none
How Can I Recover All My Office Outlook 365 Rules that Vanished After I Installed a Hotmail Account?

Pertanyaan

• I installed my Hotmail account in Outlook 365, and then the Outlook rules vanished. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

In an attempt to recover the rules, I renamed my current pst file and then restored a backup file that I had saved before I installed the Hotmail account. I had hoped to export the rules from that file and then import them into my current pst file. But the rules weren't visible in that file either. This would seem to imply that Outlook has rendered the rules invisible in a pst file, or it erases them as soon as it opens the file.<o:p></o:p>

This is the same problem as was discussed earlier here.  This person also lost the rules after installing a Hotmail account.<o:p></o:p>

Is there a way I can get the rules back, perhaps from one of my backup pst files? <o:p></o:p>

(I've deleted the Hotmail account from Outlook, but that didn't help. I haven't deleted the account itself.)<o:p></o:p>

Thank you for your help,<o:p></o:p>

Don Macnaughton<o:p></o:p>

Jumat, 13 Juli 2018 03.14

Jawaban

• I reinstalled Office in the hope that this would allow me to recover the rules from an old PST file, but that didn't work. Then I discovered that the Outlook rules are stored in the registry, as discussed here.

So I reasoned that Outlook had erased my dear rules from the registry and they were gone for ever. So I set out to recreate the rules. As soon as I created the first rule, all the old rules returned. And they appear to be working properly.

So if you, the reader, are having this problem, try creating a new rule because that may cause all your rules to return.

Don Macnaughton

Sabtu, 14 Juli 2018 02.14

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

Which type of email account is it that the missing rules belongs to? IMAP, POP3 or Exchange?

Outlook rules are stored in your mailbox or PST file. Theoretically, adding a new account won't cause the rules to lost. Are your incoming emails still handled by these rules now (moving to corresponding folder, etc.)? When viewing your rules, did you select the correct account from the drop-down menu?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Jumat, 13 Juli 2018 08.47
  • Hello Steve,

Thank you. The rules were stored in my main Outlook file, which was used as the repository for emails for three POP3 accounts. In testing a new server I had briefly converted the accounts to IMAP, but then converted back to POP3.

As noted above, the rules vanished after I installed the Hotmail (Exchange) account.

I'm familiar with the Rules and Alerts panel that you illustrate above. In the past it had a large set of rules, but now there are none. Nor is there a drop-down menu. Here's a picture:

The strangest thing is that if I rename the current version of the file and then import and open an old version of it that I know contains the rules, they aren't present. This would appear to imply that Outlook is either erasing the rules from the file or it is hiding them.

What can I try next?

Don Macnaughton

Jumat, 13 Juli 2018 11.50
  • I reinstalled Office in the hope that this would allow me to recover the rules from an old PST file, but that didn't work. Then I discovered that the Outlook rules are stored in the registry, as discussed here.

So I reasoned that Outlook had erased my dear rules from the registry and they were gone for ever. So I set out to recreate the rules. As soon as I created the first rule, all the old rules returned. And they appear to be working properly.

So if you, the reader, are having this problem, try creating a new rule because that may cause all your rules to return.

Don Macnaughton

Sabtu, 14 Juli 2018 02.14
  • Thank you for sharing your experience here. It will definitely help other community members who may encounter a similar issue.

Cheers,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Jumat, 20 Juli 2018 09.28