none
question on high memory utilization RRS feed

• Question

• My Hyper-V server always go high on util. Im using Windows server 2012 R2, 64G ram, 2Sockets 8 cores each. Dynamic memory disabled.

Here are the specs of ny VMs and its numa config:

VM1:

4vcpu

2 Gig start up memory

VM2:

2vcpu

8Gig start up memory

VM3:

8vcpu

16Gig start up memory

I'm suspecting numa is the culprit but I am not sure.

My Question is, in NUMA Topology, what does Max # of processors and Max amount of memory mean? Am I correct to say that if the application requires more memory than it was allocated then it will grab memory from other numa nodes up to the maximum that is set in numa topology?

What should be the ideal max numa processor and memory?

Running rammap does no good since when the server is in high util i can no longer login to the server, only choice is to do hard reboot.

Thursday, March 21, 2019 1:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• Don't think the issue is with NUMA. The maximum CPU and memory value means that if you specify a larger value to a single VM, NUMA spanning will occur, which does not happened in your situation. What is the status with CPU and memory on your Host when all VM's are running? 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Thursday, March 21, 2019 7:08 AM
  • Right now CPU utilization and Memory is at normal. After 2 to 3 weeks memory will start to build up. All VMs are always running. I just restarted the Host yesterday.
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Check if there is any firmware update available for your physical server and try to update it. It might help. 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Thursday, March 21, 2019 10:59 AM
  • You don't say anything about the applications that are running in the VMs.  That is the most likely area to be using memory.  For example, an application might not be freeing memory properly, causing it to slowly use more and more memory over time.

tim

Thursday, March 21, 2019 1:49 PM

• VM1 is radius server, windows 2008 r2 with ntp installed.

VM2 is print server  and dhcp server, windows 2008 r2.

VM3 is window server 2012, with SQL server 2008 and a 3rd party software from hauwei for monitoring.

I will try to see if there are any significant updates from microsoft.

Friday, March 22, 2019 1:20 AM
  • Which of the VMs is showing the high memory utilization?  Print servers can use extra memory for caching.  SQL, particularly older versions, can tend to increase in size to use all available memory for caching.  

tim

Friday, March 22, 2019 2:36 PM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                    

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, March 25, 2019 5:24 AM
  • Hi All!,

Sorry for the late update. It took long for me to respond since I was still observing, So this is what I did. I enabled Dynamic memory on one vm that has MS SQL on it and left it there for a while. Memory still keeps on rising, so what I did was unchecked dynamic memory allocation then restart the hosts. Now memory is not going beyond 50%.

Thanks everyone!

Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:19 PM