none
Almost invisible control points in pencil mode in Visio 2013/2016

Question

• our company is a Silver Microsoft Partner and our core product is a facility manangment addin for MS Visio.

Actually we have a really huge problem since Visio 2013, for us and for all our customers. Right until now we try to let them stick to Visio 2010 because one major point is not usable. We often need to make changes to the form of a shape and we do this with the pencil tool. Now, since Visio 2013 the visible control points in the pencil mode are not visible in the same way as in Visio 2010. And in Visio 2016 it get even worse. Actually the Control Points in pencil mode are almost invisible.

I Show you 2 pictures of the same file and shape with the same zoom factor and being in pencil mode. One pic in Visio 2010 and one picture in Visio 2016, I think you get the point.

As you can see, it is almost impossible to see the control Points and therefore its nearly impossible to make changes to the form of a shape. At least it takes about double or triple time to make the same
    changes.

Control Points in Visio 2010 (Original Size)

Control Points in Visio 2016 (Original Size)

Is there any Chance to get a better visibility back in future versions of Visio?

Senior Software Developer
    FaciWare GmbH
    Prinzregentenstrasse 6-8
    83022 Rosenheim
    Germany

Friday, December 2, 2016 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Carl Thomas Hartl,

Based on your description, I tested this problem in my environment.

I added a shape and change to Pencil mode, I found if I don't move the pencil to Shape the points will be hidden.

I didn't get your problem, please provide a sample about your problem and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 3:12 AM
  • Emi, at your second picture i see very small handles ! :)

Carl Thomas Hartl, please check settings at Behavior Window

Check these options !

Developer Tab -> Behavior. How make Developer Tab visible

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:03 PM
  • Hello Emi & Surrogate,

Thank you for your ideas.

@Surrogate: Thank you, i checked this settings and they are enabled by default in our installations of Visio.

I find out the following what seems to be the main Problem:

@Emi: I did the same as you did with a simple new and empty template. And i found out that in a small template i get the same visible coontrol Points as you do, as you can see in this Picture. So check out this picture with a zoom level of 50%:

Control handles in Visio 2016 (Zoom 50%)

But as we work on floor plans with sometimes very big scales, our normal zoom level is 400% and up. As we need to make changes to small rooms in a big paper size layout for the visio page. And now look for the same shape you can see above in a 400% zoom Level. Then you can see how the control handles get almost invisible. I think you can reproduce with wour own drawing:

Control handles in Visio 2016 (Zoom 400%)

So i think the problem only is "visible" (or not, as you wish :)) in a high zoom Level of Visio 2016.

So if the Control handles just would stay the same size regardless from the zoom Level, we would be fine.

Regards,

Carl Thomas Hartl

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:42 PM
  • Hi again,

is there any chance that this major problem (when you work with big scale drawings) can be fixed in a future version of Visio?

Regards,

Senior Software Developer
    FaciWare GmbH
    Prinzregentenstrasse 6-8
    83022 Rosenheim
    Germany

Friday, December 16, 2016 12:27 PM
  • Hi Thomas Hartl,

In my opinion, this problem may related to the color of your shape and the weight of line in shape.

I changed a similar style of shape as yours and as shown in the following figure, when Zoom 400% it's also hard to see the points in shape:

How about changing the color and line weight of your shape as a workaround?

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 19, 2016 9:40 AM