none
E-Mail address of digital signature does not match sending address

Pertanyaan

• Hello,

from my point of view, Outlook does have a strange behavior of marking mails as correctly digitally signed.

I sometimes detect the following case:

• a mail is sent from sharedmailbox@domain.tld
    • but the mail is digitally signed with a certificate for a different e-mail address (e.g. user@domain.tld).
    • the outlook of recipient of that mail does not show any failure / with that mail (e.g. there are problems with the signature...).

Is that behavior of Outlook correct?

I thought that e-mail address of the sender must match with the e-mail address in the certificate of the sender?

Thanks.

Regards Alex

18 Mei 2018 13:23

Semua Balasan

• Hi Alex,

May I know how the shared mailbox was added to your Outlook? Which permission do you have over the shared mailbox?

>>I thought that e-mail address of the sender must match with the e-mail address in the certificate of the sender?

I agree with this. The certificate for the shared mailbox must be installed and configured to be able to send digitally signed/encrypted messages.

Besides, you may have a look at Alex's reply in the following thread and see whether it provides any help:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/225bd299-2d1d-4878-b172-cbab2cf29641/email-encryption-with-shared-mailboxes?forum=exchangesvrsecuremessaging

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

21 Mei 2018 8:22
  • Hi Steve,

thanks for your answer.

The shared mailbox was added manually via File --> Options --> ... & we do have full access & send as permissions assigned.

>>>> I thought that e-mail address of the sender must match with the e-mail address in the certificate of the sender?

>>I agree with this. The certificate for the shared mailbox must be installed and configured to be able to send digitally signed/encrypted messages.

And that's the point:

1. The certificate of the shared mailbox is NOT installed. Instead, the certificate of the user is used, when sending the mail.
    2. Additionally, Outlook of the recipient is not marking that mail to show the user that a wrong certificate is used.

Regards Alex

22 Mei 2018 7:48