problem is that Windows 10 seems to misbehave when using a simple command over its RDP service. Windows should be able to free that memory, even if "freerdp" is doing something wrong.

Please, can anyone else reproduce this issue?

Thank you

Senin, 16 Juli 2018 10.33
  • Hello,

I'm still seeing this issue. Please, could anyone check this too?

Thank you

Jumat, 20 Juli 2018 12.35