none
Impossible to remove email from an E1 licensed user account

Pertanyaan

• Hello.  

ISSUE: I have an E1 account mailbox that is past full.  No matter what I try, I cannot delete email from this account. If I do manage to make an email disappear, it comes right back after a few minutes.

I found this article, and followed, using MFCMAPI, but I had the exact same issue as the OP, ie, same message as his screenshot, and, even though the Deleted Items folder will disappear from MFCMAPI, a refresh shows it's still there, same as OP (Warning message from OP's screenshot: Code: MAPI_W_PARTIAL_COMPLETION ==0x00040680...)

Info About the Account

• The account is a user account (not shared), but no one logs into it, however I've logged into it to troubleshoot. 
    • I have full access to the account granted via EAC.  No one else has access to the account. I'm not even sure what it's for, and there's no paper trail, unfortunately, but it's tied into another system that's failing as a result of the mailbox being full. I just need to empty the mailbox.
    • The account had a retention policy applied, to move older email to archive, but I've removed it. My account has the same policy but I don't have the problem. I removed the policy earlier today...maybe it takes time.
    • Even though  I removed the policy, in OWA, under Mail Options/Retention Policy, it still shows the policy I removed. I'm not sure this has anything to do with this issue.
    • The account is not on litigation hold. I've verified in EAC and Powershell (litigationHoldEndabled=FALSE).
    • I've enable an online archive, but the policy is two years, and there isn't two years worth of email...mostly this year and last year.
    • There are no rules on the account

The only way I can get an email to delete, is by granting delegate access to myself as an owner, but they just reappear, as if something is prohibiting permanent deletion.  Before granting myself delegate access, if I tried to delete an email from Deleted Items, for ex, I get the prompt to permanently delete, but nothing happens thereafter. Once I granted myself delegate access, the email will delete, but reappears after a few minutes.  Same thing happens with the Inbox. Inbox, Deleted Items, and Archive are the only folders with email.  

*Tools to clean the mailbox do not work... nothing happens.

I've ensured to not use cached exchange mode. I've tried opening the account under my own profile, and as it's own profile, and on another computer, logging in with the user account.  I've used OWA, which, is actually the only way I've been able to delete anything, since Outlook just doesn't respond to any permanent delete requests. 

I also tried to purge recovered items, but nothing shows.  

Went back to MFCMAPI to try and delete the contents of folder Archive, and I select permanently delete but nothing happens. 

I'm at a complete loss as to how to empty this mailbox short of removing the account. 

Are there any other options?  

Robert Harris

Kamis, 12 Juli 2018 18.54

Semua Balasan

• I've ensured to not use cached exchange mode. I've tried opening the account under my own profile, and as it's own profile, and on another computer, logging in with the user account.  I've used OWA, which, is actually the only way I've been able to delete anything, since Outlook just doesn't respond to any permanent delete requests. 

Hi,

Do you mean you can delete items successfully in OWA without any issue? 

Please make sure this mailbox is enabled in Exchange side, try to move it to another database, then logon to delete items and check if the issue can be fixed.

If this mailbox is not in use and you want to wipe the mailbox content, I suggest you can try to use Search-mailbox cmdlet in Exchange side to delete mailbox content:

Search-Mailbox -Identity "<MailboxOrMailUserIdParameter>" -DeleteContent -force

The DeleteContent switch specifies that the messages returned by the search be permanently deleted from the source mailbox.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Jumat, 13 Juli 2018 07.52
  • Hello.  

Unfortunately, I cannot delete email from anywhere, OWA, Outlook, Powershell, MFCMAPI. 

Regarding Search-Mailbox -Identity "<MailboxOrMailUserIdParameter>" -DeleteContent -force, I was hoping to preserve some of the email, rather than wipe it out entirely. And I think I have an idea of what's going on.

It seems the account is POP3 enabled, and I think that has something to do with it.  I've tried to set up a POP account in my Outlook client, using the POP/IMAP/SMTP info from Options/Mail/Accounts but fails to connect.  I'm waiting on a response from some coworkers who might have more info. 

Even if I can't connect with Outlook client, I should be able to delete email from OWA, correct?  If so, it's not working. The ONLY thing I can do is soft delete, ie, delete mail from inbox (or some other sub folder) and it's moved to Deleted Items, from where it refuses to remove, permanently. 

Robert Harris

Jumat, 13 Juli 2018 17.51
  • Hi Robert,

If the delete issue persists in OWA, I suspect the issue is related to the mailbox level in Exchange server. To get more suggestion, I would move the thread to Exchange forum for more help.

Thanks for your understanding.                                                           

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Selasa, 17 Juli 2018 06.05
  • Hi Robert

The issue could be because of mailbox corruption, did you try soft deleting the entire mailbox and recover it and then try deleting emails.

If that does not work I would recommend you to open a case with Microsoft support as they run SOP's on there end to fix the corruption issue.

Thanks

Kindly mark the reply as answer if it helps

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robin Nishad Technical Consultant

• Disarankan sebagai Jawaban oleh Robin Nishad Selasa, 14 Agustus 2018 20.59
    Rabu, 18 Juli 2018 22.47
  • Hi R0b4rt

Just checking if the issue is resolved by the suggestion or not.

Thanks

Robin Nishad - Technical Consultant Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Selasa, 14 Agustus 2018 20.59