none
Outlook 2016 prevent previous search popup

Pertanyaan

• Is it possible to prevent search from displaying previous search results when I click on the search field? Every time I start to search, I have to click away before I can start typing my search text. I know there's an option for displaying results as I type, but that setting is different than what I'm talking about. This only started to happen in 2016 - it didn't happen in 2010 or 2013.

Thanks.

06 Maret 2017 13:20

Semua Balasan

• Hi,

Do you mean Outlook 2016 will display previous search results when clicking into the search box? In theory, Outlook won't display any search result when you just click into the search box.

What type of email account are you using? If you are using an Exchange account, do you have cached Exchange mode enabled?

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

07 Maret 2017 6:16
  • Thanks, Steve. Outlook 2016 displays previous searches, not the results. I'm on Exchange.

I'm still hoping for a way to stop it, but it isn't a huge deal. First world problem, know what I mean? I think it's bothering me more than some others because I've set my search so that when I click the search field, it automatically displays the fields I search the most like this:

It also automatically shows previous search queries, but it's a pop-down so that it covers everything below the top field.

07 Maret 2017 12:58
  • I see, these are the search criteria added via the More button under the Search tab:

These criterias are remembered next time when searching once enabled. We can easily close them via clicking the 'X' button next to the criteria.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

09 Maret 2017 9:54
  • Sorry, I was unclear when I posted that image. I set up the search criteria on purpose. I finally figured out how to save the pop-down image that shows the problem.

Those are previous search results. As soon as I click the Search field, this pops down and covers the To, From, Subject, and Body search fields I set up, so I have to click again to make that pop-down go away before I can type in those fields.

09 Maret 2017 13:27
  • Thank you for the update.

According to my knowledge, there is no option available to disable the recent searches feature in Outlook. We can only clear the recent searches MRU via deleting the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\profile-name\0a0d020000000000c000000000000046
    REG_BINARY:
    101f0445

We may try to create a .reg file as per the following Microsoft KB article to delete the registry entry as a workaround. However, you will have to run the .reg file frequently as the search MRU creates once you search.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/310516/how-to-add,-modify,-or-delete-registry-subkeys-and-values-by-using-a-.reg-file

Regards,

Steve Fan

10 Maret 2017 2:21
  • TR-CPC - Did you find a solution to this?  This is extremely frustrating to me as well.  I search my email EXACTLY as you do.  I have added a few criteria like subject, date, from, to, etc and this pop up infuriates me in a way I cannot describe.  The fact that it is delayed by a second or two is the most frustrating part.  I click in the search box, the search options appear, then i click in the from box to search from a certain person, and boom, in the time it took my computer to process the click, the pop up appears, and my click is on some pointless recent search and it sends my computer into an unnecessary search.  Then I have to close the search and start all over.  And then I scream profanities at my computer.

The only workaround i've found is to train myself to click in the extreme far right region of the search criteria, to avoid clicking the popup if it appears.

15 Juni 2017 19:59
  • kleeb,

It's always about the workaround, isn't it? :-)

I didn't find a solution, so I've basically been doing what you're doing and learned to live with it. However, my situation doesn't sound as painful as yours because my search box pops up immediately, so it doesn't add much time for me to close the search box.

FWIW, I start to see outlook drag when I have over 5000 or so messages in my inbox. I've gotten into the habit of moving miscellaneous emails (ie, emails I don't already have a specific folder for) from the previous month into a folder named for the year. That seems to keep my inbox pretty snappy. I also set my search default to Current Folder instead of Current Mailbox. That sometimes means I have to hunt for the correct folder, but I generally know where to look so it's worth it.

15 Juni 2017 20:19
  • I have found that if I click directly on the magnifying glass (not just a random spot on the right) that the recent search terms still pop-up but they pop-up BELOW the search fields that I have setup, like yours. I still don't like it but it doesn't slow down my searches with a 2nd click to get to my search fields. 
    • Disarankan sebagai Jawaban oleh Old Haird 14 Juni 2018 12:35
    09 Agustus 2017 14:01
  • m_acree, nice work. That definitely helps.

Now if only I could search subfolders of shared folders again, life with Outlook 365 would really be great.

09 Agustus 2017 14:05
  • Hi Steve,

This is yet another example of Microsoft adding "features" which are not only useless but also break previously available function.  Do you test anything that you add?

Get rid of this popup!  Who on earth keeps searching the same thing over and over?

09 April 2018 17:33
  • I agree.

The popup needs to go away.

Previously, if I wanted to view previous search criteria, I'd click in the "Search Current Mailbox" box and then down arrow to bring up the popup. This is most useful on the rare occasions you have very specific criteria you want to edit. For example:

from:SoAndSo contents:workorder received:>4/22/2018 received:<4/28/2018 category:ToDo

vs. 

from:SoAndSo contents:workorder received:>4/22/2018 received:<4/28/2018 category:Done

--JKH

30 April 2018 15:17
  • Furthermore to this point, if you do the equivalent of a slow double click in the search area the prior searches go away. 

I agree with every negative comment made on this thread and it is really a shame that Microsoft software creators do not really seem to be serious users of their own software.  If they were they would make these rather simple fixes immediately.  I would love to have a monopoly like theirs so I could ignore what customers care about. What a privilege!

14 Juni 2018 12:40