none
Why no sound?

Pertanyaan

• I am trying out Windows hyper-v and as far as creating a VM with various operating systems it goes along quite well, but I am very disappointed at the fact there is no audio (sound) for any other guest OS unless it is Windows. Very disappointed, makes no sense to me at all.
    31 Oktober 2017 16:58

Semua Balasan

• You need to connect to the VM with RDP.  Hyper-V doesn't emulate the sound card, but Remote Desktop will pass it through.

Remote Desktop is the recommended way to connect to your Hyper-V VMs.

Edit: sorry, missed your part about other OSes.
    • Diedit oleh essjae 31 Oktober 2017 20:42
    31 Oktober 2017 20:33
  • Hi therainer.live,

As far as I know, to enable the sound for the VM, we need to enable "Enhanced session mode", enhanced session mode works for RDP based connections to VMs. While some other systems, like Ubuntu may not support as it does not have an RDP server that you can install to make an RDP connection to.

You'd better turn to the third-party system community to check if the system supports RDP, so that the VM can work with Enhanced session mode the have sound.

Here is a similar thread, for your reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/41eacffb-79ca-484f-8816-96fca295cdf1/how-to-enable-sound-using-hyperv-with-ubuntu-1504?forum=w8itprovirt

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

01 Nopember 2017 8:06
  • Hi therainer.live,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help, if yes, please mark useful reply as answer, if you have other concerns, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

06 Nopember 2017 6:04
  • Hi therainer.live,

Looking forward to your feedback on this thread. We are glad to help if you need any additional assistance.

Best Regards,

Anne

14 Nopember 2017 2:31
  • I can not get sound with Windows 10 in Hyper-V. Hoe to enable "Enhanced session mode". I dont even get sound with  RDP. Just purchase a new Windows 10 Proo license to try some new program in a virtual machine before install them on my real Windows 10 PC. Must say I think Hyper-V is tricky. Take some time to understand a easy thing like to get out on Internet with my machine :) VM-Ware and Virtual Box is more mainstream then Hyper-V but now I have my W10 license on the Hyper-V machine. Must learn this.

Sorry for some swedish:

https://youtu.be/FeD_qFWH-QI

20 Januari 2018 19:32
  •   Yes, Hyper-V is not as user friendly as some other virtualization systems. It was developed to run on servers, not client OS machines.

Did you try to connect to the vm using Windows RDP from the host?

If you are running Hyper-V on Windows 10 you would be better off posting in the Windows 10 forum, not this server forum.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=win10itprovirt

Bill

20 Januari 2018 23:09
  • I will try USB sound device and USB device sharing within host and virtual system. Maybe will works.
    18 Mei 2018 5:00